It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio Shack & GRE limit scanner's ability to monitor for Big Bro

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
These is a day coming when ALL scanners will be illegal. They do not want any one to know what they are up to.

Never going to happen to many agencies use scanner to monitor other agencies traffic.
I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT and had a scanner to monitor search and rescue, forest service, police and sheriff's.

This gave me a 2 to 10 minute heads up on calls for fire/EMT.

I also used it traveling to get a heads up on accident calls.
If i saw a accident scene and the call had not gone out yet i would call it in.
If the call had went out i did not have to make a repeat call tying up the radio dispatch.
It also gave me a running ETA on the units rolling on the call.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Some states they are illegal now. I have heard that if you have a HAM license (which I do - Extra) then your good to go. I have never had to prove that but I have heard that from many HAMs while talking around the bands. Anyone ever been stopped by LE and showed them your amateur license regarding this??

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

The 1.9 update was not the reason. They are coming from the factory with these blocked out. The 1.9 update is a sleeper with only the attenuate issue resolved. My friend's older Pro 106 I referenced in this thread has the 1.9 update and still picks up the frequncys I mentioned that in newer units are blocked out.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wiz4769
Sorry but you can NOT decrypt anything digital. Not even with a 1k scanner.

Actually you can - Joplin MO Police Department is a prime example of that.

Not to mention several Hospital Public Safety Departments who have moved to digital as well.
edit on 5-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

Sorry. Thought you ment encryption. My bad

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Humint1
reply to post by Xcathdra

A lot of things here have been rebanded to accomodate the spectrum allocation so that Sprint/Nextel and law enforcement can operate without any intermod and/or interference with one another. We also have quite a bit of 700MHz interoperability going on here which is why I ordered a Uniden 396 last night and will trash the Pro 106 since Radio Shack/GRE wants to play up to the fed. There is no reason for them to limit the scanner at all.

Thats m y argument as well. I dont understand why Radio shack would limit the scan, and I fail to understand why the feds would make the request knowing they cant. Public safety frequncies are public information.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiz4769

I'd like for people to indulge Radio Shack and GRE with compliants and we tried this by posting a thread on Radio Reference but since RR has endeared itself to the commercial radio manufactuers the discussion was deleted. As is most things that are posted that go against the grain so-to-speak. But yes, people need to write, e-mail these scanner makers and let them know if they are going to play into big bro, the WE will not be buying their products. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

"Never going to happen"
I get a kick out of hearing people say that. It is like daring the Universe to make it happen.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Wiz4769
Sorry but you can NOT decrypt anything digital. Not even with a 1k scanner.

Actually you can - Joplin MO Police Department is a prime example of that.

Not to mention several Hospital Public Safety Departments who have moved to digital as well.

Those are digital but not encrypted, big difference, Again you can NOT decrypt digital encryption P25 at this time period.

<< 1   >>

join