It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland Immigration-Tuition Bill will go to Voters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The title comes from the email heading, not the related article. Just FYI

Maryland officials have certified enough signatures to let voters decide whether to give undocumented immigrants in-state tuition breaks. Barring successful court challenges, the state’s version of the DREAM Act will be the first law sent to voters in 20 years.

I recieved a Local News Report from the Washington Post today and thought this was important to share.

Marlyand has one of the largest immigrant populations in the country and for those that don't know, the DC Metro area is a harbor for immigrants of all races.

White persons, percent, 2010 - 58.2%
Black persons, percent, 2010 - 29.4%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 - 0.4%
Asian persons, percent, 2010 - 5.5%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 - 0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 - 2.9%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 - 8.2%
White persons not Hispanic, persons, 2010 - 54.7%

Link

At a little over 16.0%, for all Immigrant populations, that's a significant chunk of the population. Not that it compares with others like California or Texas.

Now, back to the Article. It basically outlines a bill, a version of the DREAM Act, that would give Illegal Immigrants the opportunity to recieve in-state tuition to any public Maryland university.

Maryland’s version of the DREAM Act would more than halve tuition rates for undocumented immigrants at Maryland colleges and universities. For a four-year degree, the plan could cost the state $40,000 per student, and Maryland officials have estimated that hundreds of undocumented high school graduates would apply for the aid.

I'm all for legal immigration. I think it is what makes America great. But Illegal Immigrants should not be afforded ALL the same treatments. This is one of those things that should not be permitted. $40,000 per student is a lot of money that Maryland, nor any state for that, has to blow.

Opposition of the bill is great, specifically from the Conservatives in the state.

Opponents say they are on pace to turn in a combined 100,000 signatures by Thursday, even though state elections officials say they have certified most of the nearly 56,000 needed to suspend the law and send it to a statewide referendum in November 2012. The law had been scheduled to take effect Friday, but it has been suspended while officials await a final tally on the signatures.

Washington Post Article

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Since I come from a family of legal immigrants I'm going to say NO to the Dream Act since I find this unfair.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This is unfair to the American citizen who will not be getting the same break. Why do illegals get catered to when our own citizens need help?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Because this country is ran by morons at the moment.

Sorry for the brief answer but I thought it was the only fitting one.

=)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I come from a family that has lived in America since the colonial days. I also think it's unfair, but sometimes we must sacrifice at the moment to help the future.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife

I come from a family that has lived in America since the colonial days. I also think it's unfair, but sometimes we must sacrifice at the moment to help the future.

The undocumented can get a savings of what? Thousands? How about our own citizen kids get that kind of a break?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
This is unfair to the American citizen who will not be getting the same break. Why do illegals get catered to when our own citizens need help?

Unfortunately, to Progressives "fair" and "equal" are mutually exclusive terms, only to be used when their agenda of destroying America is most advantageous to them.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife

Sacrifice must be two-sided here. What do illegal immigrants sacrifice that benefits America and her citizens?

/TOA

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

What I meant, was in the long-run, the possibility of millions of educated immigrants could pay off. The trade off is that legal, documented Americans lose their unalienable right to the pursuit of happiness.

I don't agree with this decision at all, I'm just trying to keep an open mind.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Unfortunately, to Progressives "fair" and "equal" are mutually exclusive terms, only to be used when their agenda of destroying America is most advantageous to them.

/TOA

America should be destroyed. So should every other nation on the planet. It is about time that we stopped dividing our single species by a multitude of imaginary lines drawn on a map. One species, One Planet, One Nation.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17

/TOA

America should be destroyed. So should every other nation on the planet. It is about time that we stopped dividing our single species by a multitude of imaginary lines drawn on a map. One species, One Planet, One Nation.

In other words you want open borders? So if a murderer or pedophile or gang member or terrorists wants to come here that's ok? We have borders for a reason.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

/TOA

In other words you want open borders? So if a murderer or pedophile or gang member or terrorists wants to come here that's ok? We have borders for a reason.
Those aren't exclusive to any one nation. Timothy McVeigh anyone?

I do not want a multitude of nations. I want a singular nation, a nation of the whole of humanity. We need to stop spending money killing each other and start spending it creatively.
edit on 7/8/2011 by SG-17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

/TOA

In an ant farm or bee hive that works well. Until you put carpenter ants with Amazon ants, or bumblebees with honey bees.

Humans are the same way. We like to think we aren't, that we are above ants and bees in how we treat others that are different than we are, but we are just the same. Everyone living homogeneously won't work. We are too culturally driven, and some cultures clash so badly they will just annihilate each other.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

join