It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Need A New Hobby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
But an uncommon one... so I was thinking about metal detecting. It seems like a fun way to pass the time; searching for coins or other valuables that have long been buried deep in the ground is motivating and would even have me exercising again (I don't get out much). My only concern is the cost, as my family is tight on money and a decent device goes for over a hundred dollars. Does anyone have any experience with metal detectors and using them to recover lost relics as an activity? What do you recommend I do to get started?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

Why not try out geocaching. I picked it up recently and it's addictive!!

Get good exercise, find a lot of interesting places in your neighborhood which you didn't even know were there.

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I saved this link a long time ago, and i diden't know why, cause it's not my hobby or will be...
But here you are... enjoy

www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I can't help ya with the metal detector hobby, but I did start a new hobby last october that has paid for itself and continues to do so.

Www.motorbicycling.com

I have the time of my life building motorized bicycles. I drive it all over my little town on about a gallon of gas a month.

I get many people interested in them.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: spelling

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
My input:

Airsoft - This is an action packed, adrenaline rush. Dress up in full military gear of whatever branch of service or country that you want, run around with replica firearms that shoot 6mm BBs, and have full on tactical, mil-sim, battles. This is an honor sport, as the BBs don't make marks like paintballs, so you have to trust the guys/girls you play with. We have games with 200-300 people on many acres of various terrain, and it is a blast!

Radio Controlled Vehicles - Planes, cars, trucks, boats, helicopters, and more! So fun, and so much better than the toy crap at WalMart. These can be rebuilt, fixed, modified, tinkered with, and so much more! Electric RC is the way to go these days. They can be so fast it is amazing! I have a 4x4 truck that weighs 14 lbs and is 25 inches long, can jump a jump 25 feet in the air, and has a top speed around 60mph!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It depend on if you want a hobby that is more physical or more mental. For physical hobbies, things like airsoft which the other person mentioned, come to mind.

On down the scale... other ones come to mind.

Welding/metal work
Small Artistic metal work.
Fishing
Punting
Pottery
painting
Stain glass.
Mechanical.
Blacksmithing.
Glass blowing.
Phase change cooling/refrigeration.
Electrical
Electronics.
Radio listening.
Photography
Audio

The description of your hobby is only limited by your imagination.
There is even people that have dedicated their hobby to designing radio antennas.

Years ago, there was a readily available supply of electronic components from old radios and tv’s that people were throwing away. Most of my early years in the electronics hobby, I subsisted purely off of harvested components. That was back when tv’s have discreet components like tubes and transistors. But with modern IC’s in newer equipment, a modern tv doesn’t provide many usable parts. And all the old radios and tv’s that still exist are too valuable to strip down for parts because there is just a handful of them left.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Speaking of RC, one can pick up the hobbyzone champ for around $90. it is a small yellow airplane that is perfect for the beginner. the great thing about this plane is that, when you crash it, it can almost always be fixed with tape! mine has more tape on it than paint...and it can be safely landed on grass...just slides to a stop. Trust me, this is an addicting hobby!!!
...-Lobe

top topics

join