It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Reportedly Ignoring Veterans' Graves in Philippines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

U.S. Reportedly Ignoring Veterans' Graves in Philippines

www.foxnews.com

CLARK, Philippines – Walking along the rows of tombstones here offers a glimpse of the wars America has fought and the men and women who waged them. But most of the grave markers have been half-buried for 20 years, and there is little hope that the volcanic ash obscuring names, dates and epitaphs will be cleared any time soon.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I understand that this was a Natural disaster and all but the least that Uncle Sam could do in my opinion is help with upkeep. These people that died at least deserve that. It's a shame that we are getting ready to celebrate Independence Day and our government has forgotten those who have fought to maintain our independence.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
lol uncle sam doesn't care about the graves nor the people who died.

Only time uncle sam will react is when the public has a public out cry over it .

Thats why they step in and say hey look at me im for the vets...

We have homeless vets in the united states still alive ... do you really think the gov gives two shiates? lol

let alone the dead vets....

Only time anything happens is when there is a photo op involved and being the guy that said i did it ! vote for me

sad ... yes...

reality ? unfortuntely

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I agree with you 100% being a Vet myself I can tell you it's a pain in the arse to even get some of the things that are supposedly guaranteed to you as a veteran. It's sad but true.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Just par for the course. You think the government cares about the veterans? Time for reality check.

IMO anyone enlisting is a fool if he thinks he's protecting freedom, the constitution, the American people or he thinks the government will take care of him... time to read some history.

Remember the Bonus Army? Bonus Army

The Bonus Army was the popular name of an assemblage of some 43,000 marchers—17,000 World War I veterans, their families, and affiliated groups—who gathered in Washington, D.C., in the spring and summer of 1932 to demand immediate cash-payment redemption of their service certificates. Its organizers called it the Bonus Expeditionary Force to echo the name of World War I's American Expeditionary Force, while the media called it the Bonus March. It was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant.

Many of the war veterans had been out of work since the beginning of the Great Depression. The World War Adjusted Compensation Act of 1924 had awarded them bonuses in the form of certificates they could not redeem until 1945. Each service certificate, issued to a qualified veteran soldier, bore a face value equal to the soldier's promised payment plus compound interest. The principal demand of the Bonus Army was the immediate cash payment of their certificates.

Retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler, one of the most popular military figures of the time, visited their camp to back the effort and encourage them. On July 28, U.S. Attorney General William D. Mitchell ordered the veterans removed from all government property. Washington police met with resistance, shots were fired and two veterans were wounded and later died. President Herbert Hoover then ordered the army to clear the veterans' campsite. Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur commanded the infantry and cavalry supported by six tanks. The Bonus Army marchers with their wives and children were driven out, and their shelters and belongings burned.

Not to mention the crappy care they get from Walter Reeds, the rare support they get with PTSD, etc...

Sorry but the government doesn't give a damn about the troops. Like Kissinger said...

Military men are dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns for foreign policy.
Is really what they think of them. Time to wake up and stop enlisting in the army.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I agree with you there. As I said before we don't even get all of our benefits and we have to fight for the ones we have when we get out.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
As a veteran this makes me sad. I live in the Philippines, and this is not the only forgotten US Veteran's cemetery there. There is also one on Leyte and I believe two others on other islands. The American Battle Monuments Commission is the US agency that is supposed to care for overseas cemetery's, the Manila cemetery and the Cabanatuan American Memorial (Bataan) that they acknowledge in the PI . The Leyte cemetery was in good condition the last I knew.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

After we gave Iwo Jima back to the japs,we brought every single Servicemans body home....since the flips dont seem to appreciate what we did for them,lets get our people home to proper graves...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

This cemetery was cared for by the US forces on Clark, as stated in the original source article, not the locals. The locals do care for the other cemetery's in the PI.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

But will they continue to care for them?..and why arent the troops at Clark doing anythng?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

Clark AB closed in 1991 after the Mt. Pinatubo volcano erupted. There are no permanently stationed military personnel in the PI except for the embassy Marines.

As to the first part of the question who knows.

join