It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONFIRMED: Fresh oil slicks forming over Deepwater Horizon spill site

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Supprise....like we dont have enough pollution

Good find and good that theres still people who cares about the planet.

The timing could be better, were still in the beginning of the hurrican season in the mexican gulf. Irene missed this area, but shes probably not the last one. A hurricane could make work/cleaning of that zone alot worse and maybe help spreading the oil.

edit on 27-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mimir
hmmm where did the post go ?

Sorry. Accidentally deleted it while editing it.... It's back up.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think this is one great example of the harm our MSM's psychosis - complete obsession with the newest "potential" disaster, and complete disregard for the real stories - the ones that can "potentially" impact generations.

What can you say when something is completely unacceptable - yet accepted, tolerated or ignored by the corporate/political machine? We can only scream, scream, scream until our voices cannot be ignored - or there is no one around anymore to hear them.

S&F for the thread on an issue too many have relegated off their radar!

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
STAR & FLAG....People NEED to be aware..they need to be kept aware...they need to educate themselves...

How many people t have died because of this? I know of 1..and it was soo soo sad. A lady went down to the beach to watch a cosmo event...when she got home her face and hands were tingling...2-3 months later she was dead. Before she died...she made a video...*should be on utube* and she talked about her frustration with the Dr.'s not telling her everything...PAR4theCOURSE!!!

It's been PROVEN that *they* used a dispersant that was BANNED from being used because it poisoned people! They still went on using it...and didn't care. I remember STORY after STORY of people that knew what they were talking about...wanted to help...could help...but were kept from helping while the poison of the dispersant was used instead!

So... how many people have died?

to the Poster above me... You say you're sick of the MSM going after the newest Story instead of old stories that still NEED to be heard... you've got it all wrong darling..!

They CHOOSE NOT.....NOT....NOT... to talk about this particular disaster. If they did...then they would have to talk about everything else involved... which is Murder and GREED.
edit on 27-8-2011 by tracehd1 because: add comment

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

The real question I think is: is this new oil from the well, or is this the oil that sank from the surface and was floating around around middepth and at the gulf floor?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Originally posted by eNumbra
The real question I think is: is this new oil from the well, or is this the oil that sank from the surface and was floating around around middepth and at the gulf floor?

That's actually an excellent question. I suspect now that the oil samples have been confirmed, there will be more investigators and many more questions.

Hopefully, we'll get some real answers.

edit on 27-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Oil biodegrades within ocean water within a few months.

If it was dropped to the seabed with corexit or other dispersants, than it would not resurface because it has been chemically altered.

Any oil on the surface now is new oil, from within the past few weeks to a month or so.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Oil Spill Water Chemistry

The day after it enters the water, chemicals in the oil begin to transform, both at the water's surface and farther into the water column. Trace elements lurking in water can speed or slow the process while the sun fuels the breakdown, decomposing even the most complex of oil's components over time. The warmer the water temperature and the more sun exposure, the faster the oil breaks down. Read more: How Oil Breaks Down in Water - Deepwater Cleanup Efforts - Popular Mechanics

Gulf of Mexico is probably relatively warm.

During the first few days after a spill, between 20 to 40 percent of oil's mass turns into gases, and the slick loses most of its water-soluble hydrocarbons—what's left are the more viscous compounds that slow down the oil's spread across the water. Read more: How Oil Breaks Down in Water - Deepwater Cleanup Efforts - Popular Mechanics

Check out the rest of the information available.

If there is a new oil slick reported, than obviously due to chemistry it has to be quite fresh.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Originally posted by muzzleflash
If it was dropped to the seabed with corexit or other dispersants, than it would not resurface because it has been chemically altered.

I did not know that.

Then it implies something worse.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here is the ATS thread from yesterday, where we discuss initial reports of a new slick at the same location as the Deepwater Horizon site.

Here is the thread from yesterday

And here is an excerpt from the event report on the RSOE EDIS site which was linked in the thread above.

Oil is again bubbling to the surface of the Gulf of Mexico near the epicenter of the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster. Reporters from Mobile, Alabama’s Press-Register loaded into a boat Tuesday to inspect the site. Equipped with cameras, the reporters discovered “hundreds of small, circular patches of oily sheen” within a mile of the well. “Floating in a boat near the well site, Press-Register reporters watched blobs of oil rise to the surface and bloom into iridescent yellow patches,” the paper reported Wednesday. “Those patches quickly expanded into rainbow sheens 4 to 5 feet across.” According to the Press-Register, “Each expanding bloom released a pronounced and pungent petroleum smell. Most of the oil was located in a patch about 50 yards wide and a quarter of a mile long.” Petroleum engineers are concerned that oil is leaking from the floor of the Gulf near the sealed well. (Oil trade groups: Drilling deregulation could create 190,000 jobs) Louisiana State University chemist Scott Miles conducted a chemical analysis of the oil to identify its “fingerprint.” Miles said that, “It is possible it could be [from the Deepwater Horizon well] . It’s south Louisiana crude for sure.” BP said in a statement to the Press-Register: “We stand by what we said last week, neither BP nor the Coast Guard has seen any scientific evidence that oil is leaking from the Macondo well, which was permanently sealed almost a year ago.”

Looks pretty legit and credible in my opinion. Seems probable as well.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yes, I linked to that one above, but hadn't read the entire thread.

I guess RSOE must have received the report the moment it was issued. That says a lot about how fast they are....

Actually, it looks like RSOE reported the fact BEFORE the sample confirmation.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

i did not know that.

Then it implies something worse.

That either
# 1) The cap is no longer working properly, and oil is leaking from that location.

# 2) Oil may be leaking from cracks in the seabed (which we had photographic evidence of as far back as last year).

or # 3) The real conspiracy, that someone took a tanker of oil out there and dumped it to make BP look bad.

Don't worry, # 3 is extremely unlikely, however not impossible.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Yes, I linked to that one above, but hadn't read the entire thread.

I didn't realize you already linked it. Sorry.

I checked several of your links but not all of them, so I suppose the one I failed to click was the one I linked above. Haha, my bad. It happens.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Actually, it looks like RSOE reported the fact BEFORE the sample confirmation.

Yes, they did not have the sample confirmation as of the RSOE report if I remember correctly.

You are breaking that news right now in this thread I believe, that the samples were confirmed.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

That either
# 1) The cap is no longer working properly, and oil is leaking from that location.

# 2) Oil may be leaking from cracks in the seabed (which we had photographic evidence of as far back as last year).

or # 3) The real conspiracy, that someone took a tanker of oil out there and dumped it to make BP look bad.

Don't worry, # 3 is extremely unlikely, however not impossible.

I'm betting on #2.

There was ample evidence of their existence during the first phase of the disaster. With all of the strange seismic activity of late, I wonder if something has been aggravated?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I just came across this from Gulf Coast Maritime.

Here's an excerpt from the article

The United States Coast Guard reports that two remotely operated vehicles deployed to the Macondo 252 well head in the Gulf of Mexico have confirmed there is no oil leaking from the well head. According to the agency, as part of the investigation into recent National Response Center reports of sheen observed in the vicinity of the source of last year’s BP Deepwater Horizon explosion, fire, and ensuing massive oil spill, on August 25th two ROVs were deployed from the Grant Candies to survey the well head. Upon arrival at the well head, the ROVs began an initial, full survey of the well head and vicinity, with a 20-foot radius, looking for evidence of leaking oil. Additionally, a zoom lens was used to examine both the well head and the base of the well head to look for smaller, less obvious signs of leakage. The ROV also visited the two relief well sites. When the survey concluded some ten hours after the ROVs were first deployed, no evidence of leaking oil was found.

If the oil is not coming from the wellhead, nor the relief wells, then where is is coming from?

edit on 27-8-2011 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Originally posted by occrest
If the oil is not coming from the wellhead, nor the relief wells, then where is is coming from?

Then it must be from those seabed cracks many feared existed.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The response from BP is totally unacceptable.

BP said in a statement to the Press-Register: “We stand by what we said last week, neither BP nor the Coast Guard has seen any scientific evidence that oil is leaking from the Macondo well, which was permanently sealed almost a year ago.”

Given the damage they have already caused, how dare BP claim there is no scientific evidence. Just get your asses out there and fix it. I don't care where its coming from or if its on the other side of the world. As far as Im concerned you have a major debt to repay the enviroment and every waking hour of every day should be spent making up for the damage and destruction you have caused the enviroment and peoples lives.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If they checked the wellheads, and they are intact and not leaking, than we do have a really big problem.

That leaves us with cracks in the seabed (extremely bad if human created-which they probably are).

Or of course the fantasy story BP will be using soon, that Exxon dumped a tanker of oil there to make them look bad.

I am going with seabed cracks due to the recent investigation. It seems like the most reasonable and feasible explanation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join