It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Umm, question about ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have seen mods say in several different threads that ads are generated based on my surfing habits. I would like to say clearly, that I have never looked for a man, yet I just saw an ad at the top of the page, saying "Meet real guys! Find your man tonight!" I'm quite straight and have never been to any site that would remotely come close to that ad. So why did I get it? I also get the "Meet Russian girls!" ad quite often, though I have never looked for a Russian girl. I recall another poster saying he/she got this ad too.

PS: Yes, I know this sounds hilarious.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Yes, I can't help but chuckle. And I wanted to make a comment like "Maybe your wife/girlfriend have been hitting the sites with men" but that could be a bit inappropriate.

But I wouldn't worry about it all too much. As you said (and many others in the past) - many ads show up because of your own browsing habits. But that doesn't go for ALL the ads. For example if I open the home page right now I can "Answer the question and win a green card to the USA", I can get an online Degree from the University of Liverpool or I can purchase an Isuzu pickup truck. The truth is - I have no desire to get a green card from the US, I already have a proper University degree and there's no way in hell I'm driving an Isuzu pickup truck... Or in other words the ads don't in any way reflect my browsing history/pattern.

If there's an ad that you feel is really inappropriate (for instance if the ad contains naked men/women) then you can add it to this thread or launch a complaint. Otherwise you should just have a chuckle, and ignore.

Hope that answers your question(s).

Oh look. If I shoot 5 iPads I can win big...! BRB.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I have seen mods say in several different threads that ads are generated based on my surfing habits. I would like to say clearly, that I have never looked for a man, yet I just saw an ad at the top of the page, saying "Meet real guys! Find your man tonight!" I'm quite straight and have never been to any site that would remotely come close to that ad. So why did I get it? I also get the "Meet Russian girls!" ad quite often, though I have never looked for a Russian girl. I recall another poster saying he/she got this ad too.

PS: Yes, I know this sounds hilarious.

hrm.....if thats true, what the frak is the DOD doing advertising on my ats then? It seems to be midthread not at the top of the page for me. Ive never been to a DOD site much less ASIO or Signals yet their adds recruiting for their cyber dvision keep popping up.
Not comfortable.

R

XL5

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I personally think they also see what you type in forums and other places too. I have typed "lasers" in ATS and gotten ads for laser pointers. Same thing with "russian accents".

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hmm, maybe you need to do more searches about Russians... I think everybody needs a Russian wife.

top topics

join