It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding How THC Kills Cancer by Dennis Hill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Understanding How THC Kills Cancer

a reference to the work by Dennis Hill

The Cannabis Plant
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10f98c0f27de.jpg[/atsimg]

Cannabis (Cán-na-bis; English pronunciation: /ˈkænəbɪs/) is a genus of flowering plants that includes three putative species, Cannabis sativa,[1] Cannabis indica,[1] and Cannabis ruderalis. These three taxa are indigenous to Central Asia, and South Asia. [2] Cannabis has long been used for fibre (hemp), for seed and seed oils, for medicinal purposes, and as a recreational drug.

I will attempt to provide sufficient information for discussion in this thread on the conclusions made by Dennis Hill, among others, that the Cannabis plant is a cure for cancer. I will also encourage the reader to take what is mentioned here and further research the sources, the claims and the information.

In high school I opted to take a Physiology elective to learn the science of the human body. Every class was the thrill of discovery, and it set the course for my career in health sciences. Following a degree in Biochemistry, I spent ten years in cancer research at a world famous university hospital. I watched so many people die from cancer and its treatment, which deepened my resolve to do whatever it took to avoid this devastating demise.
- Dennis Hill

Dennis Hill's Blog - Understanding How THC Kills Cancer

Ultimately, the understanding of how to kill cancer cells came first from understanding what keeps cells alive generally. All cells use a basic chemical signaling system for their growth, developement and death. Dennis Hill began by understanding the working of ceramide within the cell and it's relation to the cell's death.

Ceramide

Ceramide can actually act as a signaling molecule. The most well-known functions of ceramides as cellular signals include regulating the differentiation, proliferation, programmed cell death (PCD), and apoptosis (Type I PCD) of cells.

One of the most studied roles of ceramide pertains to its function as a proapoptotic molecule. Apoptosis, a form of programmed cell death, is essential for the maintenance of normal cellular homeostasis and is an important physiological response to many forms of cellular stress. Ceramide accumulation has been found following treatment of cells with a number of apoptotic agents including ionizing radiation [1][6], UV light [7], TNF-alpha [8], and chemotherapeutic agents. This suggests a role for ceramide in the biological responses of all these agents. Because of its apoptosis-inducing effects in cancer cells, ceramide has been termed the “tumor suppressor lipid” . Several studies have attempted to define further the specific role of ceramide in the events of cell death and some evidence suggests ceramide functions upstream of the mitochondria in inducing apoptosis.

More information on this 'programmed death' - A house divided: ceramide, sphingosine, and sphingosine-1-phosphate in programmed cell death

Generally speaking the conclusion is that by increasing ceramide signaling in a cell, cancer or otherwise, the cell will initiate it's death. This is a natural process to maintain equilibrium, produce more healthy cells etc. within a healthy system.

Further, in order to cure cancer, Dennis Hill believed that Cannabinoids, such as Tetrahydrocannabinol - THC - chemical compounds produced naturally by the Cannabis plant, played an important role in inducing this natural death in cancer cells.

Before the 1980s, it was often speculated that cannabinoids produced their physiological and behavioral effects via nonspecific interaction with cell membranes, instead of interacting with specific membrane-bound receptors. The discovery of the first cannabinoid receptors in the 1980s helped to resolve this debate. These receptors are common in animals, and have been found in mammals, birds, fish, and reptiles. At present, there are two known types of cannabinoid receptors, termed CB1 and CB2,[1] with mounting evidence of more.[4]

The human body, and as mentioned mammals of other kinds, birds, fish and reptiles, have Cannabinoid receptors naturally occuring in them. This is known as the Endocannabinoid System

The endocannabinoid system refers to a group of neuromodulatory lipids and their receptors that are involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite, pain-sensation, mood, and memory; it mediates the psychoactive effects of cannabis and, broadly speaking, includes:

The cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2, two G protein-coupled receptors that are located in the central and peripheral nervous systems, respectively.
The endogenous arachidonate-based lipids, anandamide (N-arachidonoylethanolamine, AEA) and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG); these are known as "endocannabinoids" and are physiological ligands for the cannabinoid receptors.
The enzymes that synthesize and degrade the endocannabinoids. Unlike traditional neurotransmitters, endogenous cannabinoids are not stored in vesicles after synthesis, but are synthesized on demand (Rodriguez de Fonseca et al., 2004).[citation needed] However, some evidence suggests that a pool of synthesized endocannabinoids (namely, 2-AG) may exist without the requirement of on-demand synthesis.[1]

Briefly, the endocannabinoid system is in every cell in the human body. It is used when sickness or damage is signaled in one form or another by the body to initiate the need for the immune system to function and healing to take place.

The reasoning to conclude thus far would be that the introduction into the body of the cannabinoid chemicals occuring naturally in the Cannabis plant - would thus stimulate the endocannabinoid system that already naturally exists in the body.

Now, back to ceramide and initiating natural cell death - and the plan to use this on cancer.

Very simply, when THC connects to the CB1 or CB2 cannabinoid receptor site on the
cancer cell, it causes an increase in ceramide synthesis which drives cell death. A normal healthy cell does not produce ceramide in the presence of THC, thus is not affected by the cannabinoid.
The cancer cell dies, not because of cytotoxic chemicals, but because of a tiny little shift in the mitochondria. Within most cells there is a cell nucleus, numerous
mitochondria (hundreds to thousands), and various other organelles in the cytoplasm. The purpose of the mitochondria is to produce energy (ATP) for cell use. As ceramide starts to accumulate, turning up the Sphingolipid Rheostat, it increases the mitochondrial membrane pore permeability to cytochrome c, a critical protein in energy synthesis. Cytochrome c is pushed out of the mitochondria, killing the source of energy for the cell.
Ceramide also causes genotoxic stress in the cancer cell nucleus generating a protein
called p53, whose job it is to disrupt calcium metabolism in the mitochondria. If this weren’t enough, ceramide disrupts the cellular lysosome, the cell’s digestive system that provides nutrients for all cell functions. Ceramide, and other sphingolipids, actively inhibit pro-survival pathways in the cell leaving no possibility at all of cancer cell survival.
The key to this process is the accumulation of ceramide in the system. is means
taking therapeutic amounts of THC, steadily, over a period of time, keeping metabolic
pressure on this cancer cell death pathway.

The reason this works is that the body has already naturally evolved a cannabinoid receptive system to maintain general health and homeostasis on many levels.

Typically CBD gravitates to the densely packed CB2 receptors in the spleen, home to
the body’s immune system. From there, immune cells seek out and destroy cancer cells.

It would be argued that during more intense forms of illness the basic functioning of the chemicals and processes within the immune system can benefit from introducing therapeutic stimulation. Dennis Hill argues that even without the aid of the immune system, which is already benefited from introducing cannabinoids from the Cannabis plant into the body, cannabinoids have the ability to be anticancerous.

Interestingly, it has been shown that THC and CBD cannabinoids have the ability to kill cancer cells directly without going through immune intermediaries. THC and CBD hijack the lipoxygenase pathway to directly inhibit tumor growth.

Now, obviously there is alot of technical, scientific and 'Doctor' talk going on here. So i encourage the reader to find any peices that warrant further research or understanding and i hope that i have provided enough links, quotes and basic 'briefing' to warrant in anyone that this further research would be worth it. I mean, the cure for cancer! Not only that, but a NATURAL cure!

Now, recently there had been a thread mentioning Dennis Hill and posting two videos concerning an interview of his insight into this subject. Those two videos were mislinked in the original post and were not correctly fixed, however; the two parts of the interview with Dennis Hill can be found here -

Prostate Cancer Cured with Cannabis Oil - Part 1 - Spiral Up with Ava Marie

Prostate Cancer Cured with Cannabis Oil - Part 2 - Sprial Up with Ava Marie

Some of my information i have found ( again i encourage the reader to continue and find more information, and of course, SPREAD THAT INFORMATION! ) and headstarts for anyone wanting to learn more

Understanding How THC Kills Cancer in Humans

Cannabinoid Receptor as a Novel Target for the Treatment of Prostate Cancer

Our results suggest that WIN-55,212-2 or other non–habit-forming cannabinoid receptor agonists could be developed as novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of prostate cancer.

5-Lipoxygenase and anandamide hydrolase (FAAH) mediate the antitumor activity of cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid

edit on 7/11/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
thanks for reading my thread

edit on 7/11/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
some further evidence to support the original post

Study Explains How Cannabis Kills Cancer Cells

Cannabinoids: potential anticancer agents, Study by Manuel Guzman

by modulating key cell-signalling pathways, thereby inducing direct growth arrest and death of tumor cells, as well as by inhibiting the growth of blood vessels that supply the tumor.

Feel free to check out this article, i will mostly just quote some things said that seem to be on the same page of the original post's scientific assertion.

"Cancer occurs because cells become immortalized; they fail to heed normal signals to turn off growth. A normal function of remodelling in the body requires that cells die on cue. This is called apoptosis, or programmed cell death.

That process fails to work in tumors. THC promotes its reappearance so that gliomas, leukemias, melanomas and other cell types will in fact heed the signals, stop dividing, and die."

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
An excellent synopsis of the system! S&F for an informative ,factual post. That this information is readily available to anyone it is quite obvious the federal designation of Schedule 1/ no medical value is being maintained for reasons beyond the definitions of a schedule 1 substance. A cure for cancer would cost the medical community billions of dollars world wide.And I am sure they have hedged there bets in this with lots of money
seed

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well done my friend!

There's soo much research and proof of this stuff,
Just not enough people who are aware of it.

Good thread, thanks.
*&f

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Please add to the existing discussion HERE

Closed.

join