It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

500 Year Old Canoe Discovered In Alaskan Forest.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Amazing this canoe has been just sitting there in the forest for 500 years since it was abandoned unfinished for some reason.

Wonder if there was a simple explaination such as a fault with the timber itself.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12bfe8653dd8.jpg[/atsimg]

www.archaeologydaily.com...

Ancient, moss covered canoe found in Alaska forest

An unfinished Indian canoe, apparently abandoned 500 years ago, has been discovered in a remote section of an Alaska rain forest, according to officials.

The canoe, carved from cedar, was discovered under a thick layer of moss and is surrounded by trees that are several hundred years old, Sealaska Corp., the Alaska Native corporation that owns the land, said in a statement.
The artefact was first spotted last winter by a surveyor checking potential timber-harvest sites, but the discovery was kept confidential until now, the company said.

Its exact site - near the Haida and Tlingit village of Kasaan on Alaska's Prince of Wales Island - was also being kept confidential, Sealaska said.

Preliminary examination shows that ancient hand tools, not modern saws introduced by Europeans, were used to cut the wood and hollow out the canoe, Sealaska officials said.

Based on that, and on the age of the cedar trees that have grown up around the site, experts believe the canoe is roughly 500 years old.

Rosita Worl, an anthropologist and president of the Sealaska Heritage Institute, said she knows of only one other canoe found in the rain forest of southeast Alaska. This is a special find, she said on Wednesday.

"This is a pretty ancient one. It probably predates anything we have in museums, so we might be able to look at the dimensions and find out are we making canoes differently today," she said in an email.

Public announcement of the discovery was delayed until after the snow melted and an archaeological and tribal team examined the canoe and the site, Worl said. She said she and others also needed time to ensure it was not a burial site.

The canoe was almost completed but had not yet been steamed, the traditional process that gives wooden watercraft their final shapes.

Worl said she does have a theory as to why the unfinished canoe was abandoned, speculating that disease may have swept through the carver's village.

"That's a valuable piece of equipment they left there in the forest, and that's (a) monumental task to hollow out a canoe with hand tools. Why did they leave it there? Only thing I can think is there was sickness in the village," she said.

Worl said she hopes a replica will be made so modern canoe-makers will be able to study ancient techniques. Eventually, she said, the tribal government in Kasaan will decide what to do with the canoe and the discovery site.

For now, the canoe remains at the forest site where it was found, and the moss has not yet been removed, Worl said.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If you are interested in this - I suggest you also take a look at Newnans Lake, just outside of Gainesville Florida.

"Low lake levels, due to drought in spring and summer 2000, revealed the decayed remnants of over 100 dugout canoes buried in the sediments of Newnans Lake near Gainesville, Florida. Radiocarbon assays revealed that 41 of 55 canoes studied were from the Late Archaic period, dating between 2300 and 5000 B.P."

An absolutely stunning find and the largest cache of dugout canoes discovered in the world.
It is rumored there is more to this discovery - but that they are still verifying and studying what they discovered. I have a friend who lives nearby and the Native finds literally just pop out of the sand, chards, arrows, pottery. This lake area, in combination with the Paynes Prairie area just SW Newnans lake has been inhabited for 12,000 years.

Unfortunately since Florida came late to statehood we don't learn some of the amazing history of this part of North America that predates statehood in our HS Social studies class . . . it is shame really as this is a part of our hertiage. We are more then just Plymouth rock and Pilgrams. It is unfortunate some of our rich Spanish, Greek and French history is ignored, as well as early human activity that predates European settlement.

Florida contains the oldest continually settled city in North America: St. Augustine. Well that is what they tell us, but in reality there are older, advanced settlements in Florida - but the inhabitatants did not come from Europe.

edit on 16-7-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Awesome find...I love ancient glimpses of the past, and the mystery that surrounds them.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

Thanks, haven't heard of that find will have to have a look into it.

regards.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

Did a little search & came up with this.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Have not figured out how to enbed video thanks for doing that! - Isn't that amazing 500-5000 years these canoes spaned. Newnans Lake was once named "Boat Builder Lake" and modern historians did not know why, until this find. We are VERY dry down here - and more stuff is just popping up! I have googled searched by satelite the area, and I believe I have spotted the remains of mounds at another location, at another lake nearby. In my mind this stuff should be getting huge, international attention - but alas it is not, and I fear we are losing history as these sites are being scavenged. Sad. I am an "arm chair anthropologist" by hobby.

There are amazing discoveries being made in Florida all the time. I suggest you might also be interested in the Windover pond find near Titusville. 7,000 year old brain tissue was recovered from a pond burial there - and it is interesting to read about the burials. Children were found with more grave goods then adults - and this community cared for handicapped individuals even under the hardships of being a hunter gather society.

From an external site, Windover Pond:
"When the 3-year-old died, her parents placed her favorite toys in her arms, wrapped her in fabric woven from fibers of native plants, and buried her body in the soft, muck bottom of a small pond. Some 7,000 years later, when a young archaeologist uncovered her tiny remains, the toys--a wooden pestle-shaped object and the carapace of a small turtle--were still cradled in her arms. Most remarkable was the state of preservation of the child's bones and her toys, and the remains of some 167 other individuals and numerous artifacts found in that small pond in Windover Farms subdivision. The pond is about one mile southeast of the intersection of Highway 50 and I-95 and just outside the Titusville city limits where, today, a child's favorite toy may be a model of the space shuttle."

Happy researching! :-)
edit on 16-7-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

top topics

join