It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record Breaking Events - Legitimate Data? Or Ratings Trick?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Record Breaking Events - Legitimate Data? Or Ratings Trick?

I know that I am not the only one to notice this but I find it important to address. For the past year I have been meaning to note every news report containing phrases like, "record breaking" or "largest event in [insert unfortunate area's name here]'s history since..." regarding natural and man made events that have occurred for the past two or three years. I’ve finally made the time to note some articles just in the month of June alone. Are these reports accurate? Or do you think its the main stream media is feeding off the public's recent interest in the apocalypse and 2012 by publishing phrases like these in their reports? I personally would like to see the statistical data regarding how many record breaking events that have happened in the last few years compared to the last century. Especially since these reports have data to back up the recorded events. For me, I feel it is obvious that the coming years are going to be quite interesting. Feel free to add to the list as I'm sure there are additional reports out there.

Your thoughts…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AqHbal06CwrJcNQITnuGey8PLBIF;_ylu=X3o'___'JramQ3NTI3BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNjE1L3Vz X3NjaV9maXJlX3NjaWVuY2UEY3BvcwMyBHBvcwM0BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2FyaXpvbmFibGF6ZQ--

Posted June 14th 2011

The Arizona fire, with almost half a million acres destroyed, makes it one of the largest since statehood in 1912. A related blaze is under way in New Mexico, another fire has forced people to evacuate parts of Colorado, and the National Weather Service has issued "red flag" warnings — indicating conditions favorable to wildfires — for parts of Texas, Florida and Alabama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AvCKcK6VhJE0mK9jtxautBoPLBIF;_ylu=X3o'___'Jtc3ZnMnZ2BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNjE0L3 VzX3NjaV9ndWxmX2RlYWRfem9uZQRjcG9zAzMEcG9zAzUEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDZm9yZWNhc3RwcmVk

Posted June 14th 2011

Scientists predict this year's "dead zone" of low-oxygen water in the northern Gulf of Mexico will be the largest in history — about the size of Lake Erie — because of more runoff from the flooded Mississippi River valley.

news.yahoo.com...

Posted June 14th 2011

Above-average temperatures were hitting across the southern United States on Tuesday, with drought-parched west Texas and north Florida bearing the brunt of the heat.
A high of 110 degrees is forecast for Midland, Texas on Tuesday, shattering the city's daily record of 105 degrees set in 1945, said Victor Murphy, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Fort Worth.

news.yahoo.com...

Posted June 14th 2011

China is hit by heavy summer rain every year. In 2010, downpours across large swathes triggered the nation's worst floods in a decade, leaving more than 4,300 people dead or missing.

news.yahoo.com...

posted June 17th 2011

A flooded river in eastern China is at its highest level in more than 50 years, and thousands of train passengers were stranded after landslides buried parts of a railway line in the southwest, officials said.

news.yahoo.com...

posted June 22, 2011

Minot, N.D., is bracing for the worst flooding in its history as both Canadian and U.S. flood control dams release ever increasing amounts of water into the swollen Souris River.

www.npr.org...

posted June 6th 2011

Slow-Motion Landslide Threatens Homes In New York
Largest Landslide In State's History

P.S. Note that I did not even include the deadly tornadoes through Joplin, the earthquake in Japan or last year’s oil spill.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
well, the gulf of mexico dead zone, is irrelevant because water moves in a current, any dead zone will be absorbed by the waters of the atlantic and the gulf.

one thing to remember about oceans is that they are all connected. it is all one body of a large area of water. some of it is frozen in the poles, but water can still move around freely around the globe.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I believe these to be legitimate. Journalists will commonly write something like, "This is the largest _______ since February of [recent year], when yada yada yada...."

In other words, they look for the most recent event of similar scope--and sometimes it was just a short time ago. In some cases these really are 50- or 100-year events. But don't let the statistics mislead you. There are 50-, 100-, and even 200-year events all the time; so I don't think things are significantly worse than they've been in the past few years.

Just my opinion....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by xanaoded

The first time I became aware of this trend was a few years ago in an article about 'super catastrophes' that were much greater than previous known events, and the increasing frequency of their occurrence. This article was about the main insurance underwriters taking severe beatings.

TTBOMK, insurance is similar to banking, oil and many other industries. There are many smaller names of companies but when you trace them back they are part of a few huge mega-corporations, its all part of marketing.

xanaoded, insurance underwriters have incredible information about almost everything. They have to in order to not just stay in business but to spot growing trends and future hot spots, so they can keep their massive profit levels sky-high every year. Insurers employ actuaries (high IQs, well educated) to stay on top of this information.

I'm thinking you may find some good data on the realities of record breaking events by checking out the insurance company information. Ever see the soft cover books companies send their stockholders which detail their financials? Difficult to understand but loaded with info. You may be able to get copies for free by telephoning and politely explaining you are a potential investor, and before you place funds you would like to look over a past Shareholders Annual Report. Who knows, they may even be willing and able to send you copies from the past few years.

Best of luck with your project.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What about the Pacific Ocean being in completely ruin with sharks bashing their heads in on the beach with random lesions or the bigger than texas garbage wad out there....

and why didn't the media ever say anything about the 2,000,000 (MILLION) acres that burned in Texas?! Here's an update posted about that situation today...
www.ktxs.com...

I'm pretty sure Mexico has had terrible droughts and wildfires this year

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
You are 100% correct.

What you're noticing is the replacement of rational perspective with a blend of propaganda, sensationalism, and your own version of the "shock and awe" campaign that TPTB are waging against civilisation.

Even if they say: The biggest *event* in a decade", it only tells you that it's not the biggest ever, but it sounds good as a sound byte for the evening news.

Keep perspective.
Peace

new topics

top topics

join