It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School found using bomb as bell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

School found using bomb as bell

news.yahoo.com

A mine awareness team in Uganda was horrified to find an unexploded bomb being used as a bell when they visited a school to teach children how to spot bombs, a local newspaper reported.

The Anti-Mine Network organization saw teachers banging the bomb with stones to call children to lessons in a 700-pupil school in a rural area, the Daily Monitor said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
What an incredible story...and thank God it has a happy ending!

One can only imagine the carnage that might have ensued if a teacher had actually hit the "sweet spot" of this mine.

It is mind-boggling really...exactly what did they think they were hammering on?

Land mine usage in wartime is ludicrous in and of itself...and leads to high numbers of civilian casualties, and severe injuries, long after hostilities have ceased. This was the reason behind the late Princess Diana's great crusade against their use.

But come on...really...using one as a bell?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Shocking story and even more shocking is the fact that the adults/school leaders had been using this old/live mortar round for three years as a bell. 3 years. Shouldn't these adults know better considering the war torn history of their nation.

Following the discovery, Bwambale said he called the shocked teachers to a meeting, where he was told that the school had been using the bomb as a bell for three years.

news.yahoo.com...

Perhaps they should look for an old piece of sheet metal or plate steel to use as a bell. Even better, an old hub cap/wheel cover or a frying pan or kitchen kettle.

Scary stuff.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

With coups happening every time 10 armed "people" gather looking for something to do on a otherwise dull day, how is it that they cannot recognize a mine (not likely), or a mortar shell (not likely) or a dud howitzer round? Talk about STUPID!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This reminds me of the ending
of one of the Old LooneyToons
where bugs bunny is a inspector
working on a assembly line that is producing bombs

and as the bombs pass his station
he whacks'em with a hammer, while cringing
when it doesn't explode
He then marks it Dud with a piece of chalk

wow ... wish I could remember the title of that 1
classic...

Not sure I would want to attend school in at this place
Kinda makes ya wonder what kinda education their getting
I guess commonsense has never been a class

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Good thing the mine wasnt designed by Ford... it would have exploded with the first pebble.

...or maybe it WAS designed by Ford, hence its incapacity to do what its supposed to do without breaking and needing thousands of dollars worth of repairs after only minimal usage.

Yep, Im definitely going with the latter on this one.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

At about the 6:40 mark

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks for digging that out...
The peeling the toes of the boots
like hot banana's ...i had totally forgot

had to watch the whole thing thru twice

top topics