It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Safety Pin" .... a symbol of unity... are you wearing yours?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This thread is has two purposes… the first it to recommend a small innocuous item that would identify fellow ATS members to each other... as well as Impart a small relatively unknown bit of very Interesting history…

At the outbreak of Second World War in 1939, the Netherlands declared itself neutral once again as it had done during World War I. Even so, on May 10, 1940, Germany invaded the Netherlands.

One of the purposes of the German invasion of the Netherlands was to draw away attention from operations in the Ardennes and to lure British and French forces deeper into Belgium as well as to pre-empt a possible British invasion in North Holland. Also, the Luftwaffe had insisted on seizing the Dutch soil for they were in need of airfields near the North Sea coast.

The German forces faced little resistance at first, but their advance was eventually slowed by the Dutch army. At the Afsluitdijk, the Grebbeberg, Rotterdam and Dordrecht the Dutch army offered strong resistance. A German airborne landing at The Hague, intended to capture the Dutch royal family and the government, turned into a disaster for the Germans, and about 1,500 of the paratroopers and airlanding troops that had not been killed were captured and shipped to Britain. Additionally about 280 Ju-52 transports were destroyed on the airfields of Ypenburg, Valkenburg and Ockenburg or shot down, with the consequence that the German airborne forces were not available for the planned invasion of Britain. In all, the invasion of Holland cost the Germans some 520 airplanes, the highest losses of the war in such a short period. Queen Wilhelmina, her family and the government evacuated to Britain, but during the Battle of Britain her daughter Princess Juliana and her children proceeded to Ottawa, Canada.

The bloody invasion of the Netherlands resulted in 2,300 dead, and 7,000 wounded Dutch soldiers.also dead were over 3000 civilians. The German army lost 2,200 men, suffered around 7,000 wounded... 700 troops reported missing... 1,300 were captured and shipped to Britain.

Dutch resistance collapsed under the weight of the German war machine but her people never gave up their loyalty to Queen Wilhelmina....

That is where the "Safety Pin" comes in...

Open rebellion was a sure way to find yourself hauled up on a gallows or simply shot outright. But the Dutch people found a much more subtle way to express their solitary.... with the common ordinary "Safety Pin"...

Worn so it lay hidden under a collar or the hem of a skirt, then only brought out, quickly flashed as a means to identify each other. Quickly the "Safety Pin" was adopted by the Dutch underground as their unofficial insignia. But it wasn't just limited to the fighting resistance... Children, grandmothers, nursing mothers, everyone who struggled for their freedom wore the "Safety Pin" not just as an act of defiance but a symbol of hope and freedom.

So there you have the story of the common Safety Pin... A story that has faded into obscurity.... relatively few of us know this story... now you do as well... Still there are lessons from history that should not be forgotten and this is one of those....

So with that mouthful said... I humbly recommend to all here... We here at ATS adopt the "Safety Pin" as our symbol of unity and promise to watch each other's backs....
edit on 30-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: fixing my horrible spelling

edit on 30-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I like the history you provided, and the idea is a good one, but now that its on the web, anybody can wear one.....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I like the history you provided, and the idea is a good one, but now that its on the web, anybody can wear one.....

True, true...
but I never claimed ATS was a secret society...
just an eclectic bunch with similar interests ideals and fears about tomorrow

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I do wonder sometimes when I'm out and about,in a crowded public event how many people here are on ATS?This would be a great way to acknowledge each other and hopefully make friends,great idea.I always have a safety pin in my purse or in my car,
you never know when someone is going to fall apart and need one.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Good idea about the symbol.... but we'd probably assume every Punk, Goth and Emo person was a member of ATS.... safety pins are already frequently used by different groups.

We need something more unique IMO.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Granted Punk, Goth and Emo's do wear them. typically as facial adornments... what I was suggesting is something more...low key... less blunt... A small safety pin clipped to a collar or lapel... or maybe on the shoulder like a rank insignia??? small sweet simple... but with meaning to those who know

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Im actually liking this idea more and more!
You never know what the future holds. The future idea of this could morph into the pin, a secret code word and handshake!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Yeah man, why not.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: Hmmmm? I still think I prefer the tinfoil hat!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
A safety pin to show your solidarity with all of humankind.

And your willingness to help improve this world.
edit on 30-7-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

And here all those years I wore mine on the left side of my chest and called it my mother's badge. If you put red, white and blue beads on them... it means you have a son/daughter in the military.
edit on 30-7-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shushu

And here all those years I wore mine on the left side of my chest and called it my mother's badge. If you put red, white and blue beads on them... it means you have a son/daughter in the military.

isn't it funny how the grandest gestures, those that hold the most meaning for us
are these little things that pass unnoticed by the rest of the world...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I believe there is a fear going around, it is unspoken however, it exists, many seem to be confused, and many choose to avoid saying anything outlandish for fear of consequences by thier peers whom have decided to change sides.

The irony, is that, it is all on a mental level, and if enough people were to speak out, the whole thing will collapse.

The axiom that there is, is that, the fears and resentment that are used to justify the alliance to the invaders, were themselves due to the initial - yet forgotten - actions of the invaders themselves.
edit on 1-8-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I think it's a cool idea. Maybe we could decide on a couple or three colors beads for our ATS safety pins.
Maybe have a vote or something.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I love the history behind the symbol, and I kind of do like the idea of being able to distinguish other ATS members, I think the symbol is a part of history, I don't see why if we had to have our own symbol we could not create one. A simple pin badge with the ATS logo would suit...
We don't have to put ourseleves in a group, I like to think that people are open minded enough to be able to speak freely about things that intrest them, no matter how crazy they may be to a lot of people. I would talk to anyone, about anything I talk about on here.
I suppose it is still a good idea, kind of like wearing band t-shirts.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

isn't it funny how the grandest gestures, those that hold the most meaning for us
are these little things that pass unnoticed by the rest of the world...

Indeed. No truer words spoken.

top topics

join