It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lions and Tigers: Asian Animal Cruelty not for the faint hearted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I am a wildlife fan and i came across this horror on youtube. What I do not understand is why the world is doing nothing about it. Should lions and tigers be in the same enclosure?

First things first: Let's get some people up to speed with what a lion is...
Wiki...

The lion (Panthera leo) is one of the four big cats in the genus Panthera, and a member of the family Felidae. With some males exceeding 250 kg (550 lb) in weight,[4] it is the second-largest living cat after the tiger. Wild lions currently exist in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Asia with an endangered remnant population in Gir Forest National Park in India, having disappeared from North Africa and Southwest Asia in historic times. Until the late Pleistocene, about 10,000 years ago, the lion was the most widespread large land mammal after humans. They were found in most of Africa, across Eurasia from western Europe to India, and in the Americas from the Yukon to Peru.[5]

The lion is a vulnerable species, having seen a possibly irreversible population decline of thirty to fifty percent over the past two decades in its African range.[2] Lion populations are untenable outside designated reserves and national parks. Although the cause of the decline is not fully understood, habitat loss and conflicts with humans are currently the greatest causes of concern.

Here is an example of part of a pride of lions stealing a kill from nomadic younger males (and one of them is a coward)

Tiger from Wiki

The tiger (Panthera tigris), a member of the Felidae family, is the largest of the four "big cats" in the genus Panthera.[4] The tiger is native to much of eastern and southern Asia, and is an apex predator and an obligate carnivore. The larger tiger subspecies are comparable in size to the biggest extinct felids,[5][6] reaching up to 3.3 metres (11 ft) in total length, weighing up to 300 kilograms (660 pounds), and having canines up to 4 inches (100 mm) long.[7]

They are territorial and generally solitary animals, often requiring large contiguous areas of habitat that support their prey demands. This, coupled with the fact that they are indigenous to some of the more densely populated places on earth, has caused significant conflicts with humans. Three of the nine subspecies of modern tiger have gone extinct, and the remaining six are classified as endangered, some critically so. The primary direct causes are habitat destruction, fragmentation, and hunting.

Here is an example of wild tigers (tigers do not have prides by the way)

Now imagine putting these big cats in a tiny enclosure...for amusement!

There is a vid of Koreans putting two male lions ( one older and one about 2 years old) with at least 7 male tigers in a tiny enclosure. The confrontation was deadly as expected, and was televised on TV.

The younger male tried to help its older fellow lion by putting his life on the line. At the end there is even another tiger trying to pull one of the tigers off the lion to help a fellow creature ( who said animals have no conscience?)

Should people be allowed to go such lengths to prove how worth or strong their totem is?

In another vid a male tiger was put with two young females to mate and have tigon offspring, the result as well didn't end well. The lionesses mauled the male tiger and the people watching started throwing stones at the lionesses.

Here are other clips of lions and tigers forced to share territory for our amusement.

Should these magnificent creatures be allowed to be put in unnatural situations for our amusement?

Is conservation synonymous with amusement?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
While these fights are epic to watch. It is IMO completely immoral to force animals to fight for your amusement.
Whoever is responsible for this should be thrown in the cage with the cats.
Give them a net and spear Star Trek style just to be fair.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Not sure on this but aren't their wild numbers declining making their extinction in the wild a certainty? If that's true than the only place they will exist is in captured environments and not sure how many countries can afford to build natural habitats for them.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Its one thing to build a "natural" habitat and another to mix incompatible species. If they kill each other off in such circumstances you've obviously gained nothing. One shouldn't try and make excuses for something so wrong.

I could not watch even one of the clips through to the end. Gratuitous violence; but I accept the point of this thread that this shouldn't be tolerated. There is another thread on bear bile farming that suggests Asian cultures seem not to hold animal life with any sanctity and this thread adds credence to that view.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Not sure on this but aren't their wild numbers declining making their extinction in the wild a certainty?

And who is causing their wild numbers to dwindle? is it not because of us human beings? almost every confrontation with these cats always leads to killing of these animals. So we create these reservations and then invite hunters to come hunt them for sport. or have them kill each other for sport.

These are clips of lions being hunted for sport after being labeled man eaters (in a reserve!)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It's heart breaking. These majestic creatures have been devastated and pushed so far. Many people fail to realize that animals, plants, and all living creatures enjoy life, security, and normality just as much as we do.

I imagine, envision, hope, and pray for a brighter world where we live in love, compassion, and equilibrium with our fellow humans, animal brothers, and all of existence.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I agree. Thanks for being positive. I was sitting in my garden early this morning with my cup of coffee and became absorbed in watching the huge bumblebees as they flittered about from one flower to another gathering their pollen and nectar. Bees of other sizes were also there doing their thing.

This to me was a family reunion of sorts. I didn't fear the bees. I marveled at them and delighted in their company and rigor. We living things are all magnificent in our own right and to be in awe of this is the only way to be.
edit on 8/12/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Although I don't condone any of this, some of those videos look a lot like my cats playing, but rougher.

Anyway, none of this would even be an issue if people just let animals stay in the wild. Get rid of Zoos, want to go see animals? Go to a reserve.
edit on 12-8-2011 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm sure there would be some business to have visitors come over to reserves and "help" the locals get jobs this way. Zoos fall short of educating people who could pay to actually see uncensored versions of nature in the wild.

Perhaps parents (and Asian countries) should get a reality check and learn how being caged is a cruel and unjust punishment for animals. Just ask prisoners, I'm sure they would like to be free, too.

Again, maybe humans as a species are too self-absorbed at the amusement of torture.
edit on 2011-8-12 by pikypiky because: To correct for "proper" grammar and spelling.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I couldn't bear to click on the links. These beautiful creatures should be left alone! So sick of mans cruelty to animals. There is no excuse for this!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here are some conservation efforts from South Africa, hope you guyz enjoy the episodes. I don't know if they still need donations.

Here is a summary of the season, I will post full episodes below

Seaon 1 EP 1

And then here are conservation efforts to rewild captive Asian tigers in Southern Africa

top topics

join