It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report of massive earthquake swarm in Canary Islands

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by reptiliannogmar

In Portugal we have been expecting a large earthquake for some time, our biggest earthquakes happened with an apparent period of 200 years or so, and the last one was in 1755.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by reptiliannogmar

In Portugal we have been expecting a large earthquake for some time, our biggest earthquakes happened with an apparent period of 200 years or so, and the last one was in 1755.

I typed in "1755" in google and it's first response was "Lisbon 1755 eq".

Interesting, because that is what I was looking for.

The 1755 Lisbon earthquake, also known as the Great Lisbon Earthquake, was a megathrust earthquake that took place on Saturday 1 November 1755, at around 9:40 in the morning.[1] The earthquake was followed by fires and a tsunami, which caused near-total destruction of Lisbon in the Kingdom of Portugal, and adjoining areas. Seismologists today estimate the Lisbon earthquake had a magnitude in the range8.5–9.0 on the moment magnitude scale,[2] with an epicenter in the Atlantic Ocean about 200 km (120 mi) west-southwest of Cape St. Vincent.Estimates place the death toll in Lisbon alone between 10,000 and 100,000 people,[3] making it one of the deadliest earthquakes in history.

Wow that's pretty insane, I think I may have even skimmed over a mention of this in a few period history books as well. Something of that magnitude is definitely historically significant.

edit on 27-7-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Luckily, according to my brief investigation into the matter, Portugal does not operate any nuclear power plants.

However, as of January 2011, Spain operates 8 according to this source : Euronuclear.org

So we are lucky that if something like the Lisbon quake happened again, we wouldn't have a Japan repeat there.

I am not so sure about how well designed the Spanish ones are, but with all things considered the 1755 event came from the Atlantic and so Portugal really took the brunt of the blow.

Power stations in Portugal
Sines CPPE
The thermal stations appear to be coal.

edit on 27-7-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Wow that's pretty insane, I think I may have even skimmed over a mention of this in a few period history books as well. Something of that magnitude is definitely historically significant.

Yes, it was significant.

It was this earthquake that made people think about studying this type of events.
It was also the start of many religious discussions (how was it possible that something like this could happen in a Christian country, during a Christian holiday?).

I cannot imagine what the results of an earthquake of that magnitude would be today, most of our buildings are not made to resist such a large earthquake (but the buildings in front of the one in which I live were, I watched the whole process).

As for secondary effects, the only nuclear reactor we have is for science purposes, so it's a small one, in Lisbon.

And yes, most of our thermal power plants burn coal or natural gas.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I didn't read all the posts so not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I thought it was very interesting...to say the least.
HEADLINE
"Stolen equipment to monitor the volcano Cumbre Vieja."
The bit I found to be conspiratorial is this quote from the article...

According to sources of ITER, the stolen computer is strange “because it is an instrument that does not generate interest beyond the scientific.”

Read the full article here - pprnnews.wordpress.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join