It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Official Says U.S. Is Breaking Rules In Torture Investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
www.wbur.org...

The United Nations chief torture investigator said the United States was violating U.N. rules, after the country denied him unmonitored access to Bradley Manning, the Army private charged with leaking among other things classified diplomatic cables to WikiLeaks.

Last April, as we reported, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan Mendéz expressed similar concerns, saying the United States would only allow a "private" visit rather than an "official" visit and also denied him the chance to visit Manning unsupervised.

Méndez, who is investigating complaints about Manning's treatment, made those comments in April to The Guardian. This time, as the U.N.'s news service reports, he's making them officially and saying the U.S. is breaking long-held U.N. rules when it comes to the investigation of torture. The U.N. reports:

At the request of Mr. Méndez and after several meetings, the US Department of Defense allowed him to visit Mr. Manning, but warned him that the conversation would be monitored.

He said such a condition violated long-standing rules that the UN applies for prison visits and for interviews with inmates everywhere in the world. On humanitarian grounds and under protest, Mr. Méndez, through Mr. Manning's counsel, offered to visit him under these restrictive conditions, an offer the detainee declined.

Mr. Méndez has, since the beginning of this year, been in negotiations with the US Government over unrestricted access to Mr. Manning, but he was last month informed that the Government was not in a position to accede to the request for a private and unmonitored meeting.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Anonymous recently released a video about this exact thing. Is the united nations listening? What does ATS think of this?

Bradly Manning may have been treated unfairly in prison.

Related Video:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Theres a shocker, the usa doesn't follows laws like everyone else. Nothing will happen might as well forget about it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Why will nothing happen? I think things are brewing. SOMETHING is definitely going to happen. I'm not sure what though.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
As the US looses influence and prestige ( Its agenda is pretty clear by now) it will be more common to see it at loggerheads with the geneva convention et al.....
The first strike doctrine is ndicative of the US loss of face and real power.......

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I don't know what's scarier. The fact that I agree that something is happening or the fact that it is happening.

top topics

join