It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those in NW New Jersey...Sussex County...tornado warning....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... WESTERN MORRIS COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW JERSEY... NORTHEASTERN HUNTERDON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY... SOUTH CENTRAL SUSSEX COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY... EASTERN WARREN COUNTY IN NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY... * UNTIL 545 PM EDT * AT 506 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR GREAT MEADOWS-VIENNA...OR 15 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NEWTON...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... HACKETTSTOWN BY 520 PM EDT... BUDD LAKE AND 8 MILES SOUTHWEST OF STANHOPE BY 525 PM EDT... 7 MILES NORTHEAST OF CALIFON AND 7 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NETCONG BY 530 PM EDT... LONG VALLEY BY 535 PM EDT... CHESTER AND 6 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SUCCASUNNA BY 540 PM EDT... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER A WORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT IS AVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS.

abclocal.go.com...

Just wanted to get this out asap for those of you there.

Ainge

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Interesting it's a warning if no tornado has been seen, usually it's just a tornado watch when a cloud capable of producing a tornado is seen, and a warning occurs once a tornado has actually touched down. This coming from a guy who gets tornado watches and warnings every year.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

In this case time is of much importance to those who live in that area. I said it was a warning as did the news caster. Tornado storms are very unpredictable and where we live here in Queens at least, we had a tornado right down the side road I live near right now. It came out of high winds and these storms they are talking about at channel 7. The tornado that went down my street, came out of no where, with no warning.

Having lived in Tornado ally, a warning is a warning. Period. you get your suvival kit ready and pack it down where you will stay safe. I lived the experience.

Thanks for your comments though, I wanted people to be prepared not challenged on tornado knowledge. Sorry if that is not your agenda.

Ainge
edit on 03/21/2011 by Ainge because: forgot information...sorry.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ainge

My agenda was just to express my curiosity on the reports of a tornado warning when the weather definition of a warning is a touched down tornado and a watch is when storms capable of producing tornados are forming. Your agenda was to warn. Nothing wrong with that.

The weather for that day indicates:

At 5:19 p.m., National Weather Service radar continued to indicate a severe thunderstorm capable of creating a tornado.
The tornado was located near Hackettstown and moving southeast at 25 mph. The storm will be near Budd Lake by 5:30, near Long Valley by 5:35, and six miles southwest of Succasunna by 5:40.

So if there was a tornado touching down, then a warning is what it would be called. If it was just a storm capable of creating tornados, technically that is a warning - at least in the tornado belt, other parts of the country may erroneously or preemptively decide to call it a warning, I would assume so people take the necessary precautions. In any case, I wasn't arguing with you, just typing what I was thinking and replying to your thread.

Hackettstown, NJ Supercell June 22, 2011

And here are some people in the area commenting on the storm in real time and after the fact. Maybe there was a tornado touch down, but thankfully not a deadly one.

top topics

join