It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

please help identifying item!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
please help, I'm trying to research this latin american ocarina I have, but I cant even distinguish it between mayan or inca or what. I picked it up at value village for 5 bucks, still holds a tune. I would really like to know more about this item if anyone can help.

I doubt its even an antique but i'd still like to know what it represents.

its 7 inches tall and 3.5 inches wide. 4 hole'd ocarina, clay or some type of pottery/ceramic(im terrible at identifying material).

thanks!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The first one looks like a decorative spear head..the second looks like a more plain one...

Just guessing though xD

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
The first one looks like a decorative spear head..the second looks like a more plain one...

Just guessing though xD

lol, the second one is the back of the first one.... sorry i guess i should have clarified.

plus its an ocarina (flute like instrument) definitely not spearhead. plus 7 inches tall would be a massive spearhead lol
edit on 21-7-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Oh silly me for not reading correctly, although i did say decorative

Very beautiful though.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

hey I did some research and narrowed it down a bunch- Its definately fron the pre-columbian culture, I beleive it to be the god of fertility - Xipe Totec

The rites of Xipe Totec (The Flayed God) were undoubtedly the cruellest though their purpose was beneficial. Humans sacrificed to him not only lost their lives but were literally stripped of their hides. The skins were then worn by the priests in ceremonies symbolizing the sacrifice of the fertility god, who had allowed himself to be flayed alive so that seedlings might like-wise shed their husks and escape the confining earth to produce the crops which sustained all life.

but im still doing research to make sure WHICH diety it is. definately pre-columbian culture though...

top topics

join