It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grab your Teats...AKA How to milk a goat, works on cows too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
A momma Goat is called a Doe
If she's never been milked before, though, it is usually a good idea to hobble her back legs for the first few times until she gets used to the process. Special goat hobbles are sold for this, but you can also just use a short piece of soft rope. Goats will pick up on your vibe so if your all nervous so will she... talk to her feed her brush her... make her feel calm ... that goes you you too!!! hopefully you'll only need the hobbles for a few days...until you both get use to it

Some folks will tell you brush the utters to knock off any lose hairs and dirt.. I always strain my milk so I normally don't bother with that step but I do wash then with a mild soap... feed and farm stores do sell a special disinfectant just for this purpose... keeps her healthy and your rewarded with all the more milk...

I got a bad back so I lift my goats onto a low table so I don't have to stoop...
Standing alongside the doe, and facing her back, place the pail directly under the teats. Take the doe's left teat with your right hand, and her right teat with your left hand. Now, with one hand, use your thumb and forefinger to constrict the top of the teat. This is to prevent the milk from flowing upward into the udder, instead of downward into the pail. The teat should bulge slightly with the captured milk.

Maintain this pressure while using the remaining three fingers in sequence from top to bottom, to squeeze the milk out of the teat and into the pail. (Think of pushing the milk along a flexible tube, always keeping it in front of the last finger.) As each finger closes around the teat, it should maintain pressure to prevent the milk from "backing up" as the next finger closes.

Do not pull downward on the teat when milking--you'll damage it.

Squeezing is the only action you need. It will be awkward and slow at first, but you'll be milking like a pro in no time!

When the milk in the teat has been emptied (remember to aim for the pail!), release the pressure from all fingers, and, pushing upward into the udder slightly with your open thumb and forefinger, watch as a new supply of milk fills the teat. With the teat now bulging again, constrict the top, and repeat the process.

When you're comfortable with the actions for one hand, try the other. When both hands have "learned" the technique, you can alternate squeezing and releasing, and your doe will be milked very quickly.

Congratulations! You just learned how to milk a goat!

The biggest first-timer mistakes made when learning how to milk a goat are:

not keeping the thumb and forefinger tightly closed, allowing the milk to be pushed upward, instead of downward
trying to pull the teats, instead of simply squeezing them

When the teats no longer fill with milk upon releasing, and are pliable instead of firm, it's time to stop. Don't try to wring every drop of milk from the doe--you'll damage the teats.

Now for a video
youtu.be...

edit on 13-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Lol... That headline is great!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Farmboy humor ya know...

second line...ah come on ... that was funny... so stop rolling your eyes at me

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
this is the womens job . The man are out doing hard labour ... anyway

and if the cow goat or w/e kicks the women while shes milking...

then we know whats for dinner that day ....

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

you can rub the udder with a dry paper towel this stimulates the milk flow and cleans the udder at the same time. every time you get that udder wet you risk introducing infection. we use the disinfectant after milking, dipping each teat, which gives it a little barrier while the teat is sealing back up

dont forget you have to be able to bred the dairy animal back in order to keep milking for an extended period of time (think once a year)

have fun

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Goat's milk fudge is the most amazing thing. It is definitely worth milking a goat for.

new topics

top topics

join