It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Krauthammer: "Middle-Aged May Never Get Employed Again"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

"The problem is at the consumer level, confidence is low and that is because, as you showed, showed we had underemployment with one out of every six Americans. The worst element of that is that among the unemployed, against the American history, more than approaching half, have [been] unemployed for over six months. That is historically unprecedented in the United States. That is a phenomenon that is seen often in Europe, rarely seen here. In 2007 the average time to get a new job was five weeks. It's now near six months. And that implies a whole segment of the population, the more elderly or the middle-aged who may never get employed again," Charles Krauthammer said on FOX News this evening.

Link

Does it really surprise anyone? Employers have to pay more for older aged workers, and though reliability and experience may be an attractive prospect for employers from older employees, many businesses are looking at the bottom line as economic conditions remain mediocre.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist

"The problem is at the consumer level, confidence is low and that is because, as you showed, showed we had underemployment with one out of every six Americans. The worst element of that is that among the unemployed, against the American history, more than approaching half, have [been] unemployed for over six months. That is historically unprecedented in the United States. That is a phenomenon that is seen often in Europe, rarely seen here. In 2007 the average time to get a new job was five weeks. It's now near six months. And that implies a whole segment of the population, the more elderly or the middle-aged who may never get employed again," Charles Krauthammer said on FOX News this evening.

Link

Does it really surprise anyone? Employers have to pay more for older aged workers, and though reliability and experience may be an attractive prospect for employers from older employees, many businesses are looking at the bottom line as economic conditions remain mediocre.

That's kind of a bizarre rationalization. You can hire somebody who can: walk in monday morning (day one) and fix that transmission or machine once; shows up ready for work early or at least on time everyday
and makes the business money( the ONLY reason anybody hires anybody at all). or you can hire some kid off the street who doesn't know" jack-"
I thinkMr.Krauthammer was trying to say"we are in truly uncharted territory" here.
edit on 5-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I've noticed in various lines of work and at all sorts of levels larger entities like super stores, chain services, gigantic bureaucracies like universities and government, really prefer the cheap poor quality labor over actually getting the job done right.

As if they just keep the front door open and whoever shows up for $2 gets to work for the day regardless of how poorly the work gets done if it gets done at all.

This behavior will create its own "bubble" of sorts soon enough. You can only bondo and duct tape your car so much before it falls apart costing you more than it would have if you just fixed it right from the beginning.

link   
I rather liken it to not "middle aged" but "middle management"....
Have you not done any investigations into the NWO? Only room for elites and working serfs. Why are millions of people around the world, including some low key MSM outlets, starting to talk louder about the NWO? Why are western governments shipping good paying jobs overseas, quite happily? And replacing those jobs with McD retail jobs? If you don't know the answer to those questions may I suggest you start reading whilst there is still an Internet.

link   
It is sad. as there is a wealth of experience in middle aged workers. They generally have the "real world" experience to solve problems, look beyond the manuals and instruction booklets, and can diagnose problems...because they have seen that problem before and fixed it.

I'm not talking about programming VCRs and computers....I am talking about repairing lawn mowers, engines, fixing cracked foundations and leaky roofs, or mending clothes, or cooking, farming...real hands on kind of stuff so many people don't do any more.

As such...the greatest opportunity for middle age workers unemployed...is self employment. And many are doing just that...either up front and according to law...or more often, under the table. I know many men that have lost thier jobs and are now "Mr Fix-It"...doing small odd jobs repairing light sockets, switches, drippy faucettes, selling produce at road side stands, cutting grass, boat maintainance and detailing, carpentry, brick masonry, power washing, etc....

These are real can do kind of people... what a valuable resource for an industry to willingly give up... in years to come, we will reap what we have sown....all ready are.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I know plenty of people in their 30’s, 40’s & 50’s who are having difficulty finding jobs. I have been unemployed for three months. I was refused work at an animal shelter in an unpaid volunteer status because they had to take all the people who had been given community work by the court and they said they were over-staffed.

I have applied at many places as an unpaid intern and yet to receive a call. Studies have shown that the longer you are unemployed, the fewer chances you will get at a job.

I will be returning to school, just so I don’t have a blank time frame on my resume. In the meantime, I’m saving as much as I can and will open my own business eventually. But that’s at least a year or more down the road.

new topics

top topics

join