It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunman Kills Himself After Shooting Seven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Gunman Kills Himself After Shooting Seven

news.sky.com

Police suspect Rodrick Dantzler shot dead five adults and two children at two different locations in northeast Grand Rapids, Michigan, setting off a manhunt with helicopters.

One of the victims was 10 years old, police said, adding that Dantzler had a personal connection to the two houses where he carried out the killings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Madness, the shooter even took his daughter with him. The reason I am posting this is that I have found only two sites (Yahoo, Sky) which are reporting this and one is claiming that he was Bi polar without his medication and the other that he was simply an angry man. The video cut half way through on Sky and now it is no longer there.

I read that he was about to give himself up and was with negotiators when he shot himself in the head.

Also what I find curious are the comments from British people stating that it’s because of the gun laws in the states and the constitutions fault, that they would never have this problem in the UK as all guns are illegal.

My question is about how Americans feel, would you feel safer with everyone, including yourself, being armed or would safety come from illegal ownership of hand guns?

There does seem to be a high number of gun related deaths (30K) but is that just because the ratio of population is higher. I am not buying that there is only 400 gun related deaths in the UK because they are illegal.

Anyhow, thoughts must be with the relatives and the tragedy of young life taken, by someone in your own family no less.

Peace

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

There is plenty of data and statistics showing that violent crime is actually higher in the UK and other gun control areas. There are a few exceptions, but the gun is just one small piece of the puzzle. Guns do not put anyone in danger, and in fact, if any of those 7 victims had been armed themselves, then the outcome would likely have been different.

This is a tragedy. I hate hearing that people, especially children, have been murdered for no good reason.

We had a brutal double murder (almost triple, but she survived) here in my town recently, and I was acquainted with the victims, and it did not involve any guns. Just a crazy man with a knife.

We need to look at the pressure, stress, and strife that causes the crime, not the tool used to commit it.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
While gun control does stop civil people from having guns, criminals always find a way to get them. That creates an imbalance. However, I can say that with our gun laws i am lucky i never saw a gun pulled on anyone, nor has any gun crimes happened where I lived. There is no big worry about too many guns laying around, we dont worry about kids shooting themselves with parents guns and more.

Fact is, sure, gun laws dont stop criminals. It does stop the shooting accidents, kids finding guns, violent crimes are down as well.

While I am no advocate either way, logic says...with laws that don't allow us to have guns, guns will never become a big problem. We will always find some guns but when we do it will never be lawful and always will be confiscated.
edit on 8-7-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
You (getreadyalready) make a very good and valid point. I am aware of the high number of violent crime in areas of the UK. Some girls came into the canteen at college where my sister studies and stabbed a girl. I think that what you say about the weapons used is irrelevant and the actual need to understand the stresses and reasons is spot on.

I just don’t like the way that in the UK they (MSN Government, Pressure Groups etc.) use any gun tragedy in the USA to further push their agenda regarding gun laws/crime.

I for one do not like guns and would like to see the end of them, it’s not going to happen, and probably for good reason. However, in saying that if it was legal to own one where I live I would have one, as you rightfully say if one of the other 6 had a gun maybe the number would have been less.

edit on 8/7/2011 by LestatG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Original Thread Here

Closing Duplicate

Semper

top topics

join