It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dilithium Crystals "most likely" to power next generation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
In a Gallup poll released today, Americans chose dilithium crystals as the "most likely" fuel to run future cars and power plants, with 84% of Americans choosing the crystals over other options including nuclear, hydrogen, corn ethanol, shale gas, and photovoltaic solar panels. Respondents indicated that dilithium crystals are popular for providing quiet, clean energy, with a proven track record of seven-hundred twenty-six episodes in four different Star Trek television series.
www.energybulletin.net...

Where are the idiots coming from today.

I enjoyed star trek but do these people really believe that dilithium crystal power system really exist.

No wonder you have so many alternative energy scams out there.

So where is my transporter and phaser.

I also would like a holodeck to play in

If I have this in the wrong topic area feel free to move it as its so strange its hard to place in any topic area.
edit on 13-7-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

What?

I guarantee that this is a joke. Only white nerds know what dilithium crystals are.

assuming that 25 percent of white people are nerds (that know what dilithium is), and 40 percent of the participants of this survey are white;

also accounting for the 2 percent of non-whites that watch any of the star trek programs;

then:

10% of the survey are white nerds that know what dilithium is. 1.5 percent of the survey are non-whites that are sufficiently nerdy to know what dilithium is... to make for a combined total of 11.5% of the people surveyed are possible proponents of a dilithium-powered society...

Since the theoretical maximum of proponents of dilithium-power is 11.5 percent, and your figures state that 84 percent of respondents favor a dilithium-powered society; I therefore conclude that your study is not in accordance with commonly-accepted values-- and therefore is invalid.

Pleased to meet you, TROLLFACE

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I heard if you lick a toad and eat a cactus you can find an abundance of dilithium crystals.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Oh wow I had no idea what the OP was talking about from the title. I naively believed this was some new technological breakthrough and got all excited!

America, home of the geek, land of the nerd.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fa63a6bcab8.png[/atsimg]
edit on 13-7-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by voiceoreason
reply to post by ANNED

What?

I guarantee that this is a joke. Only white nerds know what dilithium crystals are.

assuming that 25 percent of white people are nerds (that know what dilithium is), and 40 percent of the participants of this survey are white;

also accounting for the 2 percent of non-whites that watch any of the star trek programs;

then:

10% of the survey are white nerds that know what dilithium is. 1.5 percent of the survey are non-whites that are sufficiently nerdy to know what dilithium is... to make for a combined total of 11.5% of the people surveyed are possible proponents of a dilithium-powered society...

Since the theoretical maximum of proponents of dilithium-power is 11.5 percent, and your figures state that 84 percent of respondents favor a dilithium-powered society; I therefore conclude that your study is not in accordance with commonly-accepted values-- and therefore is invalid.

Pleased to meet you, TROLLFACE

Not sure why you have to bring colour into this??

Your comment sound as though they have racist undertones to them..

And to the op... 99% of all statistics and surveys are pretty much made up..
They probably asked 100 people and averaged there figure through this select group.. Maybe there was a star trek convention in the area on the day they asked this question.. And those "white" nerds thought it would be funny..

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I've always told the kids that "Everything is from Star Trek". Not the new spin-offs, but the first series. There are a lot of parents who are Trekees that have passed on the Trekee ways.

Edit to Add: "Live long and prosper" my Trekee brothers and sisters!
edit on 13-7-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added line

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Dilithium Crystals do not exist, however Di-lithium gas does exist. In the Star Trek world they are not even a power source.

Dilithium crystals are a regulatory substance used to control the matter/anti-matter reaction in the warp engines in the Star Trek world, so they could not power a car even if the "crystals" existed.

Edit: As a side note, Steven Hawkins was in the Star Trek TNG studio for his cameo role in the epoisode where Data is playing poker with Hawkins, Einstein and Newton. He was given a tour of all the different sets and when they showed him the set with the warp engine he said "I am working on that".

edit on 13-7-2011 by Dreamwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Science fiction has spawned many real life breakthroughs, and I hope that this trend will continue. Think of how many scientists, pilots and astronauts were inspired by Star Trek.

Just as a point of note, as an individual who watched the original series back in the 60s, the crystals did not produce the energy. The energy was produced by the mixing of matter and anti-matter. This being the case, surely something of a similar vein may be discovered in the near to middle furture.

Live long and prosper.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher
Dilithium Crystals do not exist, however Di-lithium gas does exist. In the Star Trek world they are not even a power source.

Dilithium crystals are a regulatory substance used to control the matter/anti-matter reaction in the warp engines in the Star Trek world, so they could not power a car even if the "crystals" existed.

Was just about to point this out. Got me itching to hunt down another copy of the TNG Technical Manual.

Far as the Op, I wouldn't trust a poll far as I could throw it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

Damn, you mean he beat me to it? Wow, I missed that one. Slowing down in my old age. Love the Avatar.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Even if the poll is accurate, could it be that the children are confusing the term?

Lithium battery technology is widespread in everything, Li-Ion batteries are quite common.

Maybe the majority of the children were thinking Li-ion and Di-lithium were somehow related.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Actual star trek nerds would know that dilithium crystals don't power anything. They are simply required to regulate matter/anti-matter reactions. But even the people that wrote for star trek stopped caring at some point, as on Voyager they sometimes confused dilithium and deuterium. (i.e. talking about dilithium as a fuel source and deuterium as something you have to mine? WTF? It's abundantly in water...) They also consistently use 'upload' & 'download' incorrectly.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Hold on everybody, OP may be on to something....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6656098d4118.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If you trace this "story" back to its origin, you will find this:

In the issues of energy, many Americans pin their hopes on far-away technology solutions that will enable the nation to continue its growth in energy consumption, while sparing the public the challenge of making common-sense changes in our lives for greater community development, energy efficiency, and resource conservation. This week, Christine Patton, Co-Chair of Transition Oklahoma City, takes a humorous look at this line of thinking by describing a fictional future event and an out-of-this-world solution to America’s energy challenges.

www.aspousa.org...

It is a work of humorous fiction intended to make a political point. Nothing to see here.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well, I know a guy who has modified a car that is powered by crystals, although I don't know what type.

Top speed is pretty slow though, and it has problems around magnetic fields such as powerlines.

Yeah, I know.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well, as funny as it may seem Reality has a way of coming from Science Fiction. I often wonder if we are not all Prophets as we create and imagine our stories and unfold them to the minds of the Manifesting masses!

Here is a possibility:

When Chernobyl went critical and they had their meltdown, the fuel rods melted with the surrounding sand that was used as insulation and formed, what was then referred to as, "the elephant's foot", because of the shape. There were several robotic entries into this particular part of the reactor and what was discovered was quite shocking.

A newly formed, never before known form of yellow crystal occurred. It is now called Chernobylite.

Wikipage with minimal info--Apparently considered a mineral; Chernobylite

Here is a current picture of the "foot"

This photo comes from this site which has a brief description, although there are no other pictures of the crystals on the internet. I do remember back in the early 90's when there were several in circulation, but I could not find them. Chernobyl Disaster

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Funny which I'm sure is a typo but the date of the article indicates JUNE 18, 2012.

2nd line.

new topics

top topics

join