It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

old joker versus new

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

He mentions his father twice actually.

Which is a little strange because I remember Nolan saying that he didn't want the Joker to have a back story for fear of sympathy or something.

He wanted Heath's joker to be as is.

But yeah you're right, he tells a different story each time.

Adds to the psychosis I guess.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I also found the Joker from "Bat in the Sun Productions" to be very well done as a schizophrenic psychopath. If you guys haven't seen the shorts, here's the brilliant City of Scars and Patient J, both are short independent non-profit films that are about 30 minutes long and very impressive!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I read somewhere that Christopher Nolan handed Heath a copy of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke for him to learn to be the Joker he wanted. It is a great graphic novel and I can see where he was coming from. I am a huge Miller fan and it is stated on various sites that not only did his Batman Year One (#404-407) not only saved Batman but the whole comic industry in the 80's. Although not credited for it in Batman Begins there are a hell of a lot of similarities between Year One and Batman Begins. Hollywood are also looking back to Miller for the Daredevil reboot, I read that they are looking to base it on his Born Again run (#227-233) and I have to be honest it is one one the best I've read.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/508b490db298.jpg[/atsimg]

From campy^.......................... to cartoony ^ ........................to deadly^

I have to say Ledger nailed it the best - truly psychotic.

ETA - MrAndy - just was watching City of Scars, and I have to say I'm impressed. Will need to watch the other as well.
edit on 7/29/2011 by hhcore because: Bat Faux pas

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I like both but Ledger will never be topped. He seemed to have tapped into something that will become the new standard for the character in future movies.

What's scarier is that Heath's version was easy for me to agree with as far as his theories on life, his philosophies and the reasons he does things while Jack, while awesome in his own way, seems like just a character you can sometimes laugh at.

One more thing......no love for Mark Hamill's version even though it's only voice acting? He has the best Joker laugh.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Heath is more crazy and dark because his father slashed his face..

I'm pretty sure he was making that up, doesn't he tell like three different stories about how he got the scars in the movie?

Yeah, two stories to fit in with that awesome Joker line from The Killing Joke where he tells various versions of his back story and then says "If I'm gonna have a past, I'd rather it be multiple choice".

2nd for the awesomeness of the Joker character

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

For me, it kinda shows the evolution of television over the past few decades.

Look at horror movies. We went through Jamie Lee Curtis and jason to Silence of the Lambs and Se7en. then we now have crazy creepy movies such as the Grudge and The Ring.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join