It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Before Now No Civilization Could Achieve Utopia And Why We Can Now.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Many people bash the philosophical idea of utopia; a society and government that is free of strife and conflict where there is abundance and harmony for all, and many of those people point back to history, saying that if utopia were possible, it would have already been accomplished and since it hasn’t it can not be done. No offense intended to those people but that line of argument is not only illogical, but also highly ignorant. The fact is there are many accomplishments of humanity that were not achievable until before the human race had discovered the knowledge and technology necessary to make it happen. A good example of this is mans ability to fly. In fact before the Wright brothers, there were many people; like the anti-utopians, who used to say manned flight was impossible and they too, pointed back to history and all the failed flying machines and attempts as proof that it was not possible. Of course then knowledge and science progressed and proved that them to be nay saying fools and today every aircraft flying in the skies serves as a glaring rebuttal to their illogical and ignorant thinking. The fact that something has not yet been achieved does not mean it can not be achieved only that it has not been accomplished yet and usually due to a lack of knowledge and technology.

The main problem that has always faced utopians is a lack of resources. In all previous civilizations there has simply not been enough to go around, which leads to strife and conflict, because after all human beings would rather risk their life in battle; possible death, rather then starve; assured death and who can blame them. It is this great problem; the lack of resources, which fuels greed and warfare and has up until now, kept the idea of utopia from ever leaving the philosophical drawing board.

Now, of course there are many people who will look around say that there are still not resources for everyone and therefore utopia still can not be achieved. I of course say they are wrong, mainly due to a faulty and limited perception, ie they are only looking around at the earth, but if they took off their earth bound blinders and looked at the solar system around them, they would quickly realize there are far more resources than humanity could ever use. We have a fusion reactor in the center of our solar system, constantly and ceaselessly producing vast amounts of energy and it has been for as long as life has been on this earth. We have rocky moons and planets that contain filled with untold amounts of minerals and metals. We have an asteroid belt also filled with minerals and metals. We have a gas giant, magnitudes greater in size then our planet, brimming with all sorts of gasses and chemicals. The entire solar system is filled with more resources then humanity could ever dream of using even if we made a hundred of everything for everyone.

And the saddest fact of all is we have had the knowledge and technology to begin reaching out and utilizing those resources since the sixties, but because we allow governments and corporations; all of which rely on the resource scarcity model for power and control, be the gate keepers to space, we remain trapped on this world fighting each other for the last crumbs afforded by the earth. The truth is science has already gained the knowledge necessary to solve the main real problem standing between humanity and utopia, know if only the human race could only overcome the final obstacle standing in it’s path, it’s shortsighted ignorance and then, utopia could be achieved.
Peace be with you.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Why did you start all of these threads with the same ideas?

I think you're colonizing the Boards here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by themessengernevermatters

those in power don't want a utopia for anyone but themselves...they'd rather give us a sheeptopia...enjoy

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Its true that which you speak of. I do not think it is a matter of whether or not we could mine the moon, or other planets; rather, it is our lack of stuff to support life in the here and now on this planet that keeps us trapped. Most people will not work unless paid. It would take people to work for free to accomplish this goal. In order to work free we have to have at the very least food, shelter, clothing, and some entertainment. Of course all of these things cost money. Our current system of economics has hampered our ability to really pursue dreams of utopia. It can be done, but the mindset of many is bent on rewarding individuals in their ability to use others to obtain wealth and prosperity for themselves. It would be nice that we could learn to create wealth and prosperity for all of us. It would be a much better world.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Utopia can only come by murdering those who disagree with you.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneNationUnder
Why did you start all of these threads with the same ideas?

I think you're colonizing the Boards here at ATS.

Im in Absolute agreement with you....

Why post (and post very quickly) at leas ttwo large threads about essentially the same thing... the betterment of humanity??

im not saying its a bad thing to be thinking/posting about but two threads in short succession on the same vain of though just seems odd...

i dont do this whole.. dissinfo agent or troll bit, but... whats the agenda??

if there isnt one.. why not have just dont one big post??

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

Its true that which you speak of. I do not think it is a matter of whether or not we could mine the moon, or other planets; rather, it is our lack of stuff to support life in the here and now on this planet that keeps us trapped. Most people will not work unless paid. It would take people to work for free to accomplish this goal. In order to work free we have to have at the very least food, shelter, clothing, and some entertainment. Of course all of these things cost money. Our current system of economics has hampered our ability to really pursue dreams of utopia. It can be done, but the mindset of many is bent on rewarding individuals in their ability to use others to obtain wealth and prosperity for themselves. It would be nice that we could learn to create wealth and prosperity for all of us. It would be a much better world.

This is so true, I've often thought that until we get over ourselves we're never gonna advance past our current stage of evolution. How could we? We need to learn that if SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE cooperated instead of competed, we could accomplish things we never even DREAMED of! But of course people will call you a communist which of course is a "bad" thing (crazy logic there), the movie "The Future of Design" puts it pretty well. There is a guy who has invented all sorts of eco-friendly people-friendly buildings and ways to live that would eliminate so many of our problems!

But, in a capitalist economy, solutions don't make money (or atleast, not as much as problems) and therefore they will never come along.

I've changed my thinking on our society, and clearly some other people have too. That's the beginning (:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Who says this Planet is meant to be an Utopia?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nihonjindesu08

It's okay that others do not understand this. They are the ones holding it back. I am confident our dreams will be fulfilled in the coming generation or at least broad steps forward will be made.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I believe the people of Atlantis achieved Utopia and decided to leave this planet as they didn't like how the rest of the world was going.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

You have some valid ideas.

There are some more technologies that we need to learn.

But I don't think they are the physical technologies we have been relying on up to now.

I think they are social technologies. The problem has not been scarcity. It has been the perception of scarcity. It is that perception that has been promoted by criminal elements amongst the planet's elites to persuade us to allow them to control us. We need to learn and use a set of technologies that will allow us to handle those criminal thought patterns.

There are two basic ingredients in most utopias: Technocracy, and spiritual enlightenment.

Per reports, technocracies have been successful in other societies on other planets ("Iarga"). They handle criminality with childhood screening and mental reprogramming technologies.

To my knowledge, a utopia based primarily on spiritual enlightenment has never worked on a planetary scale, though some channeled ETs would argue otherwise. I would expect such a culture to be very "alive" creative and rather fluid. It would probably spend a lot of its time trying to teach its technologies to other groups. There are small groups on earth working in this direction. There is still hope for this.

But I suspect that if this planet survives it will continue to have a crime-based technocracy like it does now that will eventually be reformed into a scene similar to how Iarga is described. That would buy time for more spiritual enlightenment to happen. If you can't afford to donate to a group that's working in this direction, then at least cross your fingers!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by themessengernevermatters

The main problem that has always faced utopians is a lack of resources. In all previous civilizations there has simply not been enough to go around, which leads to strife and conflict, because after all human beings would rather risk their life in battle; possible death, rather then starve; assured death and who can blame them. It is this great problem; the lack of resources, which fuels greed and warfare and has up until now, kept the idea of utopia from ever leaving the philosophical drawing board.

We have the most people on the planet right now and there is still more than enough to go around.

Greed keeps the present abundance from being shared.

Utopia requires unification and we are a separated humanity.

What race do you check on applications and why isn't human the only choice?

join