It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronauts Might Have To Abandon Space Station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Astronauts Might Have To Abandon Space Station

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Astronauts may need to take the unprecedented step of temporarily abandoning the International Space Station if last week's Russian launch accident prevents new crews from flying there this fall. Until officials figure out what went wrong with Russia's essential Soyuz rockets, there will be no way to launch any more astronauts before the current residents have to leave in mid-November. The unsettling predicament comes just weeks after NASA's final space shuttle flight.

Source: Yahoo News

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Certainly un-settling for any astronaut, though not life threatening, it would have a serious impact on the program.

The Soyuz has been extremely reliable over the decades; this was the first failure in 44 Russian supply hauls for the space station.

Human engineering... It will never be faultless.

Also, I'd be interested to know the exact process for abandoning a space station...

edit on 2/9/11 by TrixXxtaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrixXxtaR

oh no.

and we know what crucial work they're doing now.

edit on 2/9/11 by felonius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Though you may not think the research being done is particulary important to you, it is to others.

The ISS provides a platform to conduct experiments that require one or more of the unusual conditions present on the station. The primary fields of research include human research, space medicine, life sciences, physical sciences, astronomy and meteorology. The 2005 NASA Authorization Act designated the American segment of the International Space Station as a national laboratory with the goal of increasing the use of the ISS by other federal agencies and the private sector.

Also:

Research on the ISS improves knowledge about the effects of long-term space exposure on the human body. Subjects currently under study include muscle atrophy, bone loss, and fluid shift. The data will be used to determine whether space colonisation and lengthy human spaceflight are feasible. As of 2006, data on bone loss and muscular atrophy suggest that there would be a significant risk of fractures and movement problems if astronauts landed on a planet after a lengthy interplanetary cruise (such as the six-month journey time required to fly to Mars

It's still fascinating stuff at the end of the day!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I hate saying it but ive been waiting for this. At the moment it doesnt seem to be a huge problem, i mean, if the worst happened id say that the russians or possibly the US could somehow manage a space station rescue in 2-3 weeks. obviously i dont know for fact but it seems feasible. its unfortunate that this scenario happened but imo it was inevitable given the technology in use.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
i remember one interpretation of nostradamus saying that one of the final signs before WWIII would be the ISS station crashing (and messing up) paris.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Some people will say they have to evacuate because Elenin is on the way.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Title is misleading. They aren't going to evacuate or abandon it. The current crew is almost due to return, and with that crash of the russian vehicle still undetermined, they might not be able to send the replacements up when the current crew leaves.

Abandoning isn't really a good term, that crew is coming back regardless, it just means there might be a period where the replacement crew is grounded.

Also, I'd be interested to know the exact process for abandoning a space station...

The same as a crew swap except the replacement crew has no way up. Abandon is a hard term, more like leaving it unattended for a bit. No one is being forced to evacuate or leave earlier

if last week's Russian launch accident prevents new crews from flying there this fall. Until officials figure out what went wrong with Russia's essential Soyuz rockets, there will be no way to launch any more astronauts before the current residents have to leave in mid-November.

For now, operations are normal in orbit

Which does beg the question, what craft is going to bring them home? gonna do some more reading

--apparently the capsules that are already there?--

Anyways from the article the main concern, other than figuring out what went wrong, is that with no crew present on the ISS if there is an equipment malfunction it could be quite dangerous as no one is there to repair it.

edit on 2-9-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrixXxtaR
Certainly un-settling for any astronaut, though not life threatening, it would have a serious impact on the program.
Not sure what you mean by exact process, the astronauts climb into the Soyuz capsule and head back to Earth. They probably need to flip some switches first to put everything on automatic. They may even shut down some life support systems since nobody will be living there.

I was sad when they retired the shuttle before having a replacement lined up, and now I'm doubly sad about that. It would be nice to have the shuttle, or its replacement, as an option right now, but replacement vehicles are probably 3-5 years out according to the article.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zekethemusicman

i mean, if the worst happened id say that the russians or possibly the US could somehow manage a space station rescue in 2-3 weeks.

Not quite. No country has 'spare' rockets sitting in a warehouse for emergency use. Each one is built for a specific mission, on a rigid timetable. I would expect the Russians could launch a Soyuz in a few months, but no sooner. The US has nothing it could launch, even in a few years.

Right now there are enough Soyuz capsuals docked at the ISS to cover all the crew. No spares.

During the down time for the ISS it could suffer a minor problem wich would make rescue impossible. If the stabilization gyros go off line it would be curtains for the ISS. Yes the thrusters would take over until the fuel ran out. Something like this is minor when there is a crew on board but not when unmanned.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread. I have to say, I don't plan on flying to Mars etc and I having talked to anyone that is planning a trip in outter space either. I don't know anyone that voted for the ISS and yet the people on the ground are the ones paying for it.. I don't believe the experiments will help any average Jane or Joe. If they can't treat us right on the ground why would they care about us up there? Its all lies.. BTW , since when did Russia become our new found friends? We bunk with them up there and cut our space program. While they oppose us constanly and the cold war would still be going if they hadn't run out of money.. Our Govt. is in bed with them and Treason should be the next concern..

Thx..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius

oh no.

and we know what crucial work they're doing now.

edit on 2/9/11 by felonius because: (no reason given)

Well, they are learning how to live in space for long periods of time, and learning how the human body will ever be able to endure long space flights, such as to Mars and beyond.

In addition, the construction and ongoing maintenance of the space station has given NASA, the ESA, and the Russians unprecedented experience and knowledge in how to build and maintain large spacecraft -- spacecraft similar in scope to what will be required to explore beyond the Earth-Moon system.

The spacecraft that will take humans to Mars will probably be constructed in orbit just like the space station was. I really doubt anyone would have wanted that Mars craft to be the first craft ever built like that.

edit on 9/2/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: speelling

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Possibly fail the project on purpose to revive or re-invent the closed Shuttle Program ??

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
May 30, 2011

www.youtube.com...#!

guess there listening,,

strange for nasa.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Wow sure is good to see some good old fashioned hate of Russians instead of the all too common hate of Muslims. Kinda brings back the old days.

JK Hate of any kind is tasteless to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
May 30, 2011

www.youtube.com...#!

guess there listening,,

strange for nasa.

I'm not sure who "they" are that you say is listening.

What exactly do you mean by "strange for NASA?"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The space programs we see on TV, Internet and the news is just a "show" or tool to keep you distracted from the truth.

The truth....
Space Shuttle Discovery is there Model T, they have been to other planets and moons with techonology that would boogle even the smartest propulsion scientist, unless of course that scientist is working for them.

top topics

join