It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quartzsite AZ Update - Recall election removes Quartzsite, Ariz., mayor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Recall election removes Quartzsite, Ariz., mayor

QUARTZSITE, Ariz. (AP) — The mayor of the western Arizona town of Quartzsite has been removed from office. Town voters cast ballots in a recall election Tuesday and ousted Mayor Ed Foster and replaced him with former Town Council member Jose Lizarraga.

The election ended months of bitter politicking in the community. Foster had accused other municipal leaders of abusing their authority and violating Arizona laws governing public records and meetings.

The Arizona Republic (http://(link tracking not allowed)/p5E536 ) reports a final unofficial tally by the La Paz County Elections Department shows 574 ballots were cast. Lizarraga won with 53 percent and Foster garnered 43 percent.

Judge halts firing of Quartzsite officers

A La Paz County judge has issued temporary restraining orders to block the town of Quartzsite from firing two police officers who had accused the police chief of misconduct and to prevent other police employees from being subjected to polygraph exams.

Attorneys for the Quartzsite officers sought the first injunction after most of the town's police force was suspended and at least two officers received termination notices amid political controversy that has engulfed the community.

Superior Court Judge Randolph Bartlett agreed that disciplinary moves against the officers by town administrators may violate First Amendment and due-process rights. In a Monday ruling, he ordered Quartzsite officials to halt attempts to fire the officers and to reinstate any who already had been terminated.

Read more: www.azcentral.com...

I will try to find the other article discussing the latest court drama. Essentially the city of Quartzsite told the La Paz County Circuit Court that they did not have authority, so the court kicked the case over to the federal Court system.

So far nothing has come out regarding any action / comments from the FEderal Circuit Court.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Wow Is this little town really begging for martial law? They are actually pushing away the rights of the people and ignoring State Law? Am I understanding this? WOW. I'm at a loss for words.

edit on 4-9-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Wow Is this little town really begging for martial law? They are actually pushing away the rights of the people and ignoring State Law? Am I understanding this? WOW.

i think they have already reached the point.

The Arizona DPS are still investigating the allegations made by the Officers.
The Courts have halted the terminations of the suspended officers.
A state / Federal investigation is underway for violation of the open records / sunshine laws.

the place is a mess....

join