It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Promise to all those who are depressed/anxious/stressed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If you are depressed/stressed/anxious or a mixture of all three as is not uncommon I have a promise to you but also a challenge. Pick up an instrument you've always wanted to play and learn the fundamentals. With internet media outlets like Youtube, learning instruments is not expensive unless the instrument you want to play costs a ridiculous amount of money..

So that's the challenge.
But what about the promise?

Well I promise that if after getting past the basics of your chosen instrument you decide to take it one step further and begin improvising and composing you will notice the following things: Not only enjoyment but stress relief, less depressive thoughts, and possibly less anxiety. But overall and more importantly, more positive behaviour, thinking patterns, attitude and emotion in your daily life and relationships with the people you care about. It worked for me and many other musicians and I promise that if you get into playing an instrument at an amateur but above beginner level then you will notice positive results.

You even sleep better and dream better

Give it a go.
Or your money back.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Forgot to add.
Music is good for the soul !!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
You know I do have an acoustic guitar collecting dust in the garage....probably needs a gal of water from the Arizona heat.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Double post.
My bad.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
You know I do have an acoustic guitar collecting dust in the garage....probably needs a gal of water from the Arizona heat.

Why don't you get back into it?

Don't you miss jamming it out?

I stopped playing guitar for 4 years then bought one again about half a year ago. I've already noticed a big lift in positivity in just about every aspect of my personal mindset.

I never noticed the liberty making music gives you the first time round. It took starting up again to appreciate it properly.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Problem is when you get those symptoms AFTER learning the instrument haha
But nah i do understand your point, learn something new and get a passion for it and it will rekindle the soul so to speak!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I've been playing guitar for 6 years, cello for 4 and flute for 3. Something about music has always been a great stress reliever for me, but lately, I've been getting frustrated because I know I should be at a higher level of playing, but I can't tell you how many times I've tried to give up playing, its almost worse than quitting smoking...I'd go a couple days but my fingers would ache to play..it's a blessing and a curse, but man, when I finally complete a song, it's such a great feeling. Good advice
I hope others take this to heart, my advice, pick up an instrument, but be prepared to WORK at it.lol XD

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I have taught myself Trumpet, Piano & Drums, even took first chair in High School in the brass section. However, now I have none of those items available. Life is hard and getting harder.

But thanks for trying and it is a good outlet for those who have access to musical instruments. As for the moment, all I have is books and the interwebs, so not all hope is lost.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It really is a great strees reliever, Ive been at my fathers place for the past month and a half and I didnt bring my amp and guitar. I honestly miss it, and I feel like something is missing from my life! Its a drag, and I have been felling more depressed/lazy lately as well. Everytime I hear a good song with some good picking my fingers start moving and I catch myself doing intricut air guitar solos!

What your saying OP is the truth!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

No offence but there is one thing the American West does not need -- another guitarist.

Try tuba instead

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
meditation is the sure shot way to become stress free permanently. stress is caused due to unwanted thoughts going in the mind. diverting attention can give temporary relief. but in a long run one has to change his thinking pattern. for that meditation is a great tool. guided meditation is an excellent way to relax.

instant stress relief technique @
24x7meditation.blogspot.com...

guided meditation video@

24x7meditation.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

join