It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kenneth Arnold's erroneously reported sighting: The origin of flying saucer reports?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

it could have been based on alien craft, though

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa
reply to post by A51Watcher

Thanks Versa.

I notice you posted another good one on your thread too, A51.

Originally posted by A51Watcher
Radar detected a fast-moving object that was in a holding pattern directly above the Hanford plant.

It was extremely high and the pilots couldn't see it at first. As they rapidly increased altitude the pilots all spotted it at about the same time and headed directly for its position. None of them could recognize it, but they could see it well from their vantage point.

It had a saucer-like appearance, was bright, extremely fast, and very high.

The F6F had an operating ceiling of 37,000 feet, but on this day they exceeded that considerably and still couldn't get close enough. It didn't make any overt moves, gave no signals, just hovered there as if observing, staying well enough out of reach.
More here.
edit on 29/8/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Yes and one of the most interesting parts about that sighting is the date:

Mid- July 1945 - UFO SIGHTING OVER HANFORD NUCLEAR REACTOR

Huh?

Hanford cooked up and supplied the Plutonium for the first Atomic Bomb test, called 'Trinity'.

Trinity was detonated on July 16 1945.

edit on 31-8-2011 by A51Watcher because: the usual

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Lol it's not a mystery. He was misinterpreted by the media which isn't very strange at all.

However, a wide variety of different shapes and sizes have been reported for a long time.

The motion of flight indicates that they aren't "flying." That is where the story is. Their origin isn't Earth.

The misnomer about the saucer thing isn't so important.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
Lol it's not a mystery. He was misinterpreted by the media which isn't very strange at all.
*snip*
The misnomer about the saucer thing isn't so important.

It also isn't true. Arnold did see saucers. Read through the thread and you will see the evidence presented plain and clear.

This thread was a bit cheeky. I was using ATS to illustrate a point, about one of the myths of UFOlogy, to some of our beloved truth seekers.

There will be more debunking of some of the myths of UFOlogy to follow. Watch this space.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by A51Watcher

Yes and one of the most interesting parts about that sighting is the date:

Mid- July 1945 - UFO SIGHTING OVER HANFORD NUCLEAR REACTOR

Huh?

Hanford cooked up and supplied the Plutonium for the first Atomic Bomb test, called 'Trinity'.

Trinity was detonated on July 16 1945.

edit on 31-8-2011 by A51Watcher because: the usual

Couple that with your evidence of all the UFO sightings, which you have provided, along with the mysterious number of reported plane "crashes" reported around the time of the Roswell incident (which I am yet to present on ATS and will do so VERY soon) and what do we have? Could this be good evidence of some kind of skirmish war - as described by none other than Phillip Corso?

The isolated incidents of unidentified radar blips at Roswell and White Sands continued to increase over the next couple of days until it looked like a steady stream of airspace violations. Now it was becoming more than serious. There was no denying that a traffic pattern of strange aircraft overflights was emerging in the skies over the New Mexico desert where, with impunity, these unidentifiable radar blips hovered above and then darted away from our most secret military installations. By the time the military’s own aircraft scrambled, the intruders were gone.

It was obvious to the base commanders that they were under a heavy surveillance from a presence they could only assume was hostile. At first, nobody gave much thought to the possibility of extraterrestrials or flying saucers, even though they’d been in the news for the past few weeks that spring. Army officers at the 509th and White Sands thought it was the Russians spying on the military’s first nuclear bomber base and its guided-missile launching site.
Source: The Day Before Roswell by Philip J. Corso
edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
One of my speculations, on why disc or saucer shape ET flying craft instead of triangular or delta wing craft. - It is far easier to project a magnetic defense shield over a disc shaped craft, than it is to project one over a triangular craft.

Also... a disc shaped craft, is inherently safer than a triangular craft, because if one side of a delta winged flying craft is shot off or destroyed, it loses all aerodynamic function, whereas a saucer shape could still possibly limp home, shy of any major catastrophic damage to the disc itself.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

It also limits corona discharge, which is a key consideration when dealing with the levels of voltage these operate with.

That is also why there are no sharp edges anywhere inside or outside the craft.

edit on 1-9-2011 by A51Watcher because: the usual

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

There's no debunking my friend. My post is valid. There have been various shapes and sizes reported for a long time. And there are many threads all over ATS that deal with pre-1947.

Also, it's not surprsing that UFO sightings picked up after WW2. We split the atom. This would definitely attract the attention of superior intelligences.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Also... a disc shaped craft, is inherently safer than a triangular craft, because if one side of a delta winged flying craft is shot off or destroyed, it loses all aerodynamic function,

The shapes are only to distinguish between alien cultures. Aesthetics.

UFOs do not "fly." They vector.

vec·tor (vktr)
n.
1. Mathematics
a. A quantity, such as velocity, completely specified by a magnitude and a direction.

freedictionary

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

There's no debunking my friend. My post is valid. There have been various shapes and sizes reported for a long time. And there are many threads all over ATS that deal with pre-1947.

Also, it's not surprsing that UFO sightings picked up after WW2. We split the atom. This would definitely attract the attention of superior intelligences.
I agree. I really do think you have missed my point.

It won't be the kind of debunking you have in mind. I will debunking some myths that are commonly held by so called skeptics.

In this case was debunking the myth that saucer sightings are a result of hysteria after media coverage of Arnold's sighting. Arnold was misrepresented by skeptics and did see objects similar to saucers. That's why I wanted plenty of pre-Arnold examples of saucers. Saucers are real - make no mistake. I have no intention of stopping there either. There is a lot of BS that is presented by nay-sayers as common sense or fact that is far from it as I gather you will agree?
edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I see the following problems which may or may not be addressed since this is an old topic for me and it's been on ATS many times and I've added my corrections.

I'll just say this: no one to my knowledge has ever skipped saucers over water, it's always been flat stones. And Arnold is shown on this thread holding an illustration of what resembles the Horten Brothers craft and Arnold's original sketch does not resemble this sketch. The sketch he is shown here came later.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

In this case was debunking the myth that saucer sightings are a result of hysteria after media coverage of Arnold's sighting. Arnold was misrepresented by skeptics and did see objects similar to saucers. That's why I wanted plenty of pre-Arnold examples of saucers. Saucers are real - make no mistake. I have no intention of stopping there either. There is a lot of BS that is presented by nay-sayers as common sense or fact that is far from it as I gather you will agree?

I'm sorry, I need to get more sleep. Yes I totally agree. I think there have been some strong threads on ATS about the pre-1947 UFOs. However, they are not as plentiful as the more recent ones. You may have to play with the keywords a bit before you find something (if using the search function).

How I tackle the skeptics is I would play their game. Point out where their arguments have strength. For example, what Arnold saw 'could be' a new "one wing" design aircraft like the B-2 Spirit. The UFOs Arnold saw certainly had aerodynamic qualities to them. However, 1947 sighting is a hell of a lot earlier debut than the 1988 debut of the B-2 Spirit. So even if what he saw was a "terrestrial craft," the dates don't match up well.

Back to the pre-1947 UFOs though.... here ya go: ufoevidence.org

Probably one of the best (early cases) ever was the "Formation of round UFOs maneuver near ship in 1904." This was a military vessel and their were multiple witnesses. The object was not aerodynamic in any way. Pretty hard to imagine that being terrestrial (military) seeing as how the wright brothers just tested the first heavier than air vehicle just one year prior.
Another source for the 1904 UFO

PS- I believe the "alien captured on film in the 1930s" was kind of debunked (or at least thought suspicious by ATS folks).

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I haven't gone through this entire thread, but I'll add a picture from the middle ages that shows a saucer shaped UFO here:

i127.photobucket.com...

And anybody who's knowledgeable on the UFO phenomena should be well aware of reports going back over 2000 years regarding disc shaped UFOs. For example a Roman soldier who reported seeing what he called a flying shield in the sky. Or how about a monk from the renaissance period who said an object like that of a discus thrower appeared above the town and caused great fear and dread amongst the people of the town. Etc...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Elhardt

Hiya, that image of a saucer is a recent hoax that's only been around a few years. If you look at the knight, it's been overlaid on a fabric background. That means it's probably a composite image from Mr Photoshop.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join