It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just What is a SHTF Scenario?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Yeah...I mentioned ELEnin and Planet X because even if they are hoaxes...sometime in the future, the odds are that something will strike Earth. Simply looking at the geological scars of the earth prove this.

As for the ATMs...

Having gone through Hurricane Fran back in 1996 in NC... I remember the faces and desperation of so many people. I worked at a grocery store back then...and we would haul pallets of ice straight from the truck, and before we coulod get back to the sales floor...it would be empty...the floor was dry and it didn't even have a chance to melt.

That was about day 2-3... on day one...the power was off all over...and I couldn't work...so I went to our competition across town, knowing they had a back up diesel generator for the refridgeration and registers..

It was eerie. The lights were off except for the emrgency lamps...people were crowding in there...all the good stuff like lighter fluid, charcoal, matches, candles, batteries, can openers...anything like that was long gone. People were freaking out, just using their arms to wipe shelves of canned goods off...not even knowing what they were buying... people were buying pig's feet and canned meats and pickled beets...they didn't even eat that stuff in real life.

It looked exactly... and I mean exactly like what you would expect in a SHTF scenario. People couldn't access the banks and ATMs...no electricity and communications. The lines were for cash only... their was a policeman up front and one in the back to keep things from getting to chaotic....surreal indeed.

Having seen that, I realized how vulnerable we were and I started from that day on to really get prepared. I had always been living along those lines, but that really motivated me to live the lifestyle.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Your list of what people were looking for is an excellent place for people to start right now. As I understand it, the same thing happened in Japan. Batteries were gone on a flash. There are so many little things you can do right now that are cheap and easy. A Plan C approach doesn't have to cost a lot. I really got a lesson when my generator failed to start and I had to go back to Plan C. I got way too complacent, but fortunately I was able to (sigh, darn it) go back to Plan C. I guess my lesson is that no matter how you prepare, something could go awry.

On the firearms issue, I'm there, but I wouldn't take that lightly. You need training. I just got back from Frontsight in Nevada from a 4-day intensive defensive handgun course. Most of it is about attitude. There have been a few "What gun do I get" threads. I would think a Ruger 10/22 would be good for small game and ammo is cheap, but I don't think a .22 is good enough for personal defense. Lord knows I sure don;t want to find myself in that kind of situation. All I can say is, move out of the city!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join