It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New meat inspection systems in BC, Sask., Man., could make meat unsafe: union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

ca.news.yahoo.com...

VANCOUVER - Ottawa's decision to toss out federal meat inspectors from plants in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba could put consumers at risk as the provinces are pushed to rapidly cook up substitute systems, warns the workers' union.

Dozens of Canadian Food Inspection Agency staff will be pulled from their duties by January 2014 after the federal government moved to end contracting out their services as a cost-saving measure.VANCOUVER - Ottawa's decision to toss out federal meat inspectors from plants in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba could put consumers at risk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Canada seems to be something everyone is talking about lately from riots, to the internet, to social issues, and now to food.

Food safety is of high concern and being sick from meats especially poultry is no walk in the park, It is sad they are doing this because of saving money, but wouldn't it be more important to have a few inspectors to save peoples lives if they do get food poisoning?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I've had food poisoning a couple of times before, nasty stuff.

I think it's processed meats that are the biggest danger, as long as regular meat is cooked, it should be OK. I hope.
I won't be buying any sandwich meats until they get the provincial inspectors testing for everything.

What a silly place for austerity measures - food safety.
Good thing we have free medical......

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Great... who's gonna stop people like Robert Pickton from selling the meat from the pigs that he fed murdered humans to? Lentils and beans for me from now on... oh wait! Those are probably genetically modified anyway...
edit on 11-8-2011 by MikeyBones because: to add "for me"

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Fearmongering. That's all. Check the article:

Ottawa's decision to toss out federal meat inspectors from plants in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba could put consumers at risk as the provinces are pushed to rapidly cook up substitute systems, warns the workers' union.

That's the union's job. To protect workers and their jobs. I know. I'm a steward.

Dozens of Canadian Food Inspection Agency staff will be pulled from their duties by January 2014 after the federal government moved to end contracting out their services as a cost-saving measure.

How many? Dozens. Could be as little as 24 but for the sake of argument we'll say, less than 100. I've worked in this industry at both the federally inspected and provincially and there's little difference between the two. They are ALL university trained. They'll just need a little training to incorporate a few more tests into their day. No biggie.

But hey, more jobs for my current union. Provincial.
Bottom line is that it looks like the Fed is pawning off responsibility and power to the provinces. Good thing? Have to think on that one.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Bottom line is that it looks like the Fed is pawning off responsibility and power to the provinces.

Make that pawning off fiscal responsibility. As in 'cut the federal budget, make the provinces pay.'

Good thing? Have to think on that one.

Why just BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba? Did someone distress Mr. Harper in some way?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

And vetting more power to the provinces is a bad thing? Like I said, gotta think on that one. We're talking about a small group of people that can be replaced easily by people that are already there. I'm telling you, there's part time provincial employees that are going gaga over this.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Now i wonder if this
"official Government of Canada, HEALTH CANADA website,
,in other words it is an official canadian documented and government regulated site,,,,

has gotten around to getting some numbers of that Canadian Beef,, and wheat,,and fish,, etc,,,areas,?

The Inspectors better get themselves some dirt,,,cause thats the only thing that works in politics,,
and no fukishima,,is still very much, spewing/belching and releasing nasty stuff,, for 6 months now,,,
ohhh
HAPPY six month ANNIVERSARY fukushima,,,,27/7 for six months,,,ya i dont see were federal inspections would do any good any way,,, right?
think off it as not only cost saving ,, but panic control all rolled up into one pkg.
Kind of a two-fer,,,

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They must have already forgot that Listeria had killed some people last year and the year before due to bad meats. This really is suspicious

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Seems to me it's all about "trade harmonization" - Canada is moving towards the US model of a corporate-controlled FDA, and no reliable controls or enforcement.

the problems with a provincial system were underscored earlier this year when media revealed a Pitt Meadows, B.C., meat plant hid test results from the federal meat inspector showing E. coli contamination at the facility. The operator opted out of the federal regime and registered only as a provincial facility, allowing it to stay open.

Buyer Beware

join