It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

View from Olympus Mons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
After my debacle earlier today I decided to turn my attention elsewhere so from possibly finding Tyche I've moved on to Mars. I hope to show a view from atop the tallest volcano in the solar system via Goggle Earth. I wonder at more than 12 miles up how easy would it be to launch and land at a site on this ancient volcano. It would be a great site to make excursions to the surface below but at the same time easier to launch back into space for the journey home.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9046400e28a8.jpg[/atsimg]
Would a base on Olympus Mons be feasible or just folly for my brain?
edit on 16/7/2011 by basilray because: ok

edit on 16/7/2011 by basilray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sorry about the image ...the only place I could think of to post it was my Facebook acct. again sorry but if anyone could tell me another site to load my pic I would be grateful.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My friend,

Its worrying that you presented an image via your Facebook account.

Does it not worry you that members on here can now see all most everything about you?

Try image shack or simular?

Or perhaps your own account within ATS?

Be safe be well

Spiro

edit on 16-7-2011 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Thanks for the help problem corrected.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by basilray

Just upload the image directly to ATS, that way you can embed it safely without sharing any other details.

Just save the image to your PC then upload it to ATS media and use the embed code - cut out the middle man so to speak

Have you ever used Picasa? It's free software from Google.

It makes it wasy to crop images etc, you can also export them into different sized resolutions whcih sometimes helps on ATS.

picasa.google.com...

Check it out

To the topic - i think it's a good idea for manned missions, it would cut 12 miles of the lift off journey which makes good sense.

Although then going down to the surface would take much longer - perhaps a maglev type of train to ferry astronauts to the surface

Either way it would be quite a view

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b61ec82283a9.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 16-7-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by basilray

Also keep in mind Olympus Mons is still active, that may also cause problems.

“We would be very lucky to see [an eruption], but it would be a massive event,” said Gerhard Neukum in USA Today. Neukum is a professor at Berlin’s Free University and lead author of a study in Nature magazine suggesting a revised timeline for lava on Mars.

While Mars is littered with collapsed volcano remnants, none have been observed as active right now. The new images indicate some of these volcanoes are merely dormant, not dead. The timeline proposed from studying the complex Olympus Mons caldera suggests there have been lava flows from intense volcanic activity within the past 2 million years.

Universe Today

So although the time between eruptions could be vast and increasing over time, it would still be a big risk.

top topics

join