It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best way to change from 32bit to 64bit without buying new PC?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
As the title asks, what's the best way to change from 32bit to 64 without buying new PC?

I want to try some movie editing and things like that, but every editing suite I've tried hangs and crashes and I read in a few places it's because I need more ram. I've also been led to believe that no matter how much ram I have my 32bit pc wont use more than 2 gig at one time, and that 64 will use all I can give it and more.

I'm clueless about this sorta stuff. Any advice much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
actually to the best of my knowledge you can have up to 3gb of ram at a time on 32bit pc's

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

You need to make sure your hardware is 64 bit capable. Below is a link to an article that gives you some information that should help.

www.lytebyte.com...

If your processor is not 64bit capable you won't be able to upgrade.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Install the 64bit version of your operating system.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv
actually to the best of my knowledge you can have up to 3gb of ram at a time on 32bit pc's

From what I understand, in the past you had to match your ram...

If you have one gig in one slot you need another one gig in the next one.

The computer I use right now had 3 gigs in it (1X1g, 1X2g), and it was having all sorts of conflicts.
I removed the one gig chip, and have had virtually (lol) zero problems.

It is correct that you can have up to 3 gigs, and I believe you can have 4, but it won't utilize the total.

sidenote... I use my cpu for music production, and don't have too much of an issue. Of course, video production tends to require more of a heavyweight I suppose.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This link may help:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows

Unless you're installing 4 or more gig of ram, there's no point to updating to 64-bit.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
My laptop has a 3gigs of ram one 1gig ram in one slot and 2gig ram in the other slot and I have not had any problems. Windows 32-bit can utilize 3.5 gigs of ram if you have 4gigs installed or all 4gigs if you have 64-bit installed.

You also have to take in the limits set on which version of Windows 7 64-bit you use.

Win 7 Home Basic - 8gigs ram
Win7 Home Premium - 16 gigs ram (this version is the one the vast majority of people have)
Win 7 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate 192gigs ram
en.wikipedia.org...

If you want to use a 64-bit OS you need at least 4gig ram to be effective and a 64-bit processor.
edit on 7-9-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thanks ATSers for your help. I'll have to try digest some of all that and see what I can do.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Also you can't upgrade your OS to 64-bit from 32-bit. You'll have to do a clean install.

new topics

top topics

join