It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water system starts up at nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

A system aimed at cleansing water of oil and radioactive elements from contaminated water began operating Friday at Japan's crippled Fukushima power plant.

The system, which cost $663 million, had a number of last-minute problems, forcing Tepco to delay the start from Thursday to Friday.

"It is something like a chemical plant constructed in a rush, so we have to go by trial and error," said Hidehiko Nishiyama, deputy director general of the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency. "We had to do this in a hurry, so conditions have been very severe."
source

its nice to see some progress being made.

I dont like the end of the article saying its a chemical plant constructed in a rush and they are going by trial and error.
but what are ya gunna do?
I just see another disaster in this water filtering system.
edit on 6/18/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is terrible, I fear for our brothers and sisters, aunts, unkles, mothers and fathers who live in Japan. After all they have had to endure, now they have this as well. I only hope that they find within them, the strength and inner light and love and peace to spring forth from the fiery ashes, like a phoenix with giant golden wings. I hope their phoenix soars above the destruction and despair and lands atop a great mountain. And then the phoenix says unexpectedly in a human voice " I am the souls of those lost in recent times in this great land, and I plant my feet upon the crest of this mountain and now we begin again!".

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

TOKYO — The Tokyo Electric Power Company said Saturday that the filtration system it had struggled to put into operation at the damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant had broken down after just five hours, a disappointing setback in its efforts to cool the reactors.

source

Hm, five hours and they reach the level they were estimating they would reach in a month.

Sounds like several of their calculations were more than a little off.

join