It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many people have died because you lied to your parents?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

White Lies

I found in another thread a video of Ted Stevens talking about the internet, breaking it rather eloquently.

Quotes by Ted Stevens

"What happens to yo-, your own personal internet?"

"I just the other day...an internet was sent by my staff at ten o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things that going on commercially."

"It's a series of tubes!"

While Ted Stevens is quite sure the demise of his internet connection is due to Netflix, something else popped in my head while watching this video.

1. People like Ted Stevens (being that he has passed) should never be allowed to make any decisions on things they don't understand.
  2. It's quite possible there never was a delayed "internet".

Number 2:

Everyone does it. People from every country and every race tell lies to loved ones, colleagues, friends, etc. Sometimes to protect themselves and sometimes to protect the other person.

People tell white lies.

White lies or Kind Lies are falsehoods of information deficiency which, while often considered to be harmless or even beneficial, can, in the long term, be more destructive than the obvious "black lie".

The first thing I thought of when I listened to Deceased Senator Ted Stevens talk about "an internet" and how his internet was slowed down because of Netflix, it made me think:

Maybe the people on his staff just simply forgot to send the email, so they blamed it on Netflix....

Whether or not that was the case the video still highlights the point of this thread. Ted Stevens clearly had no idea what the internet was. Beyond being "a series of tubes..."

What this means in relation to white lies

The implications of this whole thing can be applied to a number of white lies. When people who are in positions of power are being lied to, or simply don't understand the situation, resulting consequences can have a major impact on society.

*Just think how many people who were caught with illicit substances by their parents claimed someone forced them to do it. This could translate into a crusade against the "evildoers" by a parent who holds a position of power.

*Someone who sheds responsibility or blame, say in something like a cyberfeud, suddenly it becomes cyberbullying and out there somewhere, an advocate is born.

I'm sure a few of you can come up with more examples, it is really endless. How many times have you heard one person's side of a story, and been blown away by another person's? Each of them obviously exaggerating facts or inserting white lies to make themselves come better out of it.

It is scary to think that people out there are making decisions for millions of people and many of them will never look passed the fed lines they receive from the people around them.

Unlimited possibilities of "oops". When you think about it...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The best example off the top of my head is that congressman who said abortions are 90% of what planned parenthood does. Actually, it is 3%. Then the congressman said "that wasn't intended to be a factual statement."
I'm sure congressmen lie like this all the time. Both parties do it; don't try to blame this on any one party.

Another example is the whole Iraq WMD fiasco. More than a million people have died directly because of that "white lie."
Were you asking for personal stories, or any story?

Oh, and to answer the question in the title, 37 people have died because I lied to my parents.
edit on 3-9-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If someone in my house is buffering netflix or downloading movies and junk it does slow down the internet for everyone else. Just sayin'

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Brilliant post.

Exactly what I was thinking.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

children lie to parents after they learn how to lie themselves. childhood for many is filled with lies of all sorts, usually straight from the parents mouth just as they were lied to in their youth.

fictional characters, stories, you name it. call it this, call it that, a lie is a lie.

then the little ones are sent to school where more selective lies & tales are told.

re: How many people have died because I lied to my parents? Hopefully none. Point taken though. False accusations (or honest ones) can result in other peoples lives being permanently changed.

Even though there are an endless supply of ITG's when it comes down to it most people leave things to be handled by law enforcement. Lawless revenge and vigilantism is pretty rare, at least to how often we read of it in the news.

top topics

join