It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Humans ever get sick of saving lives?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I have discussed taking lives, and how soldiers take life and whether they ever get used to killing or sick of killing. This is the same story but from the opposing perspective, can humans ever get sick of saving lives, and or ever get used to it?

Meaning, if you are an ambulance driver, and you encounter dying patients in weekly basis and you save many lives, do you ever get used to it?

For example when I do something good to someone, for example give a stranger in need of money 20 dollars, it makes me happy, I helped, this is nothing compared to saving someone's life. So it begs the question, do you ever get sick of saving lives, or get used to it?

Any doctors here?

That being, if you can get sick of it, why? If you will never get sick of it, why not? Or is it based on character, some might and some might never get sick or used to it.

This is interesting, I have never saved a life so I wouldn't know, but I do think that if you can get used to killing then surely you can get use to saving lives, to a point where you just don't even notice you're saving someone, and giving someone another chance.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm not a doctor, but many of my family members have a condition that causes them to have heart attacks and lose conciousness often etc and I can say that you don't ever get sick of it. The paramedic I know has said the same as he feels it is his duty to keep doing his job of saving people.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
As per the few paramedics that I know, it's the lives saved that allow them to keep working through all the lives they couldn't save.
That's what makes it worth it, and the reason they keep coming back.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Taking a life is unatural for normal people, WW1 and WW2 are good examples. Most of the
people who fought in those wars were conscripted civilians who had no real choice but to fight.
If you listen to the stories and experiences of their wartime exploits, the majority of them will
tell you that they only aimed for the legs of the enemy or fired over their heads, and that they
had no wish to kill anyone at all unless there was no choice in the matter. professional soldiers
on the other hand seem to have an unatural bloodlust in them, which is honed and exagerated
by training techniques. So yes, people do get sick of killing, psychopaths however never tire of
it, and find war the perfect place to vent their bloodlust.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
There's something called compassion fatigue. I remember they did an article on it not too long ago in the Daily Mail. Very interesting subject. I didn't know there was a name for it.

If you're ever in a hospital you can tell straight away which nurse or doctor is looking after you and which ones seem like they don't give a crap.
en.wikipedia.org...

Compassion fatigue (also known as a secondary traumatic stress disorder) is a condition characterised by a gradual lessening of compassion over time. It is common among trauma victims and individuals that work directly with trauma victims. It was first diagnosed in nurses in the 1950s. [1] Sufferers can exhibit several symptoms including hopelessness, a decrease in experiences of pleasure, constant stress and anxiety, and a pervasive negative attitude. This can have detrimental effects on individuals, both professionally and personally, including a decrease in productivity, the inability to focus, and the development of new feelings of incompetency and self doubt.[2]

As well as that you also have your psychopaths, and there's more of them running around than we can imagine according to recent articles. My partner's boss is one of these, I'm sure.

One in 25 bosses 'is a psychopath' but hides it with charm and business-speak

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

That is what I was looking for, thanks very much, reading Wikipedia now.

This is very interesting indeed, and will continue this discussion once I learn more about Compassion fatigue .

Now I know what to call it, and then maybe I can connect this to philosophy a little more.

top topics

join