It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Silver Lining of a Dollar Collapse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There's been a lot of talk here on ATS over the possibility of a dollar collapse. As dire as it may seem, there IS a silver lining to a dollar collapsing and that is a couple things. First, the veil over people, who are deluded by the prospects of material (money) gain falls away, and they begin to see the world the way it truly is.

But the biggest change of a dollar collapse is that a dollar collapse is entirely superficial. There is still a farmer growing crops in Pennsylvania, or running a chicken farm in Kentucky. There are still people who are technically employed, drilling for oil. All it takes is one or two people saying "Hey, I have access to oil, and you have access to food. I'll continue drilling for oil, if in exchange you provide food." That's just a rough example, but theoretically, there is no legitimate reason why our grid cannot continue functioning after a dollar collapse.

And before you say that money is the primary motivator of people, let me make one very big point: Linux. Linux, an entirely open source operating system for both the end user and enterprise users. It is currently the 3rd most popular computer platform in the world, run on around 5% of computers, just short of the immensely popular Mac OS X at 8% (source). Linux is projected to reach $1 billion of revenue in 2012 (source), pending a dollar collapse of course. Well, why is something free so popular? Because people contribute to the betterment of something for all. In other words, people are motivated to improve Linux to help other people, rather than personal (monetary) gain.

I'll leave you with this video, which (shockingly) shows what truly motivates people:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There is no dollar collapse. The dollar is what most of the world still uses for transactions and with the US being the worlds only super power, the dollar isnt going down. There is so much doomer talk here. Every day the dollar is said to collapse. It still hasnt!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Your silver lining is not at all realistic.

First, the guy drilling for oil? Not his machinery. In the event of a dollar collapse, big wigs everywhere will freeze, not knowing what else to do but rake in money. How many employees are going to work for free in the hopes of getting food as payment? Oil just tanked.

The farmer? He used to sell to supermarkets that then transported the food all over the country. Remember that oil tanked? Where's the gas to ship the food? The farmer's only hope is to be able to barter, roughly within, at most, a 25 mile radius. However, he will have trouble finding laborers that won't steal, running his machinery with no gas or oil, etc.

With a dollar collapse, less than 10% or so will be able to afford a gallon of gas. Within five years or so, we will learn how to function again. But those five years are going to be downright scary.

Looting, assault, bread lines, gas lines, higher unemployment, rioting, hunger....those are realistic.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
There is no dollar collapse. The dollar is what most of the world still uses for transactions and with the US being the worlds only super power, the dollar isnt going down. There is so much doomer talk here. Every day the dollar is said to collapse. It still hasnt!!!

look around you gorgi, the world is in panic, riotes in the streets of london, spain, greece, isreal and all the middle east and your still living in your little happy rainbow land.

Gold is rising because the doller is falling. lol

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

look around you gorgi, the world is in panic, riotes in the streets of london, spain, greece, isreal and all the middle east and your still living in your little happy rainbow land.

No one is rioting in Spain, my friend. All is well. A few protests, but no riots, looting, or shenanigans other than that the Italian and French boys had a row in Platja D'aro 2 nights ago.
edit on 10-8-2011 by kinnerarity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinnerarity

No one is rioting in Spain, my friend. All is well. A few protests, but no riots, looting, or shenanigans other than that the Italian and French boys had a row in Platja D'aro 2 nights ago.

well lets wait a week or two after the Italian and French banks runs implode the system.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

well lets wait a week or two after the Italian and French banks runs implode the system.

First it was Spain, Greece, and Israel.............now Italy and France TOO...............MY, this is spreading like wildfire....................................I'm holding my breath. London is suffering from a bunch of HOOLIGANS who are destroying their own neighborhoods. You're from Cali - you should have a vague recollection of such things in your own state in the not too distant past. Those weren't "revolutions" either. I don't see anyone running on the banks either. Oh yeah, We're just rioting and the Italians and French are running on the banks.

What is it with everybody WANTING the world to erupt into chaos!?!? What is with this longing for suffering and bloodshed. The world has enough misery without people sitting in darkened rooms quivering in anticipation of a global socioeconomic collapse.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kinnerarity

People are wanting, wishing for a change for the better. If that means the economy crashing then so be it. Something's gotta give and will it be sooner or later?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Agreed, there needs to be a change. But it isn't a thing to be taken lightly - and more importantly, a thing that does not require a bunch of dis/misinformation from a bunch of salivating wolves when the truth would suffice to move things in a positive logical direction. Anarchy will not help things along.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The Euro is tanking. The dollar is struggling, but everything is relative... right now, the dollar and the US is relatively attractive in comparison to most of the world. While I agree that rainbows and farts are a poor way to view this world, I don't think the only reasonable alternative is darkness and constipation. There is a reality which lays in the middle... many shades of both gray and color, if you will.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I AM H.I.M.
As He is Me.

You ARE Jesus.
You ARE God.
You ARE the light and the darkness.
The good, and the bad.

Stop buying (double entendre) into the bll# "reality". You're capable of SO much more. Just look deeper and past the facades of "society".

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

The world isnt in panic. They arent rioting in London because of the economy. There arent any riots in spain or portugal and when isnt there violence in isreal ?

Gold is rising because the people who buy it over the internet in commodity trading are going to hope it goes up in the future to resell or they are going to short it. Its speculation aka gambling.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The real reason the dollar will dive is because the feds will print dollars to pay the interest on its debt.

One of the silver linings is the feds can pay off all debt with its printing press(who cares if the money becomes worthless) at least the debt is gone, and China has dollars that can purchase the same as a nickel used to purchase.

Another silver lining is silver. It cant be printed, has industrial uses, and is dirt cheap now compared to what it will be when the $ nosedives, and that could be any day now.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If you're worried about the destruction of the dollar lately, you're missing the show.

There are so many wealthy people and corporations, very smart and experienced players, who are holding a lot of cash right now. That means they are not that worried about the dollar losing value.

What they are going to do is grab up all the goodies when they think the markets have crashed as much as they are going to crash.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
well here's a insight....
spend you declining dollars on bids for real property (like stocks/ coins/ rings/ gold bars)
at the regular Auctions that certain states promote as a way to do away with "unclaimed property"

example here:
www.wvsto.com...

DC has an Auction conducted on E-Bay...but it only started in 1980... so my inactive savings account at Riggs National Bank was not covered by the 'unclaimed property' program--- tisk-tisk, huh

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
WHY the heck do the people of the USA use the Federal Reserve bank Script??? (Fiat dollar)

There is ONE reason and ONE reason ONLY!!!

I finally found a reasonable explanation.

...Given the previous hyperinflation, clearly there was ample reason for currency revulsion. So you can consider this argument a necessary but not sufficient precondition. What makes the universal acceptance stick is that government accepts its own money to expunge liabilities to it. In plain English, fiat money has value because it is the only money you can use to pay taxes. ....The fact that this money is also the medium of exchange only entrenches its use. So the tax liability is a necessary pre-condition for fiat currency to work, something I will return to....
www.creditwritedowns.com...

No wonder Amendment 16 - Status of Income Tax Clarified was Ratified 2/3/1913, a couple months before the Federal Reserve Act.

We are STUCK with the dollar and the necessity of earning dollars as long as we have to pay TAXES using the Fed Bank script.

Do you think I can grab a trailer load of lambs and cart them to city hall to pay my Property Tax??? Of course not!

The article also has a good discussion on Hyperinflation, THE REAL horror in store for the USA.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
that was a great video. That is mastery of the Art hand!
birth a new economy!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

What is it with everybody WANTING the world to erupt into chaos!?!? What is with this longing for suffering and bloodshed. The world has enough misery without people sitting in darkened rooms quivering in anticipation of a global socioeconomic collapse.

I've been wishing for a Spanish collapse since you started giving "human rights" to gorillas a few years back. Ditto for Switzerland for giving "rights" to plants.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The world isnt in panic. They arent rioting in London because of the economy. There arent any riots in spain or portugal and when isnt there violence in isreal ?

The riots started after the shooting in an protest about unemployment. So the riots are because of the economy. Albeit indirectly.

Gold is rising because the people who buy it over the internet in commodity trading are going to hope it goes up in the future to resell or they are going to short it. Its speculation aka gambling.

Yes and no. Gold (and the Yen) is rising because investors don't have anywhere else to go.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

The riots started after the shooting in an protest about unemployment. So the riots are because of the economy. Albeit indirectly.

Yes and no. Gold (and the Yen) is rising because investors don't have anywhere else to go.

No the riots are because the police shot a thug. Not because of the economy.

These "investors" who play with money like to move the markets. Gold is easily manipulated and the margins are lower on commodities than on stocks.

This isnt hard to put together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join