It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-Americans Emerge as Force in GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Source

It is an exciting time to be a Republican Indian-American. Over the past few years Indian-Americans have roared onto the scene of Republican Party mainstream in national and state politics with the election of two red state governors: Bobby Jindal in Louisiana and Nikki Haley in South Carolina.

Both governors are strong contenders for vice president on the GOP 2012 ticket.

It's easy to see why Indian-Americans have become so visible on the political scene — they are successfully transitioning their everyday belief in freedom, fiscal responsibility and strong family values into grass-roots activism and campaign dollars.

Never once have I ever looked at Indians as if they are hyphenated Americans. The ones you meet and talk to their loyalty is without question and work ethic is beyond comparison. For such a small minority they have risen to a great share of the medical population and owners of small independent businesses, which shows not only a drive for an exceptional education but for the advancement of their own lives through entrepreneurship. How many Indians do you ever hear of committing crimes, involved in gangs, or crying about some perceived racial injustice against them? I know it sounds like a stereotype but the fact is you seldom hear about anything truly damning coming from that community.

They have done so well and worked so hard to become Americans that it is really an insult to add the ‘Indian’ to the American title, which I would not do so except for clarity in my OP. It just truly says something in this country when perhaps the most assimilated ethnic minority here is the one, besides Cubans, perhaps least likely to vote for the party that likes to think of itself as the minority party. Perhaps it is not minorities they have brought on their ship but instead hyphenated Americans.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Of course they are a force for the GOP. Hell the GOP helped make sure that a lot of jobs got sent over to India. Ever call a tech support line (or pretty much any help line)? Where do you think you're calling? Jobs that should be in America but got shipped to India. Thank you GOP for your constant help to the corporate elite.

This is why Indian Americans love the conservative movement (although they probably won't reciprocate the love because you know, they're brown many don't believe in the christian god.)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok
reply to post by Misoir

Of course they are a force for the GOP. Hell the GOP helped make sure that a lot of jobs got sent over to India.

These Indian Americans are not in India, so why should they be applauding? You make it sound as if they all live there rather than here.

Ever call a tech support line (or pretty much any help line)? Where do you think you're calling? Jobs that should be in America but got shipped to India. Thank you GOP for your constant help to the corporate elite.

Well I agree, we need to end free-trade. But to act as if it is somehow advocated by one party while the other fights against it is just intentionally refusing to address reality. Democrats are just as much for free-trade as Republicans are.

This is why Indian Americans love the conservative movement (although they probably won't reciprocate the love because you know, they're brown many don't believe in the christian god.)

You mean like they would not be elected Governor in two Evangelical states in the deep south?

edit on 9/1/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Never once have I ever looked at Indians as if they are hyphenated Americans. The ones you meet and talk to their loyalty is without question and work ethic is beyond comparison. For such a small minority they have risen to a great share of the medical population and owners of small independent businesses, which shows not only a drive for an exceptional education but for the advancement of their own lives through entrepreneurship. How many Indians do you ever hear of committing crimes, involved in gangs, or crying about some perceived racial injustice against them? I know it sounds like a stereotype but the fact is you seldom hear about anything truly damning coming from that community.

They have done so well and worked so hard to become Americans that it is really an insult to add the ‘Indian’ to the American title, which I would not do so except for clarity in my OP. It just truly says something in this country when perhaps the most assimilated ethnic minority here is the one, besides Cubans, perhaps least likely to vote for the party that likes to think of itself as the minority party. Perhaps it is not minorities they have brought on their ship but instead hyphenated Americans.

translation: Indian-Americans are a much more tolerable minority than those dirty blacks.

I love the blatant racism in your post. You come off as an absolutely disgusting human being if this is how you view people. And for your information, not every african american is in a gang, commits crimes, or spends their time crying about racial injustice. Are those Americans worthy of having the title dropped in front of the "-American" part too?

This website is a joke
nothing more than a forum for right wing loons and white nationalist rednecks who are too cowardly to speak their views in public.

above-storm-front.org continues it's descent into the toilet

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
My impression of your post is..Now here is a brown people I can accept. They are not all uppity and they seem to assimilate to MY chosen beliefs.

It's like when I hear someone say.."I am not prejudice"..then follow it by saying "the Richmonds are a nice black family".

Peace
edit on 1-9-2011 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

These Indian Americans are not in India, so why should they be applauding? You make it sound as if they all live there rather than here.

Of course they would rather live and work here, you can make more money working here. That's the dream right. Work for a tech support line long enough to make enough money to come to the US and get you a small business, then send all your money back to your family still living in the mother country. (oh, also employ only your family members when you get here cause nepotism is awesome!)

Well I agree, we need to end free-trade. But to act as if it is somehow advocated by one party while the other fights against it is just intentionally refusing to address reality. Democrats are just as much for free-trade as Republicans are.

I absolutely agree, both parties are just as guilty of this. It's not exclusive to the GOP by any means.

You mean like they would not be elected Governor in two Evangelical states in the deep south?

You did see what you wrote there right? The deep south? Seriously, these are the same people who still think the civil war is going on and that the Dukes of Hazard was a documentary.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Free trade academically is a good thing (masters in Finance from top-tiered University right here, similar to Econ). Mathmatically, it provides more for both countries. The problem for either country exists when they put up trade barriers to help their emergng economy. The truth is the bigger nation needs to counter this or they will be taken advantage of in the relationship. Take our relationship with China (although I dont know all the details of the trade arrangements so please fill in if you can) but their manipulation of the currency drops its value say, 20%, we would need to add a 20% tax to imports to make it fair. Similarly, if smaller country tries to protect an industry with taxing our imports X%, we could tax their exports of similar industry X% or tax something(s) of theirs that come into our country at a similar rate (say 2 billion annual trade) @ X%. one government, often the larger one, must give incentives to these governments to dispose of free trade restrictions.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5
My impression of your post is..Now here is a brown people I can accept. They are not all uppity and they seem to assimilate to MY chosen beliefs.

It's like when I hear someone say.."I am not prejudice"..then follow it by saying "the Richmonds are a nice black family".

Peace
edit on 1-9-2011 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

I got the same impression too.

I say Indian Americans are just as hard working as other immigrants. Although they're also highly educated and has the highest family income in US. Its all in the education system for the first generation that migrated from India.

top topics

join