It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Winter Veg? (Birmingham, England)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Hi there everyone,

I wonder if some experienced gardeners can help me, I live in Birmingham, England and I have made up a new vegatable plot, I have had a few things in pots which have been transfered and growing in the ground, however I have missed the main season for most of the things I have.

I was wondering, what are the best vegatables to grow through the autumn and winter here in the UK?
I live in Birmingham, England... which is in the centre of the country, the weather is variable each year and it has snowed the last few years at winter. The soil I am growing in isn't too bad, as I have added compost and various nutrients into it.

So your thoughts please? Which Vegatables am I going to get the best results with over the coming autumn and winter months?
edit on 23-6-2011 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Carrots, lettuce, peas are some cool weather veges. Do a search on it. You might be able to grow more if your winters are mild. Especially if you use a cold frame.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

I have just planted out winter cabbage ( 3 varieties) cauliflower, spinach and purple sprouting broccoli for winter use. You may be a little late to start them from seed this year, so hunt around for some plants you can pop in the ground now. Also look out for pumpkin or squash plants - they will be ready late autumn, but store very well.

Late carrots and parsnip can still be sown from seed now for winter picking.

If you have the space and money - or are handy at diy - a greenhouse or cold frame will extend your growing season .

Its worth doing a bit of research on what and when to plant for next year so you are prepared.

And well done! Sounds like you are well on your way to producing much of your own fresh food.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Butternut squash is harvested in the fall and it's nutritious and delicious! It also stores very well. Also Acorn and spaghetti squashes.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Just remembered - its not too late to start some dwarf beans now - they will be ready around October. I usually start mine in April (indoors) and plant out in May - we are picking those now. And then plant some more in the veggie plot in mid June for October picking.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies so far...

the message I am getting a lot of root vegetables ae good for the autumn and winter?

What about potatoes, when is the best time to do those?

I also need to start thinking about various prevservation methods, pickling, drying and canning etc.

new topics

top topics

join