It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What religion and why? Anyone else think there's something more to it?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Personally I've kind of come up with my own beliefs, basically grew up christian and I believe there is a God although I do not believe in religion in general.

One thing that always bugs me of any religion is when they make claims about God's will yet also talk about us having free will. What better way to make common people hatethe idea of God then to try and say everything is their will. With all of the horrible things that happen to people around the world on a daily basis I can't imagine a better way to get people to hate God than to say everything is his will.

As far as my beliefs I believe human beings have complete free will and are capable of great good as much as great evil. All of the most horrible things that happen to people in this world seem to be the result of other people, with no higher power involved at all. For our purpose here I believe this life is a test, one we receive infinite chances to pass. The test would be to determine who is worthy to move on to whatever the next level of existance is. By infinite chances I believe if someone does not live their life well than once they die they would be be reincarnated in order to try again. What I mean by living life well is being unselfish, taking others peoples feelings into consideration, doing your best to help others in need and so on. I do not believe an all powerful benevolent god needs you to show up to a church in order to worship . It does not matter where you are in my mind you are being watched, heard and judged based on your actions. One thing that really bugs me is that it should not be considerred acceptable to commit sins as long as you show up to a church on Sunday to confess those sins and ask for forgiveness.

I think the bible itself is flawed in that anyone can interpret what it says in any way to justify their actions. The Bible was also written by men trying to understand and comprehend something that I believe is outside their comrehension. Mainstream religions seem to be flawed too as generally they all believe that humankind is flawed and/or sinners yet for many years religions grow and evolve based on what people are in power and how they decide to interpret their own religion to fit their needs or beliefs. Which is why throughout history some of the worst atrocities were commited in the name of one religion or another. For all I know all religions may have some things partially right but I believe all religions eventually end up twisting things depending on who is in charge. Then of course there are so many people in a religions that is supposed to teach helping out your fellow humans and so on, then all manyt of them seem to do is act superior to others because they feel they are right and everyone else is screwed up. Of course not everyone in any religion is that way but enough to give a lot of people a bad taste in their mouth for it.
edit on 30-7-2011 by seeker1977 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1977

How about this?

What if people interpret the bible in many ways because there are many ways back the The Source? What if all roads eventually lead back to The Source? What if there are infinite ways back to The Source?

My personal opinion is all roads and ways eventually lead back to The Supreme Source. Your road and my road isn't the same. But for some odd reason, each and every one of us decided to be here today, in this body, for a reason. Even souls already knowing and maybe even have achieved their 3D path or beyond back to The Source. Maybe some people decided to put on blinders and operate their free will in 3D in order to help 3D humans?

This is exactly why religion seems so constricting to some people IMO.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

I'm not sure your point but you said basically some of the same things I did.

In my post I said I believe we are all going to the same place eventually, once we learn the needed lessons from being here. Where you get the idea that helping others is equivalent to putting blinders on is beyond me.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1977
reply to post by cry93

I'm not sure your point but you said basically some of the same things I did.

In my post I said I believe we are all going to the same place eventually, once we learn the needed lessons from being here. Where you get the idea that helping others is equivalent to putting blinders on is beyond me.

The putting blinders on comes from people who come from beyond 3D in order to help 3D. IMHO, even most of us put on blinders for various reasons in order to be here today. There is the veil of forgetfulness that we agree to wear according to some belief systems. I happen to believe that to be true.

I wasn't challenging your beliefs and I'm not even sure why you are seeing it that way. I was simply attempting to get people to think WHY things are the way that they are today while using your line of thinking that we all end up in the same place.

That is all.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

It wasn't that I thought you were challenging my personal beliefs, just did not understand your point. Anyone can challenge my beliefs or disagree with them, it makes no difference to me.

The only thing that really bugs me is people that have no regard for others.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1977
reply to post by cry93

It wasn't that I thought you were challenging my personal beliefs, just did not understand your point. Anyone can challenge my beliefs or disagree with them, it makes no difference to me.

The only thing that really bugs me is people that have no regard for others.

If I exhibited no regards for others in my post then that was not my intent.

In any event, what I have shared here stands. Again, many of us did put on blinders for this experience. It is called the veil of forgetfulness.

edit on 30-7-2011 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

lol...my comment about no regard for others was not meant to be aimed at you, it was just a general comment. One of the downsides of typing in a conversation, easily misinterpreted.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Got it.

2nd line

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
There is a lot of truth in the Bible. Don't be so ready to dismiss it because of your bad experience with mainstream religion.

i agree with your statement.

a friend wanted me to learn to water ski.
i was pulled out if the water drowning when younger and had a fear of water.

i went to the bible to find, what is fear.

1 John 4:18
King James Version (KJV)

18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

so i thought, what does this mean and realized it meant have fun.

so i learned water skiing, swimming, diving.

then i realized how great it would be if children were rid of their negative emotions at an early age.

teaching sports to children i would remember John 4-18 whenever a kid was afraid of heights, etc.
and help them rid themselves of these negative feelings.

i consider this small paragraph as one of the most important wisdom in my life.
it helped me accomplish much.

the ancients had a great deal of wisdom.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Religion keeps one looking down and not up. And up is where one should be looking for their spiritual food.

If the Eternal Celestial brought me into existence, knows what I need before I even ask, knows the number of hairs on my head, knows my heart,...etc. then that same Eternal Celestial is approachable by me and everyone else out there.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeattlesFinest
reply to post by citizen6511

Random selection, i understand now.
I do to have a strong intuition about an upcoming event that will possibly change humanity in many drastic ways as we know it by the end of this year and ive felt like this for a year and so on now.. It's an unexplainable gut feeling but very strong as if i just know.

I agree 100% percent with you on that one, and then maybe we will have our answers. Something struck me last night, all these people who say the big day is coming is in September or October (octobers my personal favourite) its now bloody August.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeattlesFinest
reply to post by lifeissacred

I totally agree with you, the outer limits holds so many mysteries it's spectacular. I feel the same way that our "creator" is something so much more then what were taught about, I can't even explain my feeling for it, but it's something big.

My feelings exactly, even the phrase "beyond comprehension" does not do my feelings justice.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cry93

How about this?

What if people interpret the bible in many ways because there are many ways back the The Source? What if all roads eventually lead back to The Source? What if there are infinite ways back to The Source?

My personal opinion is all roads and ways eventually lead back to The Supreme Source. Your road and my road isn't the same. But for some odd reason, each and every one of us decided to be here today, in this body, for a reason. Even souls already knowing and maybe even have achieved their 3D path or beyond back to The Source. Maybe some people decided to put on blinders and operate their free will in 3D in order to help 3D humans.

This is exactly why religion seems so constricting to some people IMO. [/quote

I read a book recently called "the Shack" and there was a sentence in it that i found quite touching, it was " there are many pathways to God and God will travel down each one to find you".
edit on 31-7-2011 by thedoctorswife because: stupid editing

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by cry93

How about this?

My personal opinion is all roads and ways eventually lead back to The Supreme Source. Your road and my road isn't the same. But for some odd reason, each and every one of us decided to be here today, in this body, for a reason. Even souls already knowing and maybe even have achieved their 3D path or beyond back to The Source. Maybe some people decided to put on blinders and operate their free will in 3D in order to help 3D humans.

This is exactly why religion seems so constricting to some people IMO. [/quote

I read a book recently called "the Shack" and there was a sentence in it that i found quite touching, it was " there are many pathways to God and God will travel down each one to find you".
edit on 31-7-2011 by thedoctorswife because: stupid editing

I got a chill from your post. I read The Shack some years ago. I have since moved far away and donated many of my books. But I kept The Shack with the intentions of reading it again.

God may not be the one traveling here. My personal belief is all roads leads back to The Source. The Source is ever present and is also patient. Perhaps humans know this and maybe it is predestined that we walk these paths? I have another line of thinking and I am considering making a thread here in order to share what I see is true.

Free will is a monster IMO. But I appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZsunshine
Religion keeps one looking down and not up. And up is where one should be looking for their spiritual food.

If the Eternal Celestial brought me into existence, knows what I need before I even ask, knows the number of hairs on my head, knows my heart,...etc. then that same Eternal Celestial is approachable by me and everyone else out there.

As above so below.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SeattlesFinest

If you want insight into what is wrong with Christianity (Catholicism in particular), read the All Roads Lead To Rome thread. Yes, it is a scam. A control mechanism. An evolution from the Roman Republic to The Vatican.

I am a Deist, if you can call me anything. I prefer the less centralized, shamanic spiritual beliefs. Spirituality based on nature, and the way reality is constructed. That is as close to divinity as we will find, and the doors it opens along the way....

I prefer to sample the ancient beliefs of various cultures. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and i like skinning cats (metaphorically).

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join