It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy will drive you crazy!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
In my opinion, it is the same ship mainly because we all came from the same plum of energy that cause the big bang.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It depends on the perception of it's inhabitants. If the people that were on the ship saw it as the same #, then it's identity is the same.

Should Charles Manson be set free because all of the cells in his body have been disposed of since his incarceration? No because of you look at me 10 years ago...I have a different appearance and sound, but the way I speak and act has hardly changed at all. And people around me undoubtedly think of me as relatively the same person.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
its not about how one gets there, its what one does while and when getting there.

the ship matters not, focus should be placed on the voyage.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

As far as the ship, itself, is concerned, I would say...

If every piece has been replaced by the time it returned from the voyage, then the voyage must have been extensive to do that much damage. Each part would not have deteriorated at the same rate as the rest of the parts Although, more than one part at a time may have needed to be replaced. However, some parts would have required regular checks and maintenance, and may have been replaced more than just once
This means that parts were replaced at different intervals along the entire ship's voyage. As each part or series of parts were replaced at different intervals along the voyage, they would inherently become part of the ship. Even though it is a new part, it does take it's place amongst the other newer or original parts. As such, the part/parts would began to age with time, and would no longer be truly new...but just newer than the original part/parts. As this was happening, other parts were being replaced by new parts, and the cycle continues. By the time the voyage was actually over, there may be a few new parts (as in a few days old), plus all of the other parts that where replaced at different intervals, and not collectively new...They All Aged with the Ship!
Therefore, it was not entirely the same ship as when it left because it has a virtually 'new body' in comparison with the old. However, it is the same ship as each part simply became a new part of the Ship. With age, it would have settled into it's position as if it belonged there. But I must point out the most important thing...
The Captain remained the Same!
Therefore, philosophically, as long as the 'Captain' (My brain) was still in charge along the entire voyage (Life), then replacing deteriorating and/or malfunctioning parts (cloned replacement organs, stem cell regeneration, etc), then the Ship (Body) would eventually have All New Parts. However, they would have been utilized at various points along the Voyage, and therefore, wouldn't have All been entirely new any longer by the end.
...And as long as the 'Captain' remains, then it is the same ship.
For who better knows their own ship if Not the 'Captain'? I'm sure Captain Kirk would agree...

edit on 9-7-2011 by BrandrTorny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Everything changes but you!!!!
There is nothing the same anywhere!
Every 'thing' changes.
'Things' never stay the same.

However, what sees the changing 'things'?
What is it that is aware of the movement, the everchanging flow of life?
Take a look and see.
That never changes.
And i am that.
edit on 9-7-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Because we believe in materialism, we believe that everything is old and the same. Same old, same old!!!
Nothing is old, everything is new and fresh.
Some see the world as decaying, but this is not true.
Each moment there is death and rebirth.
It all starts and ends in this eternal now.

Know this and you will be at peace.
'This' is all there is.
What ever is happening is all there is.
Appearences appearing then disappearing.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Physically there are some parts of the brain that regenerate and some that stay the same throughout life. The neocortex (higher brain functions, spatial perception, motor control) does not however, this was tested by carbondating the DNA. Other research showed some neurons do regenerate and recent studies showed grey matter (used for processing sensory information) can increase after doing simple excercises like meditation. But it's not known for anyone's brain to alter significantly troughout life, as in growing a completely new part of the brain to accomodate the psyche. So it must be the brain and mind at the core stays the same throughout life.

As for the boat, the captain to me would have to be the psyche, the intangible set of beliefs about oneself and the world which can be traced back to it's origins, the brain but can also be viewed without it. Inside this intangible inner world is where the captain truly exists and experiences himself. With each experience the captain may grow but at the core it's still the same thing that is interacting with the world, sailing the seas learning how to navigate. As for the ship, some parts might be changed but some core elements will not for the entire journey.

So for the crazy part, suppose there's a radio onboard the captain listens to. Is it possible to make the captain believe it is not the captain but instead just someone working at the lower decks who images there's a captain but never bothers to check because the broadcasts from the radio told him so?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
'That' is here always watching all 'things', even thoughts that arise within and emotions too.
This is what i like to call the all seeing 'I'.

The 'thing' that looks out the eyes and sees the body and the world is not really a 'thing'.
It is not a thing and maybe that is why so many miss it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Is the ship the same ship? Or is it a completely different ship?

it is whichever the ships captain chooses it to be, if he chooses to see it as a new ship then thus it is, but if he chooses to believe it is still the same old ship, then it is,

in reality the word ship the label of the name given to the ship the association you have in your mind that assigns this ship to one name/label or another is all choice,

it is what you choose to label things and believe them to be labeled as,

lets say you knew no language whatsoever, would the tree be called a tree? of course not,

the ship the tree, isnt this or that, it just is, and everything more then that is only your mind trying to label and categorize things, to help your own thinking,

declaring it is an old ship or a new ship has no affect on it, and only an effect on your own thinking, such declarations are for your own mind alone, and thus it is your own choice or the choice of the group involved what to label labels as

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The ship may have different parts but that doesn't make it a different ship. It makes it the same ship with different parts. If a human being loses their arm and they need a replacement, does this make them a different person? The same ship with upgrades, that's my take.

<< 1   >>

join