It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baha Mousa inquiry: 'Serious discipline breach' by army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Now, I have recently contributed to a thread opened by HomerNC. He attempted to show the human side of the military, only to be repeatedly shot down for doing so.

So, let me try another approach. I am ex-military, I served with pride and hope that I upheld the good name of the British Military. Yes I went to war and yes I did what soldiers do in times of conflict.

However, please take a look at this BBC report:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Not all soldiers are good soldiers. I hope that all involved get the book thrown at them.
There is no place for this sort of conduct in our Armed Services.
Please note that these perps are brought to justice. It is not acceptable for troops to take the law into their own hands. There are procedures in place and they are to be followed, without exception.
War brings the best and the worst out of people. This is the worst.

So, for all you current serving members, please be mindful of your duty and duty of care.
For all you that have not served and are critical of us, please not that the majority of us do not condone this behaviour and I for one would not hesitate to report and bring to justice those that conduct this disgraceful behaviour.
edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

Edit: Oh, and HomerNC, thank you for trying to bring a smile to some of our faces.
edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spellin, as usual. I should have been a doctor.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Recently, in a different thread, someone pointed out that they didn't condemn all military because of few who may have acted inapropriately.
I thanked him, and in the same vein, stated that I didn't think all civlians were evil-minded and crazy because of a few who killed innocents.

Peopl are good, are bad, We try to weed the bad ones out of the services, but sometimes it doesn't work.

S&F for bringing some balance.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, it is not just evident in the military. Civilians are just as capable of commiting these sort of crimes too.
Just because a person wears a uniform, it does not give them the right to be judge, jury and executioner.
Infact, because the person is in uniform, he has more responsibilty than Joe on the street.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

The failure of commanding officer Col Jorge Mendonca to prevent abuse by his men was identified as "very significant" by Sir William.

While it was accepted that Col Mendonca was unaware of the abuse, Sir William said: "As commanding officer, he ought to have known what was going on in that building long before Baha Mousa died.

The commanding officer was unaware ?? It says in the report that the prisoners were screaming and nobody in power heard this. wonder if he will face disciplinary procedures.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

He bloody well should. The chain of command failed in this case. If he was unaware, he was not doing his job. The Junior Officers below him failed to use the chain of command and report this abuse.

The whole organisation should be reviewed and heads should roll.

A Senior Officer is responsible for the conduct of ALL that serves below.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The "old school tie brigade" will keep him right ill bet, Same as the other incident where all the younger toms got jail and discharge, while no senior officer got any disciplinary action,
you remember the picture of the guy on the forklift pallet, that incident ? just so happens theres a Warrior AFV command vehicle staffed at all times by a command post officer and they "allegedly" did not see or here anything ether, It was parked 7 foot away, So much for looking after your own, makes me mad

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The CPO was either asleep or skiving off somewhere. He should have had, at the very least, a severe reprimand.
For those who think that is getting off lightly, you try and get promoted with one of those hanging around your neck.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I can see what you are trying to say but I just think war is wrong, plain and simple. Such massive scale violence on a commercial foundation is like a disease in the Human species. We constantly fight. We can't stop fighting. Death and destruction. For what. There is no large scale terrorist force that requires constant military engagement. It's all over oil, land and other petty things; but comes attached with a defense budget of mind-shattering proportions.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I am afraid that you are right, on the main. It is human nature to fight and I am afraid that we are only human. It saddens me to say that, until we can change that nature, we will require a fighting force in order to stop ourselves from being over run or exterminated, as has happened so many times in history.

Now, please do not think that I support the conflicts that we are presently engaged in. But, while our troops are over there, I will support them and hope that they return home safely.
edit on 8/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

We are ex or serving military and deep down we know whats in store in 5/10 years time for the guys and girls fighting in the deserts as we speak, Now i know SSAFA and the RBL will do there upmost to help, but they(veterans) will be put aside and forgotten "again"... Same old same old...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I am so sorry to say that you are correct. I eventually left the UK. One of the reasons being that, whilst I was searching for work, I was told that I could not claim from the DHSS, even though I had 20 years service behind me.

The Gov screws us if we do and condems us if we don't.

new topics

top topics

join