It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English prem league who will be relagated?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
See and I thought this thread was about relegated teams?

In fairness, you did say ''the EPL is such an odd and unpredictable league'' - a statement which could readily be interpreted as an encompassment of the Premier League as a whole, rather than a commentary on the purported unpredictability of the relegation battle within the league. However, I'm not going to pedantically quibble over the ambiguity of your comment, as that is a complete irrelevancy in the overall context of this discussion.

I don't think anyone at the start of the 08/09 season thought Newcastle would get relegated...... few would have thought that with the squad that West Ham had that they would also drop.

Newcastle and West Ham are two clubs who have a bigger reputation than they merit; a reputation which is entirely based on the size of the city/area of the city that they hail from, and the consequent large fanbase which these clubs boast.

I'd be lying if I said that Newcastle were considered serious relegation candidates before the start of the 08/09 season, but they weren't exactly pulling up any trees in the previous couple of seasons, were they ?

A 12th place finish ( 7 points above the relegation zone ) was preceded by another 12th place finish ( 8 points above the relegation zone ).

If you ignore the ''massive club'' status that deluded Geordies like to bestow upon their club, can you really say that it was that great a shock that a team who had finished 7-8 points outside the relegation zone in the previous two years went down the following season ?

I don't see anything too surprising about West Ham's relegation last season. They narrowly avoided relegation in 09/10, and eventually finished 17th, just one place above the drop-zone.

The relegation battle is always a fantastically exciting thing and throws up surprises every season.

I agree that the relegation battle is exciting, but disagree that it throws up too many surprises. It's exciting because it always involves around 4-6 clubs which most of us have opinions about, either positive or negative.

For example, I quite like Wigan Athletic, but I'm not so favourably disposed towards Birmingham City. The final day of the PL season was enthralling for me, because I was rooting for Wigan to stay up and for Birmingham to be relegated.

It doesn't make it unpredictable or surprising, though.

Of the 24 teams who have been relegated over the last 8 seasons, half of them have been clubs that had been promoted in the previous season.

Out of the remaining 12 clubs, only 2 of them had top-half finishes the season before, and both of those clubs were victims of ''second season syndrome''; Birmingham this year and Reading in 2007.

The other ten relegated teams' positions in the preceding season were as follows: 17th, 14th, 17th, 12th, 13th, 13th, 12th, 17th, 12th, 15th.

Not really that surprising that these teams were fighting relegation the following season.

Obviously the title race is a different matter, but as nobody mentioned the title or the top 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 teams, then neither will I.

As I have already addressed, your initial comment was, at best, ambiguous.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Oh man.... Okaaaayyy

You win the "most long-winded post award" for that...

But anyway, it is always surprising.... out of the bottom half, the bottom 10 teams, only 3 go down and out of those 3 there are obviously 1 or 2 newly promoted teams, that is usually how it works.... It's the other team (or two) that often throws up surprises.

Obviously with The Undertaker (Avram Grant) in charge, West Ham were destined for the drop but I still think with the squad they had, compared to some of the other clubs battling for survival, that they had more of a chance of survival.... But it's all about morale.... they were just in a rut and Avram was NOT the man to change things.

Shame really....

Anyway I'll stick my neck out and say that the following teams will get relegated.

Norwich
QPR
Wolves

But as I previously said, all 3 might stay up... and that's the beauty of the League.

edit on 10/7/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
wigan barely survived last season and if they dont hold onto mccarthy and nzogbia their going down
blackburn also barely made it and steve kean hasnt got a tactical brain. their failing to sign any of their transfer targets.they look like their going down too. if QPR can hang onto tabaaret and sign a couple of proven premiership players they'll be ok. warnock has experience in the top flight as well. swansea's attacking football should ruffle a few teams this season. they'll have a real go like blacpool did at the start of last season. so norwich are my 3rd choice for the drop. to be honest i know nothing about them but i reckon wolves,villa,qpr,swansea, west brom and newcastle should all survive again.
so its wigan,blackburn and norwich to be relegated i reckon. now what time does the bookies open in the morning? that looks like a solid bet to me

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
I think Wigan and Blackburn are real strong candidates for the drop and think swansea or Cardiff will join them.
Wolves will flirt with danger again, and so will QPR...
I am just hoping another team breaks the winning group - either tottenham, man city or Liverpool...just want to see ANYONE else win it as it's getting like Scotland now!!

no cardiff didnt get promoted

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You win the "most long-winded post award" for that...

I have a PhD in long-windedness from the University of Making Mountains out of Molehills.

But anyway, it is always surprising.... out of the bottom half, the bottom 10 teams, only 3 go down and out of those 3 there are obviously 1 or 2 newly promoted teams, that is usually how it works.... It's the other team (or two) that often throws up surprises.

But it never throws up genuine surprises !

Liverpool had a terrible season last year, yet they still ended up finishing 6th.

Name me one team, other than the 3 promoted teams and Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan, Fulham, Stoke, who would be a ''surprise'' addition to the relegation dogfight in May 2012.

It's not exactly like Arsenal will be in grave danger of dropping down to the Championship.

Obviously with The Undertaker (Avram Grant) in charge, West Ham were destined for the drop but I still think with the squad they had, compared to some of the other clubs battling for survival, that they had more of a chance of survival.... But it's all about morale.... they were just in a rut and Avram was NOT the man to change things.

And if John Terry hadn't bottled his penalty, then Avram Grant would have joined the illustrious list of European Cup winning managers.

Grant mightn't have been a perfect fit for West Ham, but his managerial achievements and credentials are there for all to see.

The fact that you use the derogatory nickname ''The Undertaker'' when referring to him, tells me a lot about how you analyse the beautiful game.

Anyway I'll stick my neck out and say that the following teams will get relegated.

Norwich
QPR
Wolves

Ah, good show !

I have to question why you left Swansea and Wigan out of your equations ?

But as I previously said, all 3 might stay up... and that's the beauty of the League.

What's the ''beauty of the league'' ? You make it sound like the EPL is something different or special.

My team currently resides in the Championship, and I can assure you that that's a competitive, unpredictable league which puts the Premier League to shame !

edit on 16-7-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marvinthemartian
Arsnal in the top 6 are you sure?
I would be very worried this year if i was a gooner.

Of course Arsenal will finish in the top 6 !

Even without Nasri and Fabregas, they will still, at the very least, challenge for a Champions League place.

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but I like the signing of Gervinho. He looked impressive when he was playing for the Ivory Coast, and I caught a couple of Lille OSC games last season, where he was rampaging in attack.

He's a versatile attacker, and I predict that Gervinho will be a well-known name amongst English football supporters, come the end of the 2011/12 season !!!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Newcastle fan here!!!!

If you ignore the ''massive club'' status that deluded Geordies like to bestow upon their club

Up Yours Holmes!!!

I fancy Swansea/Norwich/Blackburn to go down,dont think QPR will have a problem staying up next year!

And sure the Toon havent won nothing for a long time but we are still in the top ten most succesfull clubs in england,surely thats what makes a big club!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Name me one team, other than the 3 promoted teams and Wigan, Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan, Fulham, Stoke, who would be a ''surprise'' addition to the relegation dogfight in May 2012.

You're really pushing Wigan huh? So much that you named them twice...

The point is with the 3 newly promoted teams, it's almost half the league we're talking about.

I'm not saying it would be shocking or unhead of... I'm not saying Arsenal will go down, just that it throws up surprises.

That's my opinion.... if you don't agree, that's fine.

Grant mightn't have been a perfect fit for West Ham, but his managerial achievements and credentials are there for all to see.

What?? You have no clue..

He's managed 3 English clubs and two of those have been relegated with him in charge....

I think he's a nice guy, the way Lampard and Terry spoke of him tells me he's a lovely bloke and probably well liked wherever he goes.

But to say his credentials and achievements are there for all to see is ridiculous.... the guy couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery.

Stick me in charge at Chelsea and I'd probably "nearly" win stuff too.... it means nothing.
He is a terrible manager, lovely guy but terrible manager.

He took over arguably the best squad in the Premiership and won no trophies.

He reached the League cup, FA cup and European cup finals and lost them all.

So he's won no trophies, with any club, outside of Israel, and has relegated two of the three clubs he has managed.

Yes he did well in Israel.... yes he has a good youth policy.....

NO...

He is NOT a great manager at all.

He only got any of his jobs because of his contacts.... he always stepped in when better managers were sacked and did even worse.

The guy is a managerial joke.

Ah, good show !

I have to question why you left Swansea and Wigan out of your equations ?

Well I picked 3.... and said those teams WILL go down.

I didn't pick 10 (like yourself) and say all of these might go down.
All of this started because you didn't understand the premise of the thread.... I listed my teams, spoke a little about the league in general... and here we are.

If you think other teams will go down, name 3 of them, move on and STFU.

My team currently resides in the Championship, and I can assure you that that's a competitive, unpredictable league which puts the Premier League to shame !

I'm sure I'd say the same if I were in your position.... what else can you say huh?

:shk:

edit on 17/7/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon
Up Yours Holmes!!!

Thank you very much.

Originally posted by lektrofellon
And sure the Toon havent won nothing for a long time but we are still in the top ten most succesfull clubs in england,surely thats what makes a big club!!!!!!!!

It depends on which way you want to rank clubs. Sunderland have won two more league titles than your lot.

When your last major trophy was won 42 years ago, any boast of ''massive club'' status is generally treated in much the same way as similar claims made by fans of Huddersfield Town !

I accept that Newcastle fans are often unfairly tarred with the same brush, but let's not pretend that a lot of your club's supporters are not seriously deluded. They constantly think of themselves as a ''massive club'', and, in the face of reason, clamour for anyone who is remotely linked with the club to be their next manager.

I remember after Kevin Keegan's resignation in 2008, Sky Sports News had a vox-pop of deluded Geordies outside St. James' Park. When asked about who they would like as a replacement, one of them said, in all seriousness, Jose Mourinho ! As if a hugely successful club manager would even consider going to an obscure club in north-east England.

That is pure Geordie delusion, for you. I also remember the shameful treatment of Sir Bobby Robson in 1999, by sections of the ''Toon army''.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by marvinthemartian
Arsnal in the top 6 are you sure?
I would be very worried this year if i was a gooner.

Of course Arsenal will finish in the top 6 !
Even without Nasri and Fabregas, they will still, at the very least, challenge for a Champions League place.

after todays performance are you still so sure?
edit on 20-8-2011 by marvinthemartian because: oops

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So its

Wolves
Blackburn
Bolton

Unlucky lads.

Congratulations Man City.

And we wont mention my club....first time Everton finished above us since 2004.

Couple of months and it all starts again......cant wait.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join