It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake shuts nuclear power plant in Virginia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Quake shuts nuclear power plant in Virginia

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Two nuclear reactors at the North Anna power plant outside Richmond, Va. have shut down as a result of the earthquake Tuesday, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission said.

Nine other nuclear power plants in New Jersey, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland have also declared unusual events but have not shut down, the NRC said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Here we go folks. Shutdown in the USA. More developments to come. What will we have to do to get these reactors shut down properly ? I for one feel nuclear power is not natural and therefore because of the consequences involved should be stopped until we can properly destroy the waste and steam leaking. This plant is now relying on diesel power to operate. While all should be well this of course needs to be watched closely.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-8-2011 by dntwastetime because: sp

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As pointed out in another thread, reactors have seismic sensors and they go into safe shutdown mode when something (strong enough seismic activity) is detected, this isn't really a big deal.. if anything it shows everything was working as intended.. I view this as good to hear.
edit on 23-8-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Can you wrap your brain around the concept of a repeat of the New Madrid Earthquake from the 1800s?

What would that mean with all the nuke plants scattered throughout mid-America?

Definitely playing with fire here folks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

I agree.. my point above was just to state though that the shutdown shows the sensors are working and the failsafe kicked in as intended.. that's good news.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Scary for sure.

By the way, hope it doesn't appear I was contradicting you. I was writing my reply to the OP and when I clicked submit yours showed up right above mine. (You are just too quick for this old-timer.)

Your point about the safety systems kicking in as planned is true.

Let's just hope the show is over...for now.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Hessling because: Clarification

top topics

join