It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Very Obvious Reasons Why The Devastating U.S. Jobs Famine Is Going To Suck The Hope Right Out Of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Ran across this article and was struck by the following:

There are more unemployed than the combined populations of Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Maine, New Hampshire, Idaho and the District of Columbia.

If they were a country, the 13.9 million unemployed Americans would be the 68th largest country in the world, bigger than the population of Greece or Portugal (each of which has 10.8 million people) and more than twice the population of Norway (4.7 million.)

Source Article

That number puts into perspective for me how bad it has gotten, and the rest of the article really drives home things that we have read and seen on the news but putting it altogether makes it more immediate. Bad as we want things to get better with leadership in politics and business that we have had for the last few years, things are going to get worse.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Eh, what do you expect, the system is set up to fail...
There is absolutely no cure for greed, the rich simply want more, the only way to achieve this is to step on those under you. I suppose I shouldn't generalize, just because some people are successful doesn't necessarily mean they ruined the lives of others that are under them. I speak about the powers of those who control the stock market and are lobbying for special interests in government (who should be representing the people's interests)

Its sad really, all I want is to live a modest life, doesn't need to be in the lap of luxury. Would just like to raise my child in a world in which we all can experience the American Dream. You know what I figured out? That dream is not reality

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ive been looking for a job for two months now, applying for any company that was/is hiring and still can't land a job. I don't know what to do anymore, I can't remember what it's like to be happy. I'm not sure what the future has planned for me but it's not looking good.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Just move to Houston, there are TONS of jobs here. Everywhere I go people just can't seem to find enough people to hire. You pretty much just don't want a job if you can't get one here.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
That figure is half of the actual unemployed. It is 24 + million. The thirteen something million is only people receiving unemployment benifits. Look at the right hand side of usdebtclock.org, then go throw up.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

I agree with the figure you have, actually I think the unemployed figure is probably higher than 24+ million. I see way too many that have just given up. I was reading about some that have moved back in with family, in-laws, friends which probably makes an accurate count impossible.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Well you start blogging Review proudcts which are real and selling with good or great buts.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
That figure is half of the actual unemployed. It is 24 + million. The thirteen something million is only people receiving unemployment benifits. Look at the right hand side of usdebtclock.org, then go throw up.

I believe there could be more then just 24 + million they are just covering up the numbers preventing a riot.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The obvious answer to high unemployment is for the government to take immediate, meaningful steps to encourage entrepreneurship and allow people to start their own businesses. It's too bad that it's impossible to start a business without running afoul of so many rules, taxes, regulations, and startup costs. Maybe if the government did something serious like, say, declare an absolute tax holiday and license/inspection reimbursement for all new ventures not affiliated with existing businesses for the next five years, we could encourage some spontaneous growth. But they won't because half of them are on corporate payrolls and the other half of them are idiots.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by barkingdogamato
Ran across this article and was struck by the following:

There are more unemployed than the combined populations of Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Maine, New Hampshire, Idaho and the District of Columbia.

If they were a country, the 13.9 million unemployed Americans would be the 68th largest country in the world, bigger than the population of Greece or Portugal (each of which has 10.8 million people) and more than twice the population of Norway (4.7 million.)

Source Article

That number puts into perspective for me how bad it has gotten, and the rest of the article really drives home things that we have read and seen on the news but putting it altogether makes it more immediate. Bad as we want things to get better with leadership in politics and business that we have had for the last few years, things are going to get worse.

13.9 million unemployed

Ya right. That are only the ones getting an unemployment check now...
NOT taking into account the ones whos unemployment has ran out, the people
who were never on unemploymentstill looking for a jobect...

The numbers closer to 35-40 million i make you a bet.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
whats the real rate, 20% currently unemployed?

and growing

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
www.usdebtclock.org...

25 million unemployed

however there is a discrepency on one of those figures when it comes to government employees which i heard today buy a reputalbe source is around 20 million.

65 million on ssi

47 million on welfare

and the us workforce is 139 million.

so lets do the math and this isnt country other government subsidies.

for a grand total of 92 million people out of the us population of 310 million

and people wonder why this country is 14 trillion in debt

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
When I see a person in my town with a sign saying "Will work for food", while a couple of blocks down the road there is a Taco Bell with a "Help Wanted" sign, and our newspaper has 2 1/2 to 3 pages worth of jobs being offered, I find it hard to care.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
When I see a person in my town with a sign saying "Will work for food", while a couple of blocks down the road there is a Taco Bell with a "Help Wanted" sign, and our newspaper has 2 1/2 to 3 pages worth of jobs being offered, I find it hard to care.

/TOA

I have never seen a fast food restauraunt with a *HELP WANTED* sign...
If the guy is homeless i doubt they would hire him anyways..I wish I knew where
you lived with all these jobs. I would tell everyone I know who is out of work to move their.
Bus tickets cheap buddy.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Um, kids, neo, kids. I think your math is a bit off because it doesn't factor in the 60or so million Americans under age 16.
I think the 26 million unemployed figure is probably very accurate. What the really damaging additional number the feds don't publicize is relates to the many millions of American workers who are underemployed.

top topics

join