It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's on your book list?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Mods please move if this is topic is more about discussing books then religion theology. As a person who is very spiritual and interested in all kinds of religion, philosophy, and so on. I would like to list the books I have about various religions and other subjects and also see what members have on their reading list. Ask another user why they have this book discussing this subject or share a book we never heard we should purchase ASAP! I purchase my books on Amazon. In fact most of the books I got on Amazon after seeing many of the books were cheaper then purchasing them in the bookstore. Tell me what do you think of the books I purchased over the years. Do you like my list or have a book I should check out? Let's hear it.

Buddhism:
Teachings of the Buddha. The wisdom of the Dharma. Form the Pali canon to the Sutras.
By Desmond Biddulph and Darcy Flynn

Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
John Powers (Author)

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
Shunryu Suzuki (Author), Trudy Dixon (Editor), Richard Baker (Introduction), Huston Smith (Foreword)

Introduction to Buddhism: An explanation of the Buddhist way of life.
Author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.

Everyday Zen: Love and Work
Charlotte J. Beck (Author)

The Three Pillars of Zen: Teaching, Practice, and Enlightenment
Philip Kapleau Roshi (Author)

This was my first book describing what Buddhism is. Thankfully when I started to look at reviews online and study the book I discovered this book subscribes to Tibetan Buddhism. This book would probably be to religious to other books discussing Buddhist as a philosophical belief.

The heart of the Buddha's teaching: transforming suffering into peace, joy, and liberation.
Author Thich Nhat Hanh

Zen Mind, beginner's mind
Author Shunryu Suzuki

1325 Buddhist ways to be happy
Barbara Ann Kipfer

Sikhism:
Understanding Sikhism (Understanding Faith)
W. Owen Cole (Author)

Judaism:
The Holy Tanach: Stone edition by Artscroll

Let's get biblical by Rabbi Tovia Singer.
The only anti-missionary book I have and I love.

Empowered Judaism
Rabbi Elie Kaunfer

Living a Jewish life
Anita DIamant

Choosing a Jewish life
Anita Diamant

Sapirstein Edition Rashi: The Torah with Rashi's Commentary Translated, Annotated and Elucidated, Vols. 1-5 [Box Set, Student Size]: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy [Box Set]
Rabbi Yisrael Herczeg

The Stone Edition of the Chumash: The Torah, Haftaros, and Five Megillos With a Commentary Anthologized from the Rabbinic Writings [Box Set]
Nosson Scherman

The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet (ArtScroll (Mesorah))
Michael L. Munk

The Concise Book of Mitzvoth: The Commnandments Which Can Be Observed Today / Sefer ha-Mitzvot ha-Katzar: Kolel bo ha-mitswot 'aseh we-lo'-ta'aseh ... Library) (English and Hebrew Edition)
Israel Meir Kagan (Author), Charles Wengrov (Translator)

One Above and Seven Below: A Consumer's Guide to Orthodox Judaism from the Perspective of the Chareidim
Yechezkel Hirshman

Tehillim [Hardcover] and boxset
Avrohom Chaim Feuer

The Five Megillos Set (Artscroll Tanach)
Meir Zlotowitz (Author), Nosson Scherman (Designer)

A Guide to Jewish Prayer
Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz (Author)

To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service
Hayim H. Donin (Author)

The Essential Talmud: An Introduction
Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz (Author)

Essential Judaism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs, Customs & Rituals​
by George Robinson

How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
Blu Greenberg

Jewish Holidays
Michael Strassfeld

Jainism:
An Introduction to Jainism
Dr. Bharat S. Shah (Author), Bharat S. Shah (Author)

Taoism:
Tao Te Ching: An illustrated journey
(Lao Tzu) and translated by Stephen Mitchell

Confucius:
The Analects of Confucius
Arthur Waley (Author)

Hinduism:
The Bhagavad-Gita : Krishna's Counsel in Time of War (Bantam Classics)
Barbara Stoler Miller (Translator)

An Introduction to Hinduism (Introduction to Religion)
Gavin D. Flood (Author)

Bhagavad-Gita As It Is
A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (Author, Preface)

Islam:
Many copies of the Qur'an. I have about 10 copies of the Qur'an on my bookshelf and one personal I bought with both English and Arabic translation.

Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Lings

In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad by Tariq Ramadan

Essential Sufism by Robert Frager, James Fadiman and Huston Smith

Divine Sayings: 101 Hadith Qudsi: The Mishkat al-Anwar of Ibn 'Arabi by Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi, Stephen Hirtenstein and Martin Notcutt

The Book of Hadith: Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad from the Mishkat al Masabih by Charles Le Gai Eaton and Jeremy Henzell-Thomas

Christianity:
NIV study bible. My favorite Christian bible. Love this baby even if I do not agree with what is written in any Christian bible.

KJV Christian bible.

Book of Mormon. I have five copies of the Book of Mormon.

Crossing the Threshold of Hope:
John Paul II

Vintage Jesus: Timeless Answers to Timely Questions (Relit Theology) by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears

Hail, Holy Queen by Scott Hahn

God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life by Pope Benedict XVI

Masonry:

California Mason magazine issues

Freemasons: A History and Exploration of the World's Oldest Secret Society by H. Paul Jeffers

101 Secrets of the Freemasons: The Truth Behind the World's Most Mysterious Society by Barb Karg and Jon K. Young

The Secrets of the Freemasons by Michael Bradley

American Freemasons: Three Centuries of Building Communities by Mark A. Tabbert

Morals and Dogma: Of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Of Freemasonry by Albert Pike

The Freemasons: An Illustrated Book of An Ancient Brotherhood by Michael Johnstone

Masonic Enlightenment - The Philosophy, History and Wisdom of Freemasonry by Michael R. Poll

A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: 2 Volumes in 1 by Arthur Edward Waite and Emmitt McLoughlin

Atheist, Agnostic, and Secular philosophy:

Letter to a Christian Nation
by Sam Harris

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
by Christopher Hitchens

Michel Onfray: Atheist Manifesto (The case against Christianity, Judaism and Islam)

The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche

Ayn Rand Box Set: Atlas Shrugged/ The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
edit on 25-8-2011 by ManOfGod267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Wow, scary. Talk about going out on a tangent for spirituality.

Some of those books can end you up in very compromising mental paradigms, conspiracy la-la-land, 4D reincarnational prisons, becoming a food source, or sheer boredom...

I no longer have to read or seek out texts. It is available to EVERYONE within. I allow my higher presence to flow through me, just be, and the accumulation of knowledge becomes gargantuan.

Eckhart Tolle's: The Power of Now was good in the beginning.

Science Fiction is currently my favorite source for hard facts...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

I wanted to let you know that I have actually been pondering starting just such a thread - and had been meaning to look up the ATS protocols to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules. So S & F for you!

I actually plan to come back and go through your list more carefully - to both recommend a few more titles and get suggestions for myself. The one I can recommend off the top of my head (both because I adore it and its title is easy for my fragged memory would fall under Taoism. It is the 'Tao of Pooh', as well as the 'Te of Piglet.' Really remarkable, simple yet profound and very fun to read - although I will admit I discovered it originally because of my love of the little bear.

I will be checking back on the thread for more.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I believe you missed a couple of important ones;

The Upanishads

The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. Hall

I believe that religion, science and magic are all one topic, or they will be once we understand one/all of them correctly.

Something to think about.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I think you have an excessive amount of books on freemasonry.
I don't bother with that because I think of it as more a distraction than anything.
I have a list of books on my profile page of books I have bought recently on Amazon.
I try to buy used ones in very good condition, when possible, to save money.
The one I would recommend the most is Early History of God, if you are interested in academics.
I tell people it is the most difficult book I have ever read, meaning it might take a whole day to get through one paragraph. If someone does manage to get through it and understand every word of it, you would know a lot about God, as in what people believed God was, back in the Old Testament times.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Nah dude you should go to Borders, they're about to go out of business and they're selling everything for insanely cheap. Right now I have Nature's Great Events, The Illustrated Atlas Of The Universe, and The Story Of Physics, all purchased for a total of $15.
edit on 25-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Internet Sacred Text Archive:
www.sacred-texts.com...

Grimoar:
english.grimoar.cz...

have fun...

edit on 8/25/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplodeThisExistence
Wow, scary. Talk about going out on a tangent for spirituality.

Some of those books can end you up in very compromising mental paradigms, conspiracy la-la-land, 4D reincarnational prisons, becoming a food source, or sheer boredom...

I no longer have to read or seek out texts. It is available to EVERYONE within. I allow my higher presence to flow through me, just be, and the accumulation of knowledge becomes gargantuan.

Eckhart Tolle's: The Power of Now was good in the beginning.

Science Fiction is currently my favorite source for hard facts...

I find what you had to say quite interesting.

I am busy at this moment with Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth".

I agree wholeheartedly about not having to read or seek out texts. I have done so for most of my life, but at this point I feel mostly disinterested in all the paradigms, information-feeding and descriptions of other people's realities.

Oh yes - Science Fiction is also my favourite source for hard facts! Well said! Very few books have brought me as much pleasure as a well-researched, mind-bending and thought-provoking book as those written by our visual time travellers (a lovely term I am coining off an OP who posted a thread on visually time-travelling using computers). I can quote Carl Sagan's "Contact" as such an example.

Am interested though to hear what you mean by "4D reincarnational prisons"? If it means what I think it means, it makes for an interesting concept.

top topics

join