It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If We Don't Have A RIGHT To Question A Police Officer Then We Are Living In A Police State!"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Im sure we all remember this video from a few weeks back, the poor lady was in her yard recording police action... where the officers LET THE GUY GO, and arrested her instead!

Im glad she is speaking out against this tyranny! And also bringing up previous "bad cop" incidents...

SPEAK OUT EVERYBODY, We need to get over this fricking defeatism that is a plague on our country

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You do have a right to question the police. The problem is people dont understand there is a time and place for that. A 3rd party trying to question an officer who is on a traffic stop is not the time nor place. Demanding answers from an officer during the middle of a call or questioning doesnt quite work either.

While I understand people hate the police and so they are targeted because of it, how come you dont bother to go after the courts? Seriously, walk into a courtroom during the middle of a trial and question the judge and watch what happens.

While I understand the fear mongering peole like to do, they need to understand the law and how the system works before opening their mouths.

The guy was let go because no weapon was found in the vehicle, the driver had no warrants for his arrest, he had a valid license and proof of insurance. Exactly what would he be arrested for? Or are you suggesting that because the dirver was stopped and because he is black he should have been arrested?

Secondly, the lady was not arrested for recording the incident. She was arrested because she would not move back. A I have stated in other threads, you guys need to get that through your heads. She was NOT arrested because she was recording. Hell her own recording proves that.

I also find it intresting you guys ignore the females past history, namely the fact she has been arrested in the past for the exact same behavior while protesting foreclosures.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Wow, they clearly state in that video that observing or questioning the police is not a right we as civilians/citizens have. And they also tell us how Emily Good's video now puts police in danger because people are so upset about this incident. Well, this is what happens when people get to see for themselves the abusive police offices abusing their powers & it doest start or stop with a beat cop or detective, it goes all the way to the top.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by Xcathdra

Good work, you replied to a 7 minute video in 2 minutes..

Obviously you must have seen it before right?

I have stated in other threads

Obviously if you were capable of reading it seems the OP implies this isn't the first time he's touched on this specific event on this site.

+30 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Yeah but an officer cannot order someone who is standing in their own lawn to move back into the house.

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Was there a time and a place to question the Nazi Secret Police? Don't try and say that they are any different from our police in this era and this country. The only difference is which language they tell us to crouch down and relinquish our rights. Anyone who supports these men and women, is supporting traitors and oath breakers, as they swore to DEFEND the constitution, and instead they spit on it! You sir, have no right to call yourself an American.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Thank you - and no its not the first time ive been invovled in this topic on this site -

ATS Thread - Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)
ATS Thread - Case Dismissed Against Woman Arrested While Videotaping Police

and in both of those threads the underlying argument is false. She never was arrested for recording the Police. She was arrested for failing to oey a lawful command.

Since the charges were dropped by the PA, MS. Good has since filed a civil suit for false arrest and violatin her civil rights - which wont go anywhere.

They also ignore that MS. Good has been down this road prior to this incident, up to and including being arrested for failing to obey lawful commands by other officers while proteting foreclosures.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Well, this woman is definitely getting her propaganda out there. I just wish her 15 minutes of fame were over, it will be soon though. I like how she is suing now…uh, for monetary damages. Too funny.

She is a professional agitator and a hate monger, plain and simple. She knows that as long as she is on camera, she will be untouchable. Unfortunately for her, and fortunately for the rest of us, she will fade away with the next story.

Move along, nothing to see here...and I do mean nothing.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
she's on TV eh ?

lets give her the ATS treatment then

that was her plan all along !!!!! she is eeeevil 1!!!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

This is true but for the first time in my life I feel threatened and powerless, more terrified of law enforcement than criminals. In fact I live in a pretty safe area and so the Police have nothing to do but stop people for petty traffic violations to bulk up the Police Retirement Fund.
I never received anything other than parking tickets in my life but here a short time and already two tickets. Changing lanes quickly which was deemed hazardous driving and then again going 8 miles over the speed limit. Cost for the two tickets to keep points off my license, $500 and only because one of them I bargained down.

The over use and indiscriminate use of the taser, also shooting unarmed suspects in broad daylight...I know it is tough battle field being a Police Officer in today's dangerous climate especially when crime is rampant and you are outgunned by thieves.
But when the mentality turns on the citizens and old women are tased during traffic stops to keep them in line, it has gone over the top of what is permissible to protect the community.

Police deal with corruption within ranks like the church deals with abusive Priests.

A tete et tete between the Cops and whatever entity of the government or State that "owns them" on behalf of "the people" needs to take place, and soon.

Identify the problems and reasons cops feel excessive force is required.
Try to eliminate as many of those reasons as possible in order to meet them halfway and then in no uncertain terms and at risk of severe penalty and expulsion -

FORBID excessive force, entrapment, coercion, quotas or any other abusive, invasive or revenue producing trick tactics to be performed on the public at large.

I would not necessarily fine the Police Department or do anything that limits their capacity to do their job but I would make their record of abuse public and keep it in the open as a factor for or against new growth and prosperity of the area and that department.
edit on 3-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
You do have a right to question the police. The problem is people dont understand there is a time and place for that. A 3rd party trying to question an officer who is on a traffic stop is not the time nor place. Demanding answers from an officer during the middle of a call or questioning doesnt quite work either.

Then clearly the cop in her instance was by far in the wrong. Thank you finally explaining why you actually agree finally. Obviously during a traffic stop was not the time for him to divert his attention and question the woman. Not the time and place.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by loneranger26

Yeah but an officer cannot order someone who is standing in their own lawn to move back into the house.

Depending on whats going on, yes we can. A straightforward view that you are using is valid to an extent. If we are doing something that involves people with weapons ( in the op articlecase the reason for the traffic stop also dealt with the report of a gun in the car) or some other danger present.

If I am invovled in a foot pursuit, and that pursuit ends in your front yard, you ahve no right to come out and involved yourself.

So all things being equal you are correct, however you are viewing it in a black and white manner, and its not the way it works. Simply being on privat property does not make a person immune to criminal prosecution or the ability to disregard a lawful command by the police.

Inb this case the PA dropped the case. Thats not to say the officer was in the wrong or that it cant happen again where the person wont have the charges dropped. To assume that just because your on private property you can do what you want while police are performing their job does not hold water, and the courts have stated as much, including SCOTUS rulings.

To being this back around to this thread topic though and the ability to question police.

You can question them all you want, but as I stated there is a time and place for everything. If a cop writes you a ticket you dont agree with, you can try to talk to the officer but we are not required to entertain the argument. Reason being is we dont determine guilt or innocence, the courts do. The proper venue to argue against the officer is to the Prosecuting Attorney, who is ultimatly responsible on whether charges go forward or not. If the charges go forward, then you aregue your case to the judge why the case should be thrown out.

Absent that, its up to the Government to prove you are guilty.

Demanding answers from the police in certain scenarios is a bad idea all around.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

So, in this case an unlawful arrest occurred. If I saw this happening I have no right to question it? Of course I do. I have speech protected by the first amendment and can question the motives and actions of a police officer. They are public servants. This means they serve the public and must answer to the public. Obviously, my speech is not a danger to a person with a gun, baton, pepper spray, and taser attached to their hip for God's sake.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh ok, you're an officer so you're obviously going to be an apologist for this shoddy police work. I guess you missed the part where the district attorney said that no crime was committed. Or are you willfully blind to that?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I dont know, Im not german, im not a Nazi, and I was not alive in the 30' and 40's to see firsthand what occured. However I love it when you guys bring up the stupid NAZI argument thinking its somehow the same. Its humerous to watch, and only reinforces the opinion that you really have no idea how to argue your point.

Remove the NAZIS from your bogus argument and replace it with Police INvestigation and insert almost any country name on the planet and you get the same thing.

Please show me, in US law, where it says a person has a right to argue and queston the police. Since people say its a right, please point it out.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

I have speech protected by the first amendment and can question the motives and actions of a police officer. They are public servants. This means they serve the public and must answer to the public.

Yep, I agree.

But why not do it at the police station. I'm sure they have complaint forms.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

so what kind of behavior is a protest of foreclosure?and what does it say about her?
are we also omitting the burglary unanswered plus the ticketing?and in both of those threads the underlying argument is false. She never was arrested for recording the Police. She was arrested for failing to oey a lawful command.this statement is false as per the outcome of her case.
edit on 3-7-2011 by bumpufirst because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join