It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMA Journal - Parents of super obese kids should lose custody. (Nanny State running amok !! )

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by whitewave

People need to back off the parents for a second and ask yourself...just how much do YOU really know about nutrition. Even the experts (not the "so-called" experts, the best in the field) are having to backtrack as new data are published daily. So get off your high-horse and realize for a second how this really works.

I've brought this up multiple times before. You can't blame the parents when the advice we're being told by public health authorities is CONTRIBUTING to the problem.

When you've got greedy journalists and scientists and industry/media bias, and when politics infiltrate nutrition science, you get flippy-floppy articles that one year say eggs are bad, the next say just the yolk, and then the next year say the whole egg is good. It creates uncertainty within the general public. When I coach people on training and nutrition, one of the most common responses I get is.."One day they tell you to eat this, and the next they tell you not to. It's frustrating. So I just eat ________."

Any shallow minded individual (some in this thread) that seriously thinks parents would willingly feed their child/children horse sh!t out of an act of neglect or abuse to the degree and frequency with which we see it today should see a psychologist for symptoms of sociopathy and subsequently be banned from any social interaction...ever, as it's clear such an individual has no sense of what it is to be human.

Edit to Add: The level of nutrition education in this country is simply sad. The number of adults that I talk to that think only fat is fattening, or that sugar isn't detrimental because it doesn't have fat in it is overwhelming...or how about the number of people, and experts, that still think sodium consumption is causing hypertension and heart disease...when the evidence has existed and is still pouring from the journals suggesting dietary sodium is an insignificant factor.
edit on 14-7-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

Heres what I know about nutrition.

A cupcake makes you fat if you eat them everyday.

A carrot stick does not.

If your childs health is poor because of weight issues and you continue to supply cupcakes, ho hos, twinkies, moon pies, sodas, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, take out foods and anything else that common sense says should not be eaten if you have a weight problem then you are putting that childs health at a greater risk then said parent is abusing that child.

By the way you talk I'm assuming that you were,are, or have a fat kid.

I don't want to pay for some disguting fat bodies heart surgery he/she has to have because they are fat. It is the same thing with people not wanting to pay for any type of disease smokers get for smoking.

I'm tired of the "its cheaper to eat crappy" excuse. It is a lazy persons excuse and I come to expect such things from disgusting fat bodies.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming

Heres what I know about nutrition.

A cupcake makes you fat if you eat them everyday.

A carrot stick does not.

Blanket statements like this show just how little you know about nutrition. A cupcake a day for most children would be fine. (especially active children, and most are. Children don't become sedentary until they become obese) Conversely, 6 cups of chopped carrots would be the sugar (sucrose, very likely the same sugar used when baking a cupcake) equivalent of a can of soda. I'm not saying cupcakes and carrots are metabolically synonymous...just that it's not that as simple as you think.

If your childs health is poor because of weight issues and you continue to supply cupcakes, ho hos, twinkies, moon pies, sodas, cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, take out foods and anything else that common sense says should not be eaten if you have a weight problem then you are putting that childs health at a greater risk then said parent is abusing that child.

So now physical abuse that can lead to acute, and often permanent, injuries, permanent psychological effects (which often times leads to comfort eating and obesity) and even death are somehow a lesser health risk than eating junk food which almost always manifests as a chronic condition that takes time to manifest into degenerative disease later in life and is almost always reversible? You can't be serious...

And how narrow minded and naive of you to assume that obese kids are obese because their parents force feed them sweets and sodas.

By the way you talk I'm assuming that you were,are, or have a fat kid.

I never was a fat kid. I currently am not a fat kid. And I have no children to fatten.

I'm tired of the "its cheaper to eat crappy" excuse. It is a lazy persons excuse and I come to expect such things from disgusting fat bodies.

Obesity, in most cases, is NOT a psychological disease. Researchers have been applying that approach to treatment and, well, simply putting the fork down or getting off your lazy ass doesn't work (for most people). Metabolic hormones are dominating those "mental" issues. Until those hormones are in balance and the metabolic system is repaired, it's extremely difficult to see much progress in the treatment of obesity.

See...even YOU think you know what you're talking about...and you don't. Guess how many parents think they know what they're doing? Very few, as I explained in a previous post.
edit on 15-7-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join