It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60km from Fukushima : 81 uSv/hr or 800+ times acceptable levels of radiation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
81 microsieverts per hour detected 60 km outside nuclear evacuation zone — 800+ times acceptable radiation levels (PHOTO)

[...] This particular reading shows that radiation levels in this hotspot are 810 times the acceptable levels. This picture was taken in Fukushima city, 60km outside the banned area. The city has been declared safe by the Japanese government

81.37 uSv/hr or 712.8 mSv/year... from wiki :

Current average dose limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year

Criterion for relocation after Chernobyl disaster: 350 mSv/lifetime

That's only 2 times the Chernobyl evacuation limit for an ENTIRE LIFETIME... in a year... yeah totally safe.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Boy that sure is one hell od a dose, that dirt kinda looks like theres a greyish powder on top of it, wonder if its part of the thick radioactive plume that disperced when the reactor blew up on March

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Tellurium 132 was detected on Guam/CNMI on March 22, 2011:

www.epa.gov...

There have been no publicly released data by the Federal EPA for Guam/CNMI since April 4th, 2011.

....Do you wonder why?

Tellurium 132 only has a life of 100 hours. Only found after a reactor went critical.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
over 700 M/SV a year. Not ideal.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Its over 9000!!!!,
oh wait, 700...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
That's not what it says here, although the measurement in the link you posted might be more recent.

www.world-nuclear.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Greetings:

Your source also said this:

After two weeks the three reactors (units 1-3) were stable with active intervention, but still not with proper cooling re-established for removal of decay heat. Achievement of 'cold shutdown' with recirculated water is not expected for some months.

And this:

(...)
Media coverage of the Fukushima drama often ignored the context of the enormous natural disaster which greatly affected how it played out.
(...)

Let's give credit where credit is due.

Representing the people and organizations of the global nuclear profession

No wonder your comments follow the same old, same old...

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

I'm sorry but do you have a Ph.D in nuclear energy? What's that? You don't? You're a guy sitting on the internet in the north Georgia mountains?

Please prove how the information on their site is wrong, I won't hold my breath though.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

First off Posting from a Pro-Nuclear site is probably the worst source of news you can get about Fukushima.

Also TEPCO down-played and low-balled the radiation readings coming out and it took them forever to admit that full melt-downs had occurred in the first day after the quake.

People should have been evacuated immediately after that but they insisted a meltdown didn't happen.

Later on we learn that the Reactors went into melt down in the first day after the Earth quake and TEPCO even admitted this themselves; on May the 15th

TEPCO admits FULL-MELTDOWN happened the same day as quake.

In-Fact they almost made Northern Japan or Japan for that matter uninhabitable. Or highly Radio-active.

It could have been much worse but its still really bad.....

I suggest you watch the Last video anyone un-aware of what TEPCO almost caused. It could have been much worse.

But the situation is still grim non-the-less.

edit on 22-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
81.37 uSv/hr or 712.8 mSv/year...

Right, but the meter is sitting on the ground. It needs to be held above the ground to get an accurate reading. There have been videos posted on ATS of a guy taking readings around Tokyo, he gets normal readings above ground but the readings go insane if he lays the meter on the ground outdoors (I wouldn't recommend camping out in a sleeping bag in the next, oh say... CENTURY in Japan).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Right. But guess what. You breathe that dust, you are screwed. You drink that dust, you are screwed. You eat that dust, you are screwed...depending if you eat and drink it everyday... which you probably are.

So unless you stay inside, with windows never opened, and when you go outside, you wear a mask... and you eat canned food... and you drink filtrated water... (which 99.9% of people don't do), you are sure to get some of that radioactive dust into your body... and if it happens, you are screwed.

The adults can take some precautions... but the kids, forget it, they are kids... they will do what kids do and it will take a day and they will be contaminated. And since they are kids, it'll have a way worse effect on them.

What TEPCO and the Japanese government is just criminal.

Every additional day they lie, more people will die.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by Vitchilo
81.37 uSv/hr or 712.8 mSv/year...

Right, but the meter is sitting on the ground. It needs to be held above the ground to get an accurate reading. There have been videos posted on ATS of a guy taking readings around Tokyo, he gets normal readings above ground but the readings go insane if he lays the meter on the ground outdoors (I wouldn't recommend camping out in a sleeping bag in the next, oh say... CENTURY in Japan).

Do you really know how a radiation detection device works? It doesn't matter how you hold it or if it's placed on the ground or in the air. If the reading goes insane on the ground than just because the radiation lever there is insane. Ever thought about heavy particles laying around on the floor emiting alpha radiation that will be shielded by a few centimeters of air. Just have a look what plutonium does and think again.

So as long as you just fly above the streets everythink is ok but never touch the ground again. You may raise the dust into the air and breath this into your lung. But hey, your device hold up in the air tells you everything is ok so this can't be bad.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm so depressed now. Jesus. We've got the Nebraska Nuclear Meltdown with total media black out and we've got hot particles in our lungs in the US what does it all mean? Has my life expectancy gone down by 20 years?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Like previosly mentioned, the conditions and reactions will prove to be Worse than Chernobyl.
Due to the questional methods of the storage of spent fuel rods(and the like,) above the reactors.
Kelp supplementary vitamins anyone? For Thyroid saturation anyway.

What about the rest of the Isotopes? We are all on our own in that regard, even "The Elites."

We are all on this big "Blue Boat" together. There is no escape.

See you on the other side.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Jeez,this is terrible... i hope all these nuclear problems get solved somehow... this radition reading levels are off the chart... anyone know where you can find any new info on the disasters in japan?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Can SOMEBODY tell me what the hell is accurate?

We're doomed......We're over reacting....

I want to know WTF I have as options to protect myself or am I being a wuss?

Did anyone warn the sea life by the meltdown? Can they swim by it or not yet?

Will the sea life be able to WALK to Tokyo by the time this is over?

I don't do Geiger Counters that well.

What the hell are we doing to reduce whatever the measurements are?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Time to get owned by cancer as messed up as it sounds! lol

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

I'm sorry but do you have a Ph.D in nuclear energy? What's that? You don't? You're a guy sitting on the internet in the north Georgia mountains?

Please prove how the information on their site is wrong, I won't hold my breath though.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

Greetings:

You have no idea who we are.

What makes you think we are a guy?

What information would you like proven wrong?

To make it easy for you to follow, we'll just use the first example from the post in question.

From world nuclear association website (updated 21 June 2011):

After two weeks the three reactors (units 1-3) were stable with active intervention, but still not with proper cooling re-established for removal of decay heat. Achievement of 'cold shutdown' with recirculated water is not expected for some months.

The facts:

Japan Admits TOTAL Meltdown at 3 Nuclear Reactors Within Hours of Earthquake

There are many sources for this information, but this thread will bring you up-to-date.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

When you have read all the posts (19,000+), as we have, perhaps you would like to become involved in the discussion - as we have been from the beginning - and enlighten those folks whom you may not have reached as yet.

We look forward to your response.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

The three unstable reactors are supposed to be brought to "a stable and cold shutdown" by January 2012. Despite the setbacks Tepco says it is still on track to meet that deadline.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Still leaking radiation till at least January. IMO probably alot longer, cause I think they don't know what they are doing.

"Fukushima is the biggest industrial catastrophe in the history of mankind," Arnold Gundersen, a former nuclear industry senior vice-president, told Al Jazeera. "Fukushima has three nuclear reactors exposed and four fuel cores exposed. "You probably have the equivalent of 20 nuclear reactor cores because of the fuel cores, and they are all in desperate need of being cooled, and there is no means to cool them effectively."

english.aljazeera.net...

The sea is contaminated so our sealife is contaminated, the soil is contaminated so our food will be contaminated, radiation in the air/rain means drinking water is contaminated. The way I see it, even if contamination is still below allowable limits (which I believe is definitely not the case in many places), accumulation over time with the air, food, and water will put us way over the allowable limit.

I'm thinking most of the earth's population will be living shorter lives.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Attacking a post based on the authors geographic location? Seriously?

To enlighten us all with your technical expertise why don't you explain the several types of detector currently available and how their operation varies? You know, so we can "Deny Ignorance".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join