It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As advanced as they may be, I bet they have the same questions...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just thinking outloud. Its pretty safe to say somewhere in the vast universe there is a civilization much older than life on Earth. They almost certainly have technology we can yet imagine.

Even with their advanced technology and knowledge, Im betting they have the same questions reguarding what happens when you die and how life got started in the first place. Short of dying, recording your afterlife experiances then being revived and showing the evidence, theres no definitive proof of anything.

Just cant turn my brain off when it comes to the universe, extraterrestrials and the afterlife. Wish I knew thered be some type of answers before my time is up...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

Hey jstanthrno1, I'm just like you with my brain always running a mile a minute thinking of questions like these, and I'd be willing to bet we're going to learn a thing or 2 about extra-terrestrials and other civilizations before both of our times are up!

Now down to business, if they are a civilization that is much older than us, odds are they wouldn't be just a hundred, or just a thousand years older - because in the grand scheme of things 100 or 1,000 years is literally nothing. Statistically speaking it'd be likely they'd be eons upon eons older, or greater. So if such an ancient civilization does exist (and haven't wiped themselves out), chances are they are MILLIONS of years older and infinitely more advanced than us. Imagine the technology we had just 100 years ago, just 1,000 years ago. Imagine where we would be 100 years from now, 1,000 years from now... Now imagine where we'd be 1 million years from now!

To say that they may have the same questions as us about death is somewhat naive - they may not even experience death (or life as we know it) anymore. They may even be entirely robotic as that's vastly more efficient than standard biological life. A civilization that old is so hard to quantify you'd really, really have to think far outside of the box on it. It may be impossible to comprehend such things, but it's amazingly cool to think about and if we think hard enough I think we could figure out a few things. S&F
edit on 5-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ajax
reply to post by jstanthrno1

To say that they may have the same questions as us about death is somewhat naive - they may not even experience death (or life as we know it) anymore. They may even be entirely robotic as that's vastly more efficient than standard biological life. A civilization that old is so hard to quantify you'd really, really have to think far outside of the box on it. It may be impossible to comprehend such things, but it's amazingly cool to think about and if we think hard enough I think we could figure out a few things. S&F
edit on 5-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

I enjoy thinking about the possibilities that exist out there. I think it's pretty awesome to consider the possibility of there being another civilization out there somewhere in the black. In the old kingdom of Egypt, they thought themselves to be isolated and the only people out there, only to be proven wrong when they were invaded later on. I certainly hope that we don't go down the same naive path and assume that we're the only ones out here.

When it comes to the potential that there's an older and more advanced civilization out there, it makes me wonder how come we can't have a civilization that lasts any longer than we do. There have been hundreds of small civilizations though out our history that were sufficiently advanced, and even on the edge of pioneering technologies during their days; unfortunately they've been completely lost for various reasons. One thing that bothers me when considering the potential existence of other civilizations is the problem of violence. What if there were a civilization out there that were sufficiently knowledgable and they met their demise to violence. It's certainly possible, and to think that even here on earth we've lost many great things to violence and war is disturbing. I really think that were we all capable of working as one planet to get things done we would already be out there somewhere.

I suppose that if we could find a civilization out there somewhere that were sufficiently advanced to communicate with us somehow, that they would indeed share at least some of our questions. Maybe not the ones about death, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility that they'd wonder what the purpose of life is. And, they'd probably ask why we're there. We as in humans there asking them questions. That sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
From what we have obversed and what the Drake equasion tell us that there are litterally millions of civilizations out there at any one time.

The chances one of those is extremly advanced and can travel faster than light and or extremly fast for a long long time that could be near us in time as a species to meet, while the statistics drop down fast sure, however still means that we could have a handful of such alien entities near to us.

Once you have dominated one arena of science you move to the next of interest, an animal will only go as far as it needs to to feed itself and its family, only intelligent life will want to live in more increasing comfort and once that is reached looks for entertainment or information.

Planets are so conviently layered in complexity, from the sea/underground, to the land or surface, through the air, to space. Each layer being one more step closer to finding the untimate question which must plague every intillgent race, why am i here and whats out there!

Im sure they would arrive at the same conclusions once the real vastness of the universe and limitless possibilitys., there is more intelligent life out there lets find them!

new topics

top topics

join