It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with Cisco routing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have one router with 4 serial ports and 2 fast ether ports. This router is the DCE, and the clock rate on each port is set to 2000000. Each serial port is connected to another router. The first router is a static connection. The other three are running RIP, EIGRP and OSPF respectively. I have configured route redistribution on the main router and all networks are talking to each other except for the static connection.

How do I get my lone static connection to talk to the other networks that are running the three routing protocols I mentioned? here is a diagram from Cisco Packet Tracer

The 200.0.0.0 network is the static route.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
I have one router with 4 serial ports and 2 fast ether ports. This router is the DCE, and the clock rate on each port is set to 2000000. Each serial port is connected to another router. The first router is a static connection. The other three are running RIP, EIGRP and OSPF respectively. I have configured route redistribution on the main router and all networks are talking to each other except for the static connection.

How do I get my lone static connection to talk to the other networks that are running the three routing protocols I mentioned? here is a diagram from Cisco Packet Tracer

The 200.0.0.0 network is the static route.

Where is your static route going to?

Why are you using a static route if you have routing protocols configured?

Unless you was using a floating static route then I'm not sure why you would need one with the topology you have mentioned......?

What command are you using to create your static route?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

I think what your saying here is that you can't ping the network Portsmouth from Hampton, which is the link you have configured a static route?

So on Hampton you need:

"ip route ip-address-of remote network, subnet mask, next hop address"

and then on Portsmouth

"ip route ip-address-of remote network, subnet mask, next hop address"
edit on 17/6/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

This is a lab project for a class I'm taking. If it were the real world I would just use OSPF for the entire thing, but I can't. The idea is for all of the hosts to ping each other. They all do, but the host at the end of the static route is "destination unreachable" from all of the other hosts.

I used the following command to configure the static route

Router(config)#ip address 200.0.0.1 255.255.255.0.s0/0 (main router)

Router(config)#ip address 200.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 s0/0 (secondary router)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

This is a lab project for a class I'm taking. If it were the real world I would just use OSPF for the entire thing, but I can't. The idea is for all of the hosts to ping each other. They all do, but the host at the end of the static route is "destination unreachable" from all of the other hosts.

If that's the command your typing word for word, then it will never work and the IOS will reject the command.

Correct syntax for a statically configured route is "ip route"

so Router(config)# ip route 200.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 s0/0
and vice versa on opposite router

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

If that's the command your typing word for word, then it will never work and the IOS will reject the command.

Correct syntax for a statically configured route is "ip route"

so Router(config)# ip route 200.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 s0/0
and vice versa on opposite router

edit on 17-6-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Absolutely my pleasure, I'm studying for my CCNA exam at present and it does get a little mind warping at times.

But really, it's not that difficult if you can learn the syntax, you wanted a route so remember "ip route" otherwise the router doesn't know what your telling it to do.

Just wait till you have to start configuring Frame Relay, ACL's, STP, VTP, etc

But glad to have helped, any more questions with any related then drop me a U2U, I'm more than happy to help however I can and it also reinforces my own learning.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Absolutely my pleasure, I'm studying for my CCNA exam at present and it does get a little mind warping at times.

But really, it's not that difficult if you can learn the syntax, you wanted a route so remember "ip route" otherwise the router doesn't know what your telling it to do.

Just wait till you have to start configuring Frame Relay, ACL's, STP, VTP, etc

But glad to have helped, any more questions with any related then drop me a U2U, I'm more than happy to help however I can and it also reinforces my own learning.

Cool... thanks.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Cool... thanks.

Got it working now?

Just wondering if you need to redistribute the static route? But as far as I know, configure the static route and as long as the routers connected networks are advertised via the routing protocol you should be okay.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Just wondering if you need to redistribute the static route?

That's what I was thinking as well or perhaps a route-map & prefix-list.
2nd

brill

new topics

top topics

join