It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Identify This Structure Just South of Denver International

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo
reply to post by Yamaha Dave

Wrong. As a licensed pilot having utilized many VORTAC facilities from hundreds of airports over many years, I can very confidently tell you that this feature from the OP is NOT a VORTAC. Not even close:

All VORTACS are above ground facilities by necessity since, by definition, they must broadcast OMNIDIRECTIONAL signals so that pilot navigation systems can vector to/from the facility.

You're right about one thing, though: CASE CLOSED - it's a runoff swale - meant to keep rain water from pooling up on the runways and tarmac.

P.S. Um - you're illustration does NOT line up with the maps. How about showing us an overlay of the two? Tip: try a real aeronautical chart from the FAA - they have the precise location of all navigation beacons (VORs) at DEN.

Actually I verified this using the Denver sectional chart, it literally has the facility on the exact spot, exact side of the road, S almost SSW of the runway. I agree though the diagram I provided doesn't illustrate this very well but if you look at the Denver sectional you'll see it. It lines up exactly on the same spot on the road.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I am not quite sure exactly what this is either.

Perhaps it was part of a drainage network 50 years ago during wetter times?

It does lack aspects I would expect from a drainage ditch so I do have doubts about that explanation.

The shapes seem to resemble bunker wall layout. It's rather odd.

I agree, I am from and in Montana and I have seen these exact types of structures (shape and design), used to route creeks that suffer from flash flooding in the spring. They are usually only areas with water large water flow though.

Peace

edit on 12-9-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: correct sentence

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I cannot say what it is, but it does line up in the direction of the terminals..
just saying...

Intriguing -

<< 1   >>

join