It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are NATO documents concerning UFOs subject to the FOIA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ok....this is something I just started thinking about...not sure if anyone else has asked about this....sorry if I didn't do a search on here...but...I was wondering if any NATO documents, in general...not just pertaining to UFOs...were subject to the FOIA....considering their main HQ is in NYC.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
no idea what the foia or w.e it is your talking about?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowreborn89
no idea what the foia or w.e it is your talking about?

FOIA: Freedom Of Information Act...in the US

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowreborn89

FOIA: Freedom of Information Act.

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a federal law that gives the public the right to make requests for federal agency records. All federal agencies, including EPA, are required to make requested records available unless the records are protected from disclosure by certain FOIA exemptions. Agencies may withhold information according to nine exemptions contained in the statute. The FOIA applies only to federal agencies. It does not apply to records held by Congress, the courts, or by state or local government agencies. Each state has its own public access laws that should be consulted for access to state and local records.
www.epa.gov...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
gotcha just didnt put two and two together

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
thanks, Pimander....anyways.....it just seems odd that everyone seems to be using the FOIA to access FBI, CIA, and other related agency documents....but there's no record i have found of anyone going thru that channel, to obtain NATO docs pertaining to UFOs
edit on 2011/7/22 by moonweed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
As I recall, having worked on declassifying documents for FOAIs in the past they only petain to US gov documents and not international organizations like NATO or the UN.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
As I recall, having worked on declassifying documents for FOAIs in the past they only petain to US gov documents and not international organizations like NATO or the UN.

i'm looking at it from the point that NATO has its' HQ on american soil...therefore, they should be subject to US laws..as well as scrutiny.....international, or not....they're on our turf....and should be under the microscope

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ask them

www.nato.int...

Guidelines for the external use of NATO content

* No material produced by NATO is to be sold, used for outside advertising or promotional purposes of any kind.
* All content taken from NATO and republished must be clearly credited or sourced to NATO.
* Photos, videos and articles are released under the legally recognized terms of "Fair Use" to members of the press, academia, non-profits and the general public.
* No material is to be used in programs, articles or online publications of any kind that defame NATO or its member countries.
* Material is provided, free of charge, for use in objective and balanced content, even if at times the end products may be critical of NATO.
* In instances where a member country is criticized, NATO wishes it to be made known that it does not associate itself with the contents of the article, publication or broadcast.
* NATO reserves the right to request the removal of NATO copyrighted material from any externally created content.

edit on 22-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Ask them

www.nato.int...

Guidelines for the external use of NATO content

* No material produced by NATO is to be sold, used for outside advertising or promotional purposes of any kind.
* All content taken from NATO and republished must be clearly credited or sourced to NATO.
* Photos, videos and articles are released under the legally recognized terms of "Fair Use" to members of the press, academia, non-profits and the general public.
* No material is to be used in programs, articles or online publications of any kind that defame NATO or its member countries.
* Material is provided, free of charge, for use in objective and balanced content, even if at times the end products may be critical of NATO.
* In instances where a member country is criticized, NATO wishes it to be made known that it does not associate itself with the contents of the article, publication or broadcast.
* NATO reserves the right to request the removal of NATO copyrighted material from any externally created content.

edit on 22-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

i'm working on that, as we speak

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think that may be better persued through the Hague, and the EU members who may have similar laws.....
I believe that supreme HQ is in belgium, but it may have moved to the big apple....if you say so....
Its a tricky piece of backpeddalling and blame shifting as well as document loosing with the huge international components of NATO.
Who is ultimately legislating the oversight is anyones guess.
I do know that the command sgt major(i forget his name)claimed that there was a study that contained a great deal of UFO info at NATO headquarters.
Which he claimed to have read.....though it has not been "found" yet even when asked for by high military personell.....
I think NATO would simply ignore you though belgium was very open with the triangles of the eigties.
Perhaps there may be a more enlightened view comming into the majority of the services?
Its hard to say what youll get but we know what youll get if you dont attempt to request information....and they may even surprise us....
Why dont you just write a nice petition for us all to sign and well send it to em....bout time we tried out our wings at getting things done in a group.(we need to practice this.....)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I think that may be better persued through the Hague, and the EU members who may have similar laws.....
I believe that supreme HQ is in belgium, but it may have moved to the big apple....if you say so....
Its a tricky piece of backpeddalling and blame shifting as well as document loosing with the huge international components of NATO.
Who is ultimately legislating the oversight is anyones guess.
I do know that the command sgt major(i forget his name)claimed that there was a study that contained a great deal of UFO info at NATO headquarters.
Which he claimed to have read.....though it has not been "found" yet even when asked for by high military personell.....
I think NATO would simply ignore you though belgium was very open with the triangles of the eigties.
Perhaps there may be a more enlightened view comming into the majority of the services?
Its hard to say what youll get but we know what youll get if you dont attempt to request information....and they may even surprise us....
Why dont you just write a nice petition for us all to sign and well send it to em....bout time we tried out our wings at getting things done in a group.(we need to practice this.....)

great idea....

those that are in favor as a group to petition any and all UFO documents from NATO, send me a U2U....only with your username and a brief reason why you would like these documents officially disclosed to the global population..............

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

Dont think NATO is subject to FOIA as it is an international endeavor. North Atlantic Treaty Organization or NATO. Not military, not US govt.
edit on 23-7-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

edit on 23-7-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
their HQ may be in new york, but like diplomatic immunity for foreign ambassadors, their not subject to american laws as such. anyway how much info would NATO have? every country in NATO has its own ufo files, so how would it, as an international organisation, amass such files?
even if they had some files i reckon there wouldnt be anything that any member country had on file already
maybe just access all member countries ufo files and theres your NATO files...
edit on 23/7/11 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join